Flew a C177R Cardinal Yesterday for the First Time

Discussion in 'Flight Following' started by Bonchie, Apr 10, 2019.

1. cgrab

cgrab Pattern Altitude

Display Name:

Display name:
    cgrab
    No powerflow...pretty much stock but I did get a lightweight starter this year. Never had an issue with the CG, I do carry a few tools and oil and the RG battery is a couple of pounds heavier than the original.

2. Dbarbee

Dbarbee Pre-Flight

Display Name:

Display name:
    Daniel Barbee
    That hasn't been my experience, I guess it depends on what you're comparing it too.

I moved up from a 160HP (RAM STC) 172M with 2300 lb gross weight and 38 gallon fuel tanks. (I've also flown 180 HP 172's, 182's, PA28's, & a V35 Bonanza) In the summertime in the 172M (90F-100F) with two onboard, full fuel, and a weeks worth of baggage the best I could do was 118 TAS at 9-9.5 GPH and climb speed would drop below 500 FPM by the time we got to around 4,000'.

In my 180 HP Fixed Gear Cardinal with 60 gallons of fuel and 2500 lb gross weight and the same loading and summertime conditions I regularly see 128-129 TAS at 10.5 GPH and can maintain at least 500 FPM up to about 6,000' and at least 300 FPM up to 8,000'-9,000' where I usually cruise. (With the 172 I didn't bother trying to climb above 6,000' in the summer)

The performance certainly doesn't compare to a 177RG or a 182 but for the combination of performance, looks, cabin space, visibility, and ease of ingress/egress we're sure happy with it.

Pilawt likes this.
  3. C_Parker

C_Parker Pre-Flight

Display Name:

Display name:
    Chris
    I'd really like to fly a 177RG at some point. There's one at an airport near me, if a good example had come along when I was 182 shopping last year I very well might've bought one. Seems like a great little cross country aircraft.

4. IK04

IK04 Line Up and Wait

Display Name:

Display name:
    LNXGUY
    There is a semi-abandoned 177RG sitting on the ramp at a small airport near me. I was told it belongs to a Doctor and he doesn't fly it much any more and it is out of annual...

I'll keep an eye on it...

5. RyanShort1

RyanShort1 En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    RyanShort1
    Down at Llano, or another one?

6. IK04

IK04 Line Up and Wait

Display Name:

Display name:
    LNXGUY
    Gatesville

RyanShort1 likes this.
  7. JohnAJohnson

JohnAJohnson Cleared for Takeoff

Display Name:

Display name:
    JohnAJohnson
    I owned a 177B for ten years and have owned a 177RG for the last six months. Loved the B and only had a problem with forward CG when I took my 320 pound friend for a ride. And then, I'd make sure I didn't have more than 30 gallons in the tanks and then it was within the envelope. Changing to a Sky-tec starter (10 pounds lighter) allowed 38 gallons in the same scenario. The W&B is easily manageable, and the RG looks to be at least as accommodating. I saw 126 (easy to do) - 130 (rare, must have a really aft CG) knots true on 10 gallons of gas in the B, and I see 145-149 knots true on 10.5 gallons of gas in the RG. I don't know if I've ever taken off in the RG and not seen at least a 1000'/min climb, but the B wasn't that good of a climber. Cold days when light, sure, 1000-1100'/min, but otherwise, 600-800' was more like it. Hot and heavy, it was lucky to hit 500'/min. I miss the B for its simplicity, but love the RG for its speed.

8. iflyvfr

iflyvfr Pattern Altitude

Display Name:

Display name:
    Greg
    As I contemplate an upgrade between an oldish 177 and an even older 182, this commentary is great to read! My buddy who has never owned anything but a 152 is in another state with his A&P as I write this about to do a prebuy tomorrow on a 180 FG 177. Fingers crossed it's a keeper and he flies it home Sunday.

My wife has expressed an interest in more elbow room and speed so I'm weighing my options and keeping an eye on TAP & Barnstormers. I was one of those who, as an inexperienced new PP, bounced a 177 twice and went around before getting my speed on book and landing properly. It spooked me at the time but I've always said the Cardinal and I have some unfinished business. All this talk makes me want to own one!

9. DeeG

DeeG Cleared for Takeoff

Display Name:

Display name:
    DeeG
    What a beauty! I've always lusted after a 177, especially an RG. Got my first and only ride in one many years ago when we took our Stinson to FL. Had to detour to Ocala because of nasty storms outside of Orlando. While Pete was finding a place to hangar the Stinson, I found a Cardinal out on the ramp. Owner showed up and asked if I wanted to fly it. You have to ask???? wooo hooo! It was an awesome 40 minutes. lol.

10. Kansas Flyer

Kansas Flyer Pre-takeoff checklist

Display Name:

Display name:
    James
    [​IMG]

iflyvfr likes this.
  11. IK04

IK04 Line Up and Wait

Display Name:

Display name:
    LNXGUY