Flight review finally done!

Cap'n Jack

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Cap'n Jack
Tried to get it done in December, but weather, plane availability, and CFI availability didn't align until today!

I needed the instruction since I couldn't fly from October!

images

Good for you ,now get back out there and fly.

Now go on IACRA and fill out your 8710-1, which is recommended now, but soon will be required for FR and IPC.

Really? I knew about the recommendation, but had not heard that it will be required. Could you please provide some links? Any idea when the requirement begins?

This is the first I've heard of this. We are talking about the Bi Annual Flight Review (yeah, I know they dropped the bi-annual part) aren't we?

This is the first I've heard of this. We are talking about the Bi Annual Flight Review (yeah, I know they dropped the bi-annual part) aren't we?

It's not. People are just anticipating that the FAA will make it mandatory at some future time. Nothing has been published to support it.

It's not. People are just anticipating that the FAA will make it mandatory at some future time. Nothing has been published to support it.

It sounds like you can do it voluntarily. @kgruber 's post above makes it sound like you just do it. I'd think the CFI would be the one to do it.

It sounds like you can do it voluntarily. @kgruber 's post above makes it sound like you just do it. I'd think the CFI would be the one to do it.

Yes it's voluntary. Up to the pilot to do it I beieve but I may be wrong.

The pilot initiates the process, but the CFI has to put his E-signature in there too. Sorry, not required now but probably will.

If someone wanted me to IACRA on a flight review - it’d cost them at least another $50. That thing is always a disaster and always results in calls to their help desk.

Why anyone would ever want to provide the government with an ounce more data than legally needed I have no idea.

Why anyone would ever want to provide the government with an ounce more data than legally needed I have no idea.

This. Never invite the man into your life.

If someone wanted me to IACRA on a flight review - it’d cost them at least another $50. That thing is always a disaster and always results in calls to their help desk.

You must not use IACRA enough if you have that many problems. I've done three in the last three days, no problems whatsoever. If you know how to use the site it is actually pretty easy.

I agree with you on providing the government with more information than is needed. I won't do an 8710 for a flight review or IPC until it is required.

Thanks for the kind words, all.
I didn't know that about IACRA, but I agree on not providing more information than needed to the government.

I just passed my BFR with a score of 98. ok I know you don't get graded and I know it's no longer a BFR but still, it's done.

Last edited:
I just passed my BFR with a score of 98. ok I know you don't get graded and I know it's no longer a BFR but still, it's done.

Yeah, mine's coming up soon. May do a combo with IPC if I can't knock out a few more approaches.

On my last FR, I mixed in a High Performance endorsement in a 182 with a dying alternator, landing after dark with light gun signals. The light guns are very visible, but taxiing without lights at an unfamiliar Delta in an unfamiliar plane was a challenge. Took rather a lot of power in the landing, too . . . . I'm usually at idle on short final rather than after the nose touches.

You must not use IACRA enough if you have that many problems. I've done three in the last three days, no problems whatsoever. If you know how to use the site it is actually pretty easy.

I agree with you on providing the government with more information than is needed. I won't do an 8710 for a flight review or IPC until it is required.
lol. we must be working with different types of airmen. The big problem for most folks is that they haven't ever used IACRA in all of their flying (certs before it existed). If they have they sure the hell don't know what their username or password is. If you haven't had to call the IACRA helpdesk you either aren't instructing much or you're incredibly ****ing lucky. Regardless of all that I have to walk someone through the entire process. First explaining what IACRA is and why we need it - next try to figure out if they've ever used the damn thing in their flying history - if so now try to figure out how to login. It'd be a different scenario if you were working in a pilot mill where everyone knew what IACRA was and your students were using it from day one. Little different when you're doing an instrument cert for a guy that got his private 30 years ago.

Might as well be now. Helps with instructor liability and pilot permanent records. Is not that tough, Geesh!

lol. we must be working with different types of airmen. The big problem for most folks is that they haven't ever used IACRA in all of their flying (certs before it existed). If they have they sure the hell don't know what their username or password is. If you haven't had to call the IACRA helpdesk you either aren't instructing much or you're incredibly ****ing lucky. Regardless of all that I have to walk someone through the entire process. First explaining what IACRA is and why we need it - next try to figure out if they've ever used the damn thing in their flying history - if so now try to figure out how to login. It'd be a different scenario if you were working in a pilot mill where everyone knew what IACRA was and your students were using it from day one. Little different when you're doing an instrument cert for a guy that got his private 30 years ago.

There’s the difference. If you expect the guy who got their private a decade or more ago to do anything in IACRA on their own for an additional rating or new certificate you’re setting both them and yourself up for a headache. I just sit down with them and do it, it is far too painful to have to kick the application back to the student several times when they don’t know what they’re doing. I do however expect that by the time a student is working on their commercial certificate or at least has applied for several ratings that they should be able to do it on their own. If they can’t figure it out they should be resourceful enough to find an answer.

I’ve never had to call anyone to figure IACRA out. If you understand the FAA structure of certificates and ratings it is laid out relatively logically. The closest I came to calling was trying to figure out what to call a Vans RV-6 that a guy is using to take a checkride, where it asks for aircraft type.

Where did I say I didn’t help them through the process? That’s precisely what I said. I do all of it for them. Both sides. I just have them click to sign. It takes time. I would bill for that time. Hence why I would strongly discourage someone from wanting to do it when it’s not legally required.

I’ve seen IACRA busted in countless different ways since I’ve been using it over the last 14 years. It’s not exactly new to me. How exactly do you think you’re going to get logged in without calling them when the pilot doesn’t know his credentials and the reset path won’t work. You don’t. You call them.

I’ve also seen cases where the damn thing just throws an exception on a page. How do you fix that? You don’t.

Systems break. I build them for a living. Government systems even more so. To pretend otherwise is funny.

Anyways, I’ve said all I’m going to say.

Might as well be now. Helps with instructor liability and pilot permanent records. Is not that tough, Geesh!

Why do I need a permanent record??? And hours are reported on every medical anyway, although I may convert to Basic Med the next time (the doc I found after moving is a pilot and a jerk).

Back