Flew With Mari (Everskyward) Today - AKA Best Flight Ever

kimberlyanne546

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Kimberly
So it finally happened: I got to fly with a high hour, jet-rated, professional, FEMALE pilot - !!!

We had planned this meeting a long time ago, when I read a post that she was often in "my neck of the woods".

I crossed my fingers for good weather, since just this week - on Tuesday - I took the day off to fly with another out of town POA-er..... but after driving to the airport we needed to cancel due to that darned marine layer closing down the airport for us VFR pilots.

I decided that we would meet at the airport and go from there. Another pilot had told me if the weather was good that I should go North up the coast to visit an airport called "Little River."

So we met, and had lunch, at the on-airport restaurant today - the "Two Niner Diner" named after runway two niner.

I got out my sectional and measured the distance to "Little River" airport with my plotter - just over 80 nm - and right up the coast. My dream flight since every time I've been in that plane as a private pilot the weather has been foggy and the coast has been invisible . . .

Mari can pitch in here since I'm not sure if it was her dream flight too, but my guess is that taking off from and landing at an untowered airport, without ATC (except for flight folllowing) . . . and not even going about it in a straight line, but rather "sight seeing" and flying the entire California coast . . . . well my guess is that's pretty far from her "norm" and perhaps somewhat forgotten and enjoyable.

I called the weather briefer when we got in the plane and he agreed that today was the perfect day - clouds far off shore and no wind or visibility issues.

The coolest part about this trip was that I just headed towards the ocean at "even plus 500" - 4500. Sure, Mari kept the sectional out but I looked at a clock and that was it - I told her we'd be there in roughly one hour and that came true - almost exactly.

The beaches were gorgeous and we saw a Buddhist temple (Mari is sending me photos). I learned a thing or two from her about using VORs and even an iPhone's basic GPS / Google Maps to compare where we thought we were on the sectional to where we actually were on the sectional.

Nothing bad happened - at all - no turbulence, no traffic announced from ATC flight following - no winds (barely) - no mechanical problems, no delays. I could fly the plane with my pinky or even hands off. It was, to date, the most perfect VFR daytime flight I've ever had.

Mari saw a light house and said "is that a light house over there"? I said "I don't know, do you want to find out?" and she said "OK." I thought to myself "this is what it is all about" as I flew over to investigate the sight more closely. I circled around and checked it out and continued up the coast.

The airport could not have been more obvious. In the middle of a forest, just off the coast, near Mendocino and Fort Bragg, there it was: a perfect, 5000 foot runway, almost empty airport.

We landed (I guess my landing was OK since Mari didn't say otherwise) and we saw a soda machine. Once there, she took my picture and I got a piece of paper from the airport manager (the back of an old aviation receipt) and a pen and wrote "Go Fly America" and took a photo with Mari's camera.

Some men came up to a picnic table and heard me say "can't claim this airport but can log a visit" and he asked immediately - "are you a pilot?" It turns out he was a 2-week-new private pilot and we talked to him for a while. I bragged that Mari was a real pilot since she is too humble to even mention this to others. They got excited and started asking her how many hours she had. I told them about POA and invited them to join the site, explaining if it weren't for POA I would have never met Mari.

Another pilot, from Holland, came by and joined in the conversation. I asked him about American vs. Holland flying / medicals / licenses and before you know it Mari mentioned what time it was. We were supposed to have the plane back by 5pm! Oh no!

I called the flight school back in Petaluma, about an hour away now, and they told me not to worry. Nobody had the plane after us and they gladly extended our reservation another hour.

We got in the plane and headed back. I learned more from Mari (as I knew I would) and then it was time to land. Strange thing, though, the flap motor would not engage. We looked and the circuit breakers were fine, so it was not that . . . I was going to have to land without flaps. Not an emergency, certainly, but something I haven't done in a long time.

She was great and we talked about what to do - adding 10 knots, having a more flat approach angle, etc..... and just as she was telling me "don't forget to flare" we were already on the ground. I looked at her and said "I didn't even feel that" and I *think* she said (I think) "that was a good landing".

A-W-E-S-O-M-E.

