Flight Following

Approach can also be servicing Class E and some G airports. And if it's not listed for your Class G, chances are the frequency listed for a nearby airport that does is the correct one for you too.

It's about location and proximity, not classes of airspace. You can go from New Hampshire to DC without ever speaking to a Center controller for flight flowing.

In the absence of things like approach plates (which I would not expect a VFR pilot to worry about), AFD information is the best source. Keepin in mind that AFD information is not found only in the AFD. Just about every EFB around includes the frequencies applicable to an airport, including the TRACON or Center ones.

Sure, I was referring to actual location of the approach facility and not the airports they serve though. Some don't realize that approach just isn't located at a C or B airspace.

Sure, I was referring to actual location of the approach facility and not the airports they serve though. Some don't realize that approach just isn't located at a C or B airspace.
It doesn't work for physical location either.

NorCal is physically located next to Mather (Sacramento), well outside any B or C airspace, but controls low altitudes from Salinas to San Francisco to Reno and almost (not quite) to Fresno.

SoCal is in San Diego, and while there are two B airspaces down there, it's over 100 miles from LAX.

Physical location is irrelevant to a pilot, except perhaps for the transmitters, which can be very far from the facility.

This is true for many ATC facilities. For instance, Oakland Radio (FSS) is in Arizona. Oakland Center is in Fremont. LA center is in Palmdale.

NorCal is physically located next to Mather (Sacramento), well outside any B or C airspace, but controls low altitudes from Salinas to San Francisco to Reno and almost (not quite) to Fresno.

SoCal is in San Diego, and while there are two B airspaces down there, it's over 100 miles from LAX.

Physical location is irrelevant to a pilot, except perhaps for the transmitters, which can be very far from the facility.

This is true for many ATC facilities. For instance, Oakland Radio (FSS) is in Arizona. Oakland Center is in Fremont. LA center is in Palmdale.

Yes, not all approaches are located at the hub of the airspace as well. Just clarifying that all approaches aren't a C or B approach facility.

Good examples. Aticking with TRACON, two others from Colorado are Pueblo (94 NM from KDEN) but served by Denver Approach (even with Colorado Springs Approach covering a large swatch between them) and Grand Junction (184 NM from KDEN)

It's about location and proximity, not classes of airspace. You can go from southern New Hampshire to DC without ever speaking to a Center controller for flight flowing.
FTFY. North of Laconia you'll be talking to ZBW. Not sure about the extreme northern part of the state.

As an example, the three towered airports (other than KDEN itself) in the Denver area do not, as a rule, arrange flight following. Ask for it, and they will be happy to give you the TRACON frequency, but you'll have to call and ask your self.

I've never had any trouble getting it from KAPA, but I'll tell you a trick... Call on Clearance Delivery.

It does two things:
1. Keeps Ground frequency open so they can multitask and clear dawdlers trying to enter and exit Alpha as always (since the two frequencies are usually a combined controller, sometimes they're transmitting simulcast on both, sometimes not, and I usually even listen to both before making the request on CD), and...

2. Gives them a hint you know what you're doing, since most of the time the only folks they talk to on CD are Instrument rated.

Marginally it may also work better since they're used to getting calls on CD that require land line coordination with DEN TRACON. Dunno. I just know it works.

So CD 128.6 is your "friend" at APA for pre-coordinating just about anything, even oddball requests that don't fit the flow of Ground well. And like I said, a dual watch on both the Ground and CD frequencies for a pause in the action helps. I just say that I have a request and that I'm VFR but would like FF, and they usually handle it with zero problems on CD.

Often they'll give you your taxi clearance and a "change to my frequency" from CD to Ground also, in that progression, after asking if you're ready to taxi.

Haven't really tried it at KBJC or KFTG, but haven't struck out often doing it at KAPA.

Back