Flight NY to Florida. 6/1/2020

Discussion in 'Flight Following' started by Jim F, May 22, 2020 at 11:12 AM.

1. Jim F

Jim F Filing Flight Plan

Display Name:

Display name:
    Jim
    I'm tired of boring holes and shooting approaches. Planning to fly my Mooney from upstate NY to southern Florida as soon as next week.

Any information regarding corona virus restrictions entering Florida and recent experiences would be appreciated.

Thanks

2. Half Fast

Half Fast En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    Half Fast
    Two week quarantine for New Yorkers.

3. MassPilot

MassPilot Cleared for Takeoff

Display Name:

Display name:
    FloridaPilot
    Coming from New York you will be legally required to self-quarantine for two weeks. It'll be pretty hard for them to enforce it given your method of transportation but it is the law. Southern Florida is the hardest hit part of the state. I'm in central Florida and it never got that bad here. My entire county (Brevard) has had 371 confirmed cases and only 11 deaths, which is pretty low for all the seniors that live here.

4. Half Fast

Half Fast En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    Half Fast
    I suspect that the Florida quarantine for damn yankees will be permanent. Two weeks or until their money runs out, whichever comes first.

denverpilot, Ravioli and murphey like this.
  5. frfly172

frfly172 Touchdown! Greaser! PoA Supporter

Display Name:

Display name:
    ron keating
    Not sure the FBOS are enforcing quarantine restrictions,the Governor is not happy with people entering the state of Florida from New York.

6. Groundpounder

Groundpounder Cleared for Takeoff

Display Name:

Display name:
    Amanda Hugandkiss
    My brother landed in Key West a few weeks ago on a charter and was met at the airplane by people from Monroe County. But I had a trip to ISM about a week ago and no one met us. So, I donno, your milage may vary.

7. Half Fast

Half Fast En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    Half Fast

It probably varies by county, but I'm pretty sure some of our sheriffs have said they won't pursue any enforcement action against FBO employees who shoot arriving New Yorkers.

LanceS likes this.
  8. Stan Cooper

Stan Cooper Cleared for Takeoff

Display Name:

Display name:
    Stan Cooper
    I thought damnyankee was one word. ;)

denverpilot and iflyvfr like this.
  9. Half Fast

Half Fast En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    Half Fast

It is but autocorrect doesn't seem to know that. :)

True story - when I met my wife's parents for the first time, her mom was asking me about my family and where I was raised and so forth. Now, Barb's mom was the very definition of a true southern belle, born and raised in South Carolina. I was also raised in a very southern family (mom and her family were from North Carolina, dad's a native Floridian), so I told my future mother-in-law that I was 12 years old before I learned that "damn" and "yankee" were two words. She looked me squarely in the eye and very sternly replied, "They aren't!"

That might have been the moment I decided to marry her daughter.....

Stan Cooper and LanceS like this.
  10. wayne

wayne Pattern Altitude

Display Name:

Display name:
    wayne
    My dad has always joked that he didn't know damn Yankee was two words until he was 15. ;)

Wayne

iflyvfr likes this.
  11. 455 Bravo Uniform

455 Bravo Uniform En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    455 Bravo Uniform
    Refuel in Georgia.

Groundpounder likes this.
  12. cowman

cowman En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    Cowman
    I flew to FL a few weeks ago, I was advised by tower to call the FBO on unicom as soon as I left the runway. They only wanted to know if I had any passengers or crew from NY onboard. I didn't and what process you go through if you do I can't say but they were asking.

13. wrbix

wrbix Pattern Altitude

Display Name:

Display name:
    Pilot Lite
    ...recommend KBHC if headed toward Gulf Coast side of FL....cheap AVGAS at nice quiet little airport with nice FBO run by super nice folks.

14. TheFB

TheFB Pre-takeoff checklist

Display Name:

Display name:
    TheFB
    I can’t speak to the NY part of the equation but I flew here, Florida, from Georgia Thursday. It is wall to wall people (I’m west of PCB and near 30A) and very little attention to social distancing, wearing masks or anything compared to Georgia. I‘m not making a safety statement, but I assume it would be surprising after being in NY for the past few months.

Nobody was at the FBO asking me where I flew from. There are a few spots south of Atlanta with $2.90 AvGas (KHMP and KOPN). At that point, you won’t be from NY...

15. Kritchlow

Kritchlow Final Approach

Display Name:

Display name:
    Kritchlow
    I am reasonably certain the quarantine is for direct, non stop flights only.
    I assume you will stop for fuel....

16. donjohnston

donjohnston Line Up and Wait

Display Name:

Display name:
    Don
    We've seen a huge increase in the number of Georgia and Alabama plates in the past couple of weeks. Few masks and no distancing. I guess they figure that's only applies when they're home.

17. Jim F

Jim F Filing Flight Plan

Display Name:

Display name:
    Jim
    Thanks for the info guys. Will probably try it soon with a required fuel stop.

Jim F

18. AU_James

AU_James Pre-takeoff checklist

Display Name:

Display name:
    James
    I started flying locally around the Tampa area over the past few weeks once our shelter in place order was lifted. I've only gotten services from one FBO and the line crew never asked where we came from. Paid for fuel over the phone rather than walking into the FBO. I will say make sure you have a mask if you do need to enter any facility, though.

In general, I think a lot of people in Florida took this past holiday weekend to get out of the house and onto the beaches and most likely took more liberties than they have been with social distancing/wearing masks. Not to say that we were ever great or really diligent at doing it in the first place, unfortunately.

I'm seeing more smaller jets on the ramp than during past weekends as well. Whether that was because of the holiday weekend or if that type of traffic is just increasing again, I'm not sure.

Just do your fuel stop and if asked say you came from wherever you just stopped.

Jim F likes this.