It does NOT get better than this day. Thanks Mari for everything and I look forward to the photos. I am honored that a jet pilot would share a tiny single engine piston with a low level pilot like me. I didn't ask for any feedback but unless I was dreaming she said as she drove away "you're a good pilot".

If I could frame that statement, I would. It means a lot to me. More than you know.

The Temple:

72309238_db543d6700_z.jpg

Nice!

Mari's alright. Even though she's a globe-trotting, big-airplane-commanding, top of her craft professional, she's still nice to us little people.

Cool, you found a picture of the Temple. That would be interesting to see on the ground and to find out what it's all about.

I had a great time. You couldn't ask for more perfect weather!

Google Images - Examples of this part of the California Coast (between Bodega Bay and Fort Bragg):

This is Jenner:

jenner.jpg

And this is Bodega Bay:

vfiles29523.jpg

Little River Airport (hey it is so obvious even I did not miss spotting it far away):

littleriver_280.jpg

This trip brought up a question in my mind, however:

I will one day (when money allows) get my instrument rating.

I understand it requires many hours of cross country.

For this reason, I am only logging in my "cross country column" in my log book when I take off and land at an airport at least 50 nm away.

Today was no contest - in a straight line from Petaluma, the Little River airport is easily 80 nm and perhaps a bit more.

But here comes the question: we did not get there in a straight line. Far from it, we went along the coast and had a "scenic" route instead.

Is the 50 nm requirement based on a straight line, no matter how you choose to get there, or if you need to avoid airspace / weather / etc - does a 40 mile airport turned 50+ miles away suddenly count as a "cross country"?

The temple --LLR run is a really pretty route. We have friends that visit Mendocino and I really like the Huge easy to find LLR airpatch.
The North coast is a nice peaceful run.

Is the 50 nm requirement based on a straight line, no matter how you choose to get there, or if you need to avoid airspace / weather / etc - does a 40 mile airport turned 50+ miles away suddenly count as a "cross country"?

The airports need to be at least 50nm apart regardless of the route. If you are flying somewhere that is only 40nm away you could always find an airport a little further away (that's 50+nm from the origin), and do a touch and go there to satisfy the requirement.

The airports need to be at least 50nm apart regardless of the route. If you are flying somewhere that is only 40nm away you could always find an airport a little further away (that's 50+nm from the origin), and do a touch and go there to satisfy the requirement.
Knowing how much Kim likes to fly, I doubt she'll need to stretch her trips like that though. 50 hours sounds like a lot but it's really not -- I had that much XC by the time I took the checkride (private, not instrument), or nearly so anyway.

Just keep flying to places you want to go that aren't in your backyard, and before you know it, you'll have that box checked off.

Knowing how much Kim likes to fly, I doubt she'll need to stretch her trips like that though. 50 hours sounds like a lot but it's really not -- I had that much XC by the time I took the checkride (private, not instrument), or nearly so anyway.

Just keep flying to places you want to go that aren't in your backyard, and before you know it, you'll have that box checked off.

I guess I like flying a little bit.

LOL the pilot at the picnic table at Little River today (or maybe it was his non-pilot male friend) commented "you are really into this, I can tell."

I was just curious. Plus 50 miles or more costs money - however, I am happy to report that this is the VERY FIRST TIME as a private pilot that I was able to step outside of the aircraft (my rental aircraft). All other PIC PPL flights up until today have ended right back where I started - Petaluma.

In fact, out of probably 80+ total flights with me in the left seat, dual or solo or PPL - I have only departed the plane at a non-Petaluma airport perhaps 6 times. This is the most fun part to me - if only to get rid of Cessna butt before going home.

1. Stockton (first dual cross country without deviation but fourth cross country overall in training)

2. My first solo cross country (Ukiah)

3. My second (and final) solo cross country (Chico)

4. Pretending to pick up the DPE (Santa Rosa)

5. Picking up the DPE for real on the checkride after my solo there (Santa Rosa)

6. Today, as a private pilot with Mari (Little River)

Oh and today was the "longest" rental of the 152 I've logged since becoming a pilot - to me, that 2.6 hours is a long time! I probably flew longer on my "long" three point solo cross country day, but still that makes today my second longest flight.

She is indeed. One of the finest of her kind.

