It Came From Together!

OkieFlyer

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Andrew L.
Other than the dirty belly......

XpM_dgoCdDWtt6wzNevoD1mILKWX_tbgDoH0t5IMehmAB7Yx3MatHwBrLvH8LIXfduzFLei6aU5iYu8sFt7ljMl2_H71lVqTq9ojSn5MYnLTKM2q8dvhNwWypwAgqIeyd5AYfpt8CPcM7yr4BiRmen3ZrIJg-qDpbzDU2PcW5HttAImCiVfG6c9fqJoJwA-PqQb3zCCYSz9C7qGaspoedUNcKs-szBj3ZVIn-EfH3tnkdI4EK4p8VsClN1zTCFF5pGhFd5eli3Wd_kzRWN9utdLxzBB19drHA1r5WjvozygMVGgJ6ibTPUo_nIUeyjaC9irznte-xufHdiQVwn_jtf5dOpsfM34evm72uST7FSDFLdLN8gkXu3VFdiUaUvei235SdzDLQ0sNP_mEtytN1q1j8GMFK6vRndfVVL6ssejPDJQMBEdhAL3yEaz_wwvI7zaDlZcEIKdh8IeZ4WYGWktzLH1bq_nHccM99sanZ6fIvsirRMYVPopfxbMNEfFtYIoSyHoH_VLP81-Keax50915pEAHq2ai3Lc6gyc5jr3Vsqr2PPK01_lwS4HApDr-OYBLssKhZG_0xKymxhcE8ZiKeEeh8pNl8znZG4Md-F3uQu6SSeuM=w1152-h864-no

OFfwNY869PPW6qWt1qgt2C_qydhpxhFGKHURzlbG8BZSOuAQST_0yBlYQ5AfdG2hIhmuIfsYV1qzlGv0h-hV3mbI0mntE7N8ftSA4JFQGZR2l9pWYCzm9QOfCz3kj1E5mPtw1vvv18fdUqn8LDSfO3gzxCfu-9v5Qq64F0BAGY62Fy1U6M5LOeKFUQerWNXF5p7zXW-MZiJm9iDhwHB1MtzcchuIS7RV3bSiGdDuccezjZDAhgi0cR1fZ15jo8Bhr0AOplCdCc_uFtu0YiiZXTnzUePi2kTW194AxvLaWD7lilaluXaZzhZe02jKMzQK5gMWQw6Df3SfrRz2LZxkZEjXziWB1jByJWNCmpVSYLOoqkPAVBMoemfJvcMfzIfug9Wl3S5Ma2HkCUdhuDMKgSZQLZWs1tsgskCLHitLw_wMJgZDs_YgjqpIjvFQWr7ua-deSKtHgyJrhR_SSmqyC5IBgSNEds-xDpC7fCsYlFfImV8ToaA1jbkhoKJHdPLc7mNvB92HuP7EO6t-MWxHfG1TxU1aGjoOV-e7zefP2pY-EKribJ-WzFbZua6wMc3Ao9ZULDyPvJD6wY8e1WkRXgipY9OdYtq-BoHMH3W01TsIP0zU=w1152-h864-no

89B2_-gUd7MWCv__xR3OSI4sovXEciSRMr3ruKISIARM4VPMvHbc2TQA5LkE6D1GcDTQRH0xH56CVDiAz566KKZ5ZYJFYEFPfF_sFUtSElmLj23_BGzMGyO7aatnnJmgLCz9YlHdR1mWWqvCY7OlZYBO_mW06miNOb5-ApY0cCaeHnu7q16S5-YKmlEd_pjoJtvnivK2Z5wD7EADX90nQkYF_7UbeDjWSOGkyi-66c0_G2wHlpxeY5y6_etSCdlk5RJ71-3yLueA4PqdIB98TNIzo_UnED2R0GW92g7rPTp6LiyhQ0U4nKAzEmyVEqJISGvCWFsvMTIw-39R6U4A_4p-Kucehm3oktECAZpmn5A7nz6zEv9_EjVoTt56sScccrAOrzVyrJ24VWQoAwlxaLkMIH945z2cwC5BsU5_4SYrTiYSNQXLLqCgorIgmlKKgwTu7MyPofzzghKt-AWitPm6urlJCUcyImUTtlA4UY0-gLw355iBBpt8SmskmoCorNEe4pJYcjPictpwWGWz65aGj6Vppk0mnSrBRStDOMn_b2hsM1vaf02hDeCo8aXhr60KfsYc1oqGEly7YeMjrn0PlzhFjwtqDX5nS8SfXZWItppa=w480-h640-no

I did my BFR this morning and when we got back, I found this void in my cowl. Freakin' cowl flap departed sometime during the flight! Broke right off the piano hinge and sheared the linkage. There were two of us in the plane, and we didn't hear or feel anything. You would think we would notice something like that, but we didn't. Shucks!

