Fixed my issue with the climb rate on the Bonanza

With this PC-12 and new engine, the horsepower doesn't change. It's still 1,200 for 5 mins and then 1,000 continuous. The temperature limits are increased. The cruise speed takes a hit with the 5-bladed prop, but that's it.

PT6A-67B (old) & PT6A-67P (new).

There is little change in FF. We still burn about 500-550lbs in a 1-hour leg. FF in cruise is still 350-450lbs/hour.

Wait, you were talking about the Bonanza...

I never would have believed a Caravan could do that.

With a TPE-331 it will, it will also somewhat easily get past VNE straight and level.

With this PC-12 and new engine, the horsepower doesn't change. It's still 1,200 for 5 mins and then 1,000 continuous. The temperature limits are increased. The cruise speed takes a hit with the 5-bladed prop, but that's it.

There is little change in FF. We still burn about 500-550lbs in a 1-hour leg. FF in cruise is still 350-450lbs/hour.

Correct, 260/285hp recip to 550hp turbine conversion. The doubling of the horsepower will give you a square root increase in speed, however you can't really take advantage of it because that exceeds the new Red Line speed. That's why cruise power is 30%, and that's not a very efficient way to operate a turbine. The Allison/RR 425hp conversion for the Bonanza is more efficient than the PT-6 from what I have heard.

Last edited:
I'd still say that the T-34C, similar airframe also with a PT6, was maybe the most raw fun I have ever had flying any airplane......maybe save a slicked off F-16A, but damn close. I'd guess this would make an utterly fantastic all around private aircraft. Congrats! :D

Man, I'd love to fly that Caravan on floats. Though if I could afford one, I'd rather have it on amphibs than on straights.

There is a guy at our local airport that has one of these turbine Bonanza's. I have never seen it fly... Every year I see the hangar open and the mechanics doing a annual.

Oh, that 5-bladed prop is sexy.

Took out a PC-12 with a 5-bladed prop and more powerful engine (-67P) today. Takeoff and climb performance was unreal. Felt like a jet. I was doing 2,000'/minute up through 15,000.

I flew in a Lear 35 with a friend on a short maintenance trip. Our initial clearance was to 10,000 and I believe he said something about it pegging out at 6000fpm.

I flew in a Lear 35 with a friend on a short maintenance trip. Our initial clearance was to 10,000 and I believe he said something about it pegging out at 6000fpm.
You wouldn't be able to wipe the smile off of my face if I was in your shoes.

You wouldn't be able to wipe the smile off of my face if I was in your shoes.

Had the same experience on a maintenance flight in WW2. Max-performance takeoff, I almost fell backwards sitting on the