Cool, you found a picture of the Temple. That would be interesting to see on the ground and to find out what it's all about.

I had a great time. You couldn't ask for more perfect weather!

Think about finding another pilot and buy a 152 or a warrior in a partnership. Lotsof suggestipns here how/ what to buy but this is a good time to buy. You could probably pick up a 152 for less than $8000 each. That's less than a car.

Since I have less than 200 hours, the FAA makes me placard my rental 152 to warn others:

2011-10-22%252520at%25252015-04-13.jpg

Mari took all the above photos, which are awesome. This one may be the most beautiful, and it is where we flew.

My dream flight, and now you can see why:

The Northern California Coast!

2011-10-22%252520at%25252016-03-28.jpg

Cool story. Might have to go push the bird outa the hangar and fly the coast over to the Beau Rivage and watch football/gamble a little.

Looks like a very nice flight you had!

PS let us know what happened with the flaps. I have a C150 and will be interested to know the outcome.

Thanks for posting that.

-Rob

I found out that the temple is actually called the Odiyan Retreat Center.

http://www.odiyan.org/home.html

It's an amazingly large complex on the top of a ridge in the middle of nowhere.

2011-10-22%252520at%25252015-44-47.jpg

Here's a picture of the town of Mendocino which I look as we were taking off from Little River. The town is about six miles from the airport.

2011-10-22%252520at%25252017-40-42.jpg

Here's where I'm pretending to be artsy. The sun was not really at the right angle for taking pictures of the water when we were flying back.

2011-10-22%252520at%25252017-46-26.jpg

Wonderful to see y'all enjoying flying so much. Becomes addictive, doesn't it?
Then, you meet such colorful folks.

Off to pick up a friend flying a B-24 today in Austin.

Cheers,

Dave

Little River is a great place to fly into! If you aren't adversed to really long walks, the coast is a couple miles down the hill. Great place to chill out. Good workout climbing back up the hill.

Little River is where, not to long after takeoff, I started hearing high pitched grinding noises (turbocharger going bad). Made it back home no problem, but A&P said that the turbo was probably within a couple minutes of seizing after he looked at it. Geez those things are expensive.

So it finally happened: I got to fly with a high hour, jet-rated, professional, FEMALE pilot - !!!

Mari saw a light house and said "is that a light house over there"? I said "I don't know, do you want to find out?" and she said "OK." I thought to myself "this is what it is all about" as I flew over to investigate the sight more closely. I circled around and checked it out and continued up the coast.

Great story(all of it). The above paragraph was particularly interesting to me.
I really enjoy getting pictures of lighthouses. Heron's Neck Lighthouse, below, I captured in July of this year. It's on Vinalhaven Island which is about 20 miles off the coast of Rockland(KRKD), Maine. After having been on VH for a week I, sometime, want to take my Skyhawk over and record Heron's Neck Light from above and at various angles.

If you open my websight and option the "Seguin Island and Lighthouse" gallery you can see some of my lighthouse aerials. (Then, there are my greeting cards.)

Keep posting!

HR

[EDIT] I added a shot of a portion of Vinalhaven Island. If I'd been doing the flying I'd have opened "my" window and kicked a little rudder to lose the strut, but here had to shoot through the plexi.

Attachments

• Heron's Neck Lighthouse.JPG
    Heron's Neck Lighthouse.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 9
  • Seguin Box #2.jpg
    Seguin Box #2.jpg
    556.8 KB · Views: 6
  • Seguin Box #3.jpg
    Seguin Box #3.jpg
    673.3 KB · Views: 7
  • Vinalhaven Approach.jpg
    Vinalhaven Approach.jpg
    634.9 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
Think about finding another pilot and buy a 152 or a warrior in a partnership. Lotsof suggestipns here how/ what to buy but this is a good time to buy. You could probably pick up a 152 for less than $8000 each. That's less than a car.

Great suggestion, but don't overlook a Cherokee 140 in your search. It's a sweet, honest, fun airplane that's pretty cheap to acquire and maintain. Plus, it's a 2+2, so you can fill it up and fly a friend quite a ways, or fill to the tabs and fly four (average to small) butts a couple of hours. A 3-way partnership would keep the costs below 2 in a 150 and you'd have much more capability.