IT CAME FROM TOGETHER!!

Last edited:
Now, I have seen what a cowl flap(and missing cowl flap) looks like, thanks!

That's a dirty belly?

Holy cowl. You should be fined for littering.

On a serious note, anybody know where the heck I can get a used cowl flap?

Texas Air Salvage and Ebay are about the only places I know to look.

Also, does anyone know if the cowl flaps are the same for multiple models/years?

Last edited:
Hey..!!! Guess what I found in the windshield of my truck today..?? :lol::lol::lol:

Google and start calling. Do your homework first so ya know part numbers.

Wait until you have to find autopilot parts that haven't been manufactured in 20 years...

Google and start calling. Do your homework first so ya know part numbers.

Wait until you have to find autopilot parts that haven't been manufactured in 20 years...

Uh....I have a Tactair T3 vacuum operated autopilot, sir. I've already quit looking.

I think the cowl flap part # is 0752609-201

Still need to find the p/n for the linkage/clevis and piano hinge.

Obviously you did not need the cowl flap or it would still be there. No need to replace it. :)

Obviously you did not need the cowl flap or it would still be there. No need to replace it. :)

You have a point. I can't even see it when I'm in the cabin, and it still flies. The engine runs cooler too.

Don't forget Beegles, @OkieFlyer.

Man, I'm glad we spent the big bucks to fix our hinge on one of ours a few years ago. LOL.

I guess this is what happens if you don't! :)

There are airplane junkyards selling used parts at Slatington airport in PA and Jenkins in DE.

Also, does anyone know if the cowl flaps are the same for multiple models/years?

There are a lot of salvage places around. Check Dodson and White Industries. eBay has been a good source for me for parts.

I bet Textron is almost giving them away they are so cheap.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

In that place don't they always take the wheels and tires too?

That would be Detroit, and they'd have the wheels off before you touched down. There is a stretch of railroad in southwest Detroit where the crews know if the train stops it's time to call the cops cause the looters know which car to raid. They refer to is as "The Ho Chi Min Trail".

Unfortunately even from a salvage yard this is going to cost you a rather substantial stack of dead presidents. You learned the hard way that watching the security of cowl flaps on a 182 during preflight inspection is right up there with making sure the spinner isn't going to fly off. We do some maintenance on our cowl flaps at nearly every annual, replacing a rivet or two, replacing the hinge wire, etc. The one behind the exhaust stack does take a particularly harsh beating. There is a slightly longer exhaust stack available from Knisley (which we have) that reduces the stress a bit.

Unfortunately even from a salvage yard this is going to cost you a rather substantial stack of dead presidents. You learned the hard way that watching the security of cowl flaps on a 182 during preflight inspection is right up there with making sure the spinner isn't going to fly off. We do some maintenance on our cowl flaps at nearly every annual, replacing a rivet or two, replacing the hinge wire, etc. The one behind the exhaust stack does take a particularly harsh beating. There is a slightly longer exhaust stack available from Knisley (which we have) that reduces the stress a bit.

So far, it appears you are right. I just got a quote from Texas Air Salvage for a used cowl that looks to be in fairly rough condition. $1495 !!!! :eek:

How can a couple of riveted together pieces of sheet aluminum cost as much as a cylinder??? Damn sure with I had looked more closely at my cowl flap hinges now.

Dumb question - can you make your own replacement? Can't be that hard and probably only use about $15 worth of aluminum from Tractor Supply.

You'd think a proper Okie would used more bailing wire to secure that cowl flap...

Good point, Jay Cray.

Dumb question - can you make your own replacement? Can't be that hard and probably only use about $15 worth of aluminum from Tractor Supply.

That may be the way to go. It looks pretty simple. If my mechanic would let me use his break, I think I could fashion the piece myself. Need a template though.

edit: Actually, it looks like it has some curves that I'm not sure I can replicate. I'm not much of a metal craftsman.

Last edited:
That may be the way to go. It looks pretty simple. If my mechanic would let me use his break, I think I could fashion the piece myself. Need a template though.

edit: Actually, it looks like it has some curves that I'm not sure I can replicate. I'm not much of a metal craftsman.

I think you could do as well as the Cessna folks. Or even paying your mechanic to fabricate it probably wouldn't be bad cost wise.

The upper piece is a pretty complicated piece of aluminum. Given the number of STC and aftermarket PMA parts for 182s, this is one that I think someone would have started to produce already if it was economical to do so. The good news is if you loose the left one, it costs less than the right one (supply/demand pricing in action).

I think you could do as well as the Cessna folks. Or even paying your mechanic to fabricate it probably wouldn't be bad cost wise.

I may give it a shot. It's going to be hard to make that inner/upper piece of the door, but it'll be worth it to give it a try. Even if I fail, I won't be out much change.

P3310047-20170331-115229.JPG

Back