Flight Director Autopilot R182

Patrojv

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Patrojv
Hi, a friend bought this great 81 C182 R, and his having problems with his autopilot setup. He was wondering for alternatives to his attitude indicator, i believe the autopilot is a Cessna 300A Navomatic, which is connected to a King GPS i cannot really identified by the pictures que send me. And also to the AI in the middle of the panel.

This are the lousy pictures i have, as we are in lockdown no chance to get new pictures this days.

Any comment on what a good cost efficient upgrade to this panel? maybe a G5?

Thanks!

Attachments

• a58fadbe-cc60-49ba-93ea-b32530c38675.JPG
    a58fadbe-cc60-49ba-93ea-b32530c38675.JPG
    160.2 KB · Views: 45
  • 61fdcf10-90cc-4b8b-84b2-b66f09e1fc0d.JPG
    61fdcf10-90cc-4b8b-84b2-b66f09e1fc0d.JPG
    138 KB · Views: 41
  • 6d5f7219-4e69-4ac8-81ec-bed04807ca22.JPG
    6d5f7219-4e69-4ac8-81ec-bed04807ca22.JPG
    161.5 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:
It's not clear what you're asking for. A "flight director" is a specific type of attitude indicator with command bars on it, and I don't see one in the pictures.

Do you mean attitude indicator?

You also mention an HSI, but I don't see one in that panel either. I see separate DG and CDIs.

I'm not trying to nitpick terminology, but in this case, it's important to understand what you are asking.

You are right, the attitude indicator i believe is the one in the middle, and the one that controls de autopilot. will edit. Thanks

What’s the point of upgrading? To make the autopilot functional? If the autopilot doesn’t work a G5 probably won’t solve that.

We just upgraded to the G5s in our 182. Compatible with the old KAP 140 autopilot and works well, but the KAP 140 won’t shoot approaches so they have to be hand flown. I doubt the G5 is compatible with that old autopilot, and no use just upgrading the HSI to the G5. May as well do both G5s and autopilot(GFC500) at the same time, and swap out the KLN GPS for at least a Garmin 430, so everything is compatible. It won’t be cheap though, looking at $30,000 at least.

If that’s too much to swallow, A KAP140 autopilot should work with the current KLN-89(?) GPS and the HSI. We ran ours on a KLN-94 and HSI for years. But again, the KAP140 is no GFC500. Good for enroute flying/climb/decent but it won’t shoot approaches or do holds.

But again, the KAP140 is no GFC500. Good for enroute flying/climb/decent but it won’t shoot approaches or do holds.

The KAP 140 came in three versions, a single-axis version and a two-axis version both with and without altitude preselect. While the single-axis unit couldn't fly coupled approaches, the two-axis units certainly could. And any of them will do holds with a GPSS module like virtually any older autopilot with a heading bug input.

Hi, a friend bought this great 81 C182 R, and his having problems with his autopilot setup. He was wondering for alternatives to his attitude indicator, i believe the autopilot is a Cessna 300A Navomatic, which is connected to a King GPS i cannot really identified by the pictures que send me. And also to the AI in the middle of the panel.

This are the lousy pictures i have, as we are in lockdown no chance to get new pictures this days.

Any comment on what a good cost efficient upgrade to this panel? maybe a G5?

Thanks!
Garmin G5 has not been STC to work with the cessna 300A Autopilot, on the initial installation manual it appears as if it was approved but later installation manual was corrected as a TYPO and is not in the approved list to interconect with garmin G5 (GAD-29B Data Bus Converter for Legacy autopilot)

The Cessna 300A dos not use the attitude indicator for any reference, it use the turn and bank and the DG for reference.
On my setup , I have two garmin G5 , and the Cessna 300A is still connected to the vacuum directional Gyro.
Hope someday Garmin add the 300A to the approved legacy autopilot list, technically is doable but you will require a field approval for it.

Cessna 300A was never the best autopilot, but when it works it does a very good job.
I bought the G5 , hoping to upgrade for the GFC-500 autopilot , but Garmin has not made and STC for cessna 172RG.

Hope Garmin add my plane for next year, meanwhile hope they add the cessna 300A!!!

Regards.

Back