No Doubt about it... Miss Kimberley has the flying fever and it ain't going away any time soon.:idea:;);):D....

And Mari... the pic you named "artsy" is pretty darn kool... Notice how the the waves curve after they pass the inlet of rocks... Darn neat for sure...

Tailwinds.....

and yeah , the jury is still out on the fact girls can actually fly a plane.:no::no::yikes::rofl::rofl:

Jus kiddin...
You go girls.:yesnod::yesnod:

Ben.

This trip brought up a question in my mind, however:

I will one day (when money allows) get my instrument rating.

I understand it requires many hours of cross country.

For this reason, I am only logging in my "cross country column" in my log book when I take off and land at an airport at least 50 nm away.

Today was no contest - in a straight line from Petaluma, the Little River airport is easily 80 nm and perhaps a bit more.

But here comes the question: we did not get there in a straight line. Far from it, we went along the coast and had a "scenic" route instead.

Dude I totally called this a few months ago and you swore it would never happen lol.. told ya it would happen! Especially as you start building towards the requirements as you just fly for fun.

I STILL haven't even landed anywhere but home! All touch and gos... frustrating...

Mari is a class act from the word 'GO'. She was one of the first people I ever chatted with back in the Babes and Airplanes days. Gave her an inadvertant driving tour of the greater OKC area soon after I moved there back in the day. I think she forgave me...didja Sis? She was my Burrito Sis for the longest time when she was flying MJ and I was running the Combat Burrito all over the planet. I've met many people here at POA and I can say for absolute certain that you met one of the finest Kimberley. Glad that opportunity came your way.

I too have had the pleasure of flying with Mari. This was at Gastons a couple years ago. I had a good time, Mari got Mooney time and neither of us took any pictures :rolleyes:.

The above paragraph was particularly interesting to me.
I really enjoy getting pictures of lighthouses.
I also like lighthouses although I didn't get a picture of this one. It's the one at Point Arena, CA.

landmark.jpg

I didn't know this.

The Lighthouse is situated on the closest point of land to the Hawaiian Islands in the Continental United States.

Gave her an inadvertant driving tour of the greater OKC area soon after I moved there back in the day. I think she forgave me...didja Sis?
Sure Bro. :)

I remember driving past a wastewater disposal plant a couple times while looking for Pearl's. My flying buddy (remember the "Count") and I finally found Pearl's the next day...

I too have had the pleasure of flying with Mari. This was at Gastons a couple years ago. I had a good time, Mari got Mooney time and neither of us took any pictures :rolleyes:.
I know, I should have taken some pictures... :(

I do remember that you had enough guts to let me land your Mooney at Gastons, though. :)

Nice!

Mari's alright. Even though she's a globe-trotting, big-airplane-commanding, top of her craft professional, she's still nice to us little people.

More than "alright".

I met Mari (along with a couple of PoA'ers) at Buckhorn's in Denver on a rather nasty, snowy night when I was in Boulder for business.

Mari is a class act from the word 'GO'. She was one of the first people I ever chatted with back in the Babes and Airplanes days. Gave her an inadvertant driving tour of the greater OKC area soon after I moved there back in the day. I think she forgave me...didja Sis? She was my Burrito Sis for the longest time when she was flying MJ and I was running the Combat Burrito all over the planet. I've met many people here at POA and I can say for absolute certain that you met one of the finest Kimberley. Glad that opportunity came your way.

I know - I mean one of the reasons I titled this thread "best flight ever" was because she was there. And now that I've met (and flown with) other pilots I can say with confidence you are correct. One of the finest.

Mari is most definitely the Queen of Colorado POA!

I know - I mean one of the reasons I titled this thread "best flight ever" was because she was there. And now that I've met (and flown with) other pilots I can say with confidence you are correct. One of the finest.
Geez, if you keep saying such nice things then I might not be able to get my head inside the 152 next time! :redface:

Geez, if you keep saying such nice things then I might not be able to get my head inside the 152 next time! :redface:

How soon before Mari's head reaches max pressurization differential and her blow-out plugs let go?

Eww... Now I'm having a "Scanners" flashback.

Back