Flight deck tour?

Challenged

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Challenged
We're heading to Disney for the first time next week or so and I was wondering about the protocol about having my 4 year old see the flight deck. He's obviously flown with me numerous times and loves airplanes, but has never been in a jet before. Is there some secret handshake that would let him see the front at least for a minute? I imagine this varies wildly between airlines, captains and how busy things are, so my expectations on accomplishing this are very low. Is there some proper protocol in regards to this request? The airline is Delta, if it matters.

Last edited:
Introduce yourself to the forward FA and ask if she’ll let you talk to the CA for a tour. 99.9% of the time it’s not a big deal unless we’re delayed and trying to play catch up. Actually in my experience, the majority of the people that are interested have been adults. I love explaining things and let them sit in the seat.

Yep - just ask one the forward FAs and almost always it'll be no problem at all. Much of the stuff we need to be doing up there is done by the time we begin boarding, so as Jordan said it'll only be an issue if we're way behind or dealing with something unusual. Even then, just about all of us would happily take a couple minute delay to show your son around the flight deck.

It's weird, my daughter loves flying (both in the big tubes and with me) but is terrified of the cockpit. Never had an issue getting her in the cockpit for a tour. Often the FA or 1st officer will invite her in even without me inquiring first.

Awesome..!!!

My first experience in a cockpit visit was in 1968 in a DC-3, which probably started life as a C-47. The stewardess took me up front. The Captain and co-pilot were thin as rails, wore baggy khaki uniforms and the cockpit looked like they both probably flew the hump back in WWII.

Ha! My uncle flew the Hump. Might have been C-46s, I don't recall. He wasn't thin but a big man, great guy though.

Note, all this has to happen on the ground. None of this "Joey, have you ever been in a Turkish prison?" stuff allowed in the air.

I've only ever asked once, and it was at the end of the flight after most of the pax had de-planed. Captain turned on the panel for me so I could get some nice shots with my dSLR.

Great, thanks so much for the insight guys. Sounds easy enough, so we'll see how it goes.

I've only ever asked once, and it was at the end of the flight after most of the pax had de-planed. Captain turned on the panel for me so I could get some nice shots with my dSLR.
This is unusual. Many times the crew is long gone before the passengers.

Back