Flight by reference To Stratus 2 AHRS

I have a G500 w synvis and a GTN750 and I still like to have my iPad w FF on next to me. I use a Bad Elf for those times the iPad can't find a GPS signal(no stratus). Next item to get is flightstream 210 so all instruments talk and of course an extra synvis.

It's well worth it!!

You gonna drop in the GDL-88 at the same time?

I used to practice this with the HSI page on my old GPSMap 396. You don't even need to have AHRS to get usable guidance. Although you won't get pitch and bank, you will get directional and other GPS -based information with the synthetic vision.

I remember the first time I did partial panel with the 396. My friend and safety pilot didn't realize I had an assist and couldn't figure out why my roll outs on turns were so accurate..

I used to fly a plane with an Aera which let you load in approaches. Made flying down a localizer very easy.

I used to fly a plane with an Aera which let you load in approaches. Made flying down a localizer very easy.
My issue partial panel was always a simple one - turns to specified headings without having to calculate how many degrees I needed to turn and then divide by 3 for standard rate (yeah, I know all the tips but they don't work for me; something about me and numbers).

The HSI page on the Garmin handhelds, including the Aera made it easy, even without loading an approach. That's why I think tablet HSI pages are useful even if they do not use synthetic vision or AHRS.

(BTW, did the Aera just allow loading the final approach course like the 296-496 did or a full approach including an IAF)

(BTW, did the Aera just allow loading the final approach course like the 296-496 did or a full approach including an IAF)

Its been so long, but I think it had the full approaches in there. You could select NDB approaches, ILS approaches etc...

It was yoke mounted on a 152 which had dual VOR (one with GS). With the exception of not having LPV approaches available, that was a very good setup and super easy to fly approaches in. Lots of ILS approaches around here so the lack of LPV not such a big deal.

Last edited:
My issue partial panel was always a simple one - turns to specified headings without having to calculate how many degrees I needed to turn and then divide by 3 for standard rate (yeah, I know all the tips but they don't work for me; something about me and numbers).

The HSI page on the Garmin handhelds, including the Aera made it easy, even without loading an approach. That's why I think tablet HSI pages are useful even if they do not use synthetic vision or AHRS.

Before SVT, HSI was the cats meow, and even with SVT, you still get an HSI display overlayed.

Another huge benefit is the approach plate overlay feature, which drops the approach chart right onto the en route chart. You can then have the Synthetic Vision side-by-side with the approach chart.

I have noticed that when I overlay the approach plate on the en route chart, I still see traffic on the chart. When I am looking at the approach plate only, I don't think I have ever seen the traffic displayed.

1) Thanks for the PIREP, I've been meaning to do this too with my CFII.
2) My Stratus 2 does not self-calibrate on power-up.
3) Calibration is very easy with the new "Zero Calibrate" button. (Thanks, FF team!)
4) Is there something like a "fly through the rectangles" approach navigation in SV in FF? Couldn't find it. Might be more useful than just plan SV in case of all electrical failure in IMC.

Back