Flapping cowl flap

benyflyguy

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
benyflyguy
721DB3ED-DCF5-48A6-921A-56F2CBFA5142.jpeg Coming home from a trip. Landed and my wife walk up and asks what is hanging from the plane. Opened them up after landing and I think the mount let go. Glad it was at home base vs when I landed out of town.

I just inspected dads 182, RH flap hinge was worn enough for my taste. I think the hinge assembly was just under $200 and $5 for rivets. The vibration isolator was shot, another $40 well spent

I just inspected dads 182, RH flap hinge was worn enough for my taste. I think the hinge assembly was just under $200 and $5 for rivets. The vibration isolator was shot, another $40 well spent
I’m gonna have them look at the left side while they are there.

Oooh. That looks expensive. You have my sympathies.

Oooh. That looks expensive. You have my sympathies.
At least he didn't lose it - so likely it can be repaired and re-used. Years ago I lost one in flight. I was fortunate to find a new one in a parts seller's inventory.
It wasn't cheap.

What happens is that the hinge pin works its way out from vibration. They should be safety wired - and mine were, but the wire broke on one side. I second
the preflight inspection recommendation

Dave

I will be making it part of a preflight inspection from now on. My question then is “what am I looking for? General look over for obvious loose look? Give it a gentle wiggle? I’ll ask my a/p as well what to look for.
club member who spoke to shop yesterday said that the flap looks in good shape and the rivets holding the mount let go. Probably was getting loose and should have probably been picked up in annual after reading more- if that is indeed the case

You're looking for excessive play in the hinge. Once it is fixed and feel how tight it is supposed to be (not much wiggle, may 3/16" side to side), if you start feel it loosen from there, get an A&P to check it.

So went up to mx hangar. My a/p is convinced that this is related to towbar damage.
I did have plane hangared on my trip. I helped push it in. When I came back to leave two days later the plane was in a different spot in hangar-no big deal right?
Admittedly I don’t get down and look at the cowl flaps well- that changes now.
A/p feels that someone used a large towbar and turned the nosewheel and the bar rode into the cowl flap bending it up and bending that bolt/post He said it takes a lot of force to bend that The c hinge on the cowl flap also is bent and won’t even budge
The hinge that attached the flap to the plane itself was broken rivets didn’t pull out

I emailed the FBO and they assured me that they don’t use powered rugs but would look into it

I’m kinda ****ed as this is going to cost 2k+ when all said and done. I should have picked it up I guess on preflight so there’s the 2K lesson. I have gone to this FBO before and will probably be back as it is where my sister lives and only FBO that takes GA planes there. I hangar the plane for the sole reason to prevent possible damage or theft.

7277AF71-9DAE-43B2-8B24-CE196B81318A.jpegF1029C18-0E82-43C8-8677-D8A809642F36.jpeg

Back