Flight Review

AggieMike88

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
The original "I don't know it all" of aviation.
I need to get a flight review done.

What subjects should I be reviewing for the classroom session?

answer: What's the CFI's favorite restaurant?

Seriously, have a talk with the Instructor, ask him what the game plan is.
:yeahthat:

Think of things you are rusty on or haven't looked at in awhile.

Talk to the instructor,see what he keys on,will save you time,also go over your weak spots.

"For pilots who have not flown at all for several years, a useful “rule of thumb” is to plan one hour of ground training and one hour of flight training for every year the pilot has been out of the cockpit."

Let's see now -- I quit flying in 1992 - it's now 2015 - if my math is correct that totals up to 23 hrs flight time and 23 hrs ground. That's 46 hrs total. I got my PPL in less time than that!:confused: Wonder if I rolled the plane after takeoff (at a safe altitude of course) he would cut me some slack :D

I spoke with a buddy who just had his about a month ago, basically a "friendly checkride" kind of thing, a lot less pressure but all the same maneuvers....steep turns, stalls, slow flight, short/soft field t/o and landings, and a lil ground work, airspace and whatnot.

Wings courses
This X100!!

WINGS is more rewarding than the conventional BFR IMO, learn more interesting stuff and can be applicable/practical.

Of course I might be biased, I developed and give an Android EFB presentation that counts as WINGS credit.

But, I would only say this for a pilot who is flying regularly, guys who fly less than 20 hrs a year are probably better off with a good refresher BFR both on the ground and in flight.

'Gimp

answer: What's the CFI's favorite restaurant?

Seriously, have a talk with the Instructor, ask him what the game plan is.

Already in the works by email.... Just wanted to get the I out of the gallery while waiting for his reply.

I agree with those advocating the FAASTeam Wings program. Many of these courses offer new ideas, thought and insights that one might not get during their PPL or other studies. The great thing is that you can take them throughout the year. Some are online others are in person. I like both. The in-person ones offer a very good opportunity to meet, network and socialize with fellow pilots and the folks at the FSDO.

There is still nothing wrong with the traditional flight review if that is what one prefers as it also gives the pilot an opportunity to ask the CFI about particular subjects that he might be weak or rusty on.

Either way, no matter how you do the ground portion (Wings or CFI), you still need to fly with a CFI so make sure your skills are sharp.

To me, the important thing is to make the process a real learning experience and not simply a matter of checking a box.

After an 8 year hiatus, career change, + 2 kids through college, I came back and studied Art Parma's "Biennial Flight Review" and did a 2 one hour warm up flights with the local FBO. The guy that gave me my flight review said he thought I did quite well.

517HDsF9TmL._SX343_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

I did mine a few months ago (May or June -- can't remember for sure). We covered airspace, VFR minima (if the ceilings were XXX, can we fly VFR -- that kind of thing), sectional chart symbology, currency regs, fuel requirements, W&B, cross country planning and a few other things as I recall. The CFI had a dog-eared FAR/AIM and went through the various sections picking out questions.

A good read through Part 91 will make things go faster if the CFI is making sure to cover that during the hour of ground. If you know it pretty well, then other things can be covered also. I find most FRs that I've done pilots have often forgotten or are unfamiliar with up to half of it.

Far TOO many people are making a far too big of a deal out of BFRs.
They are Not anything to get your panties into a twist about.
It isn't a protocol to get your cert yanked over.
Relax and enjoy the process and learn something new.
<sheesh>

WINGS seems like way more trouble than getting a flight review.

If you jam it all into a short span of time, yes. But there are plenty of classroom opportunities to handle the knowledge part over a wider span of time. Both online and live seminars.

Then you just need to invite a CFI on a a few burger run flights with you and have him observe you performing the required flight activities.

Log all of these as completed satisfactorily in the www.faasafety.gov site, and you're good.

You are 100% correct! Learning new things, expanding your knowledge base, possibly learning new skills, engaging in exchange of ideas with other pilot (many of who might know more than you) is far too much trouble. Why anyone would bother is beyond me.

Currently working on my tailwheel endorsement so I asked the CFI if we could just do a BFR too. I am not due until next February but I figured since I am going to be flying with an instructor for several hours anyway why not just do the BFR while we are at it. He should know if I can fly or not by then. :D

You are 100% correct! Learning new things, expanding your knowledge base, possibly learning new skills, engaging in exchange of ideas with other pilot (many of who might know more than you) is far too much trouble. Why anyone would bother is beyond me.

Exactly. :)

Two routes to the exact same thing, one's a lot more effort. Guess which way I'm going? Now, if the WINGS thing gave me something I didn't have with a flight review (like, lasted longer, for example), then I'd have incentive to go the other way.

Exactly. :)

Two routes to the exact same thing, one's a lot more effort. Guess which way I'm going? Now, if the WINGS thing gave me something I didn't have with a flight review (like, lasted longer, for example), then I'd have incentive to go the other way.

I would still encourage you to attend the various WINGS seminars offered in your area. The ones that happen around me are topics that I find very useful and the presenters do a great job.

Also, there is a large amount of online content that might be of interest to you. Going through on of those webinars will count as a required knowledge item.

Depends on the CFI

My paint points have always been,

Airspace
What do you need to get in it, who do you talk to and when, what are the wx requirments, what are the equipment requirments and pilot requirments.

Charts
Be able to pick all the airspace out, which airports are controlled, which have fuel, basically all the stuff on the chart key.

Aircraft,
Know how much fuel, fuel burns, how much oil your plane takes etc. If the review is in your personal aircraft the CFI will likley skip over this stuff, had a flight review my taildragger once and the CFI just glanced at the manual and asked a few questions.

Pilot
Bottle to throttle, how long is your medical valid, when do you need a flight receivew, currency for pax, what can you fly with your ticket.

Flight

I would take a customer to a nearby airport, have him do a short field takeoff and landing, maneuvers back to our original airport (steep turns, slow flight, stalls, etc), do a couple touch and goes, soft field and flapless landing.

If they were flying a backcountry plane or had a specialized mission, or just wanted to learn something new I'd add or substitute as such.

That's about that.

Mike,

You know your stuff.

Have a nice conversation, buy lunch, and then fly the way you know how to.

Stop over thinking it.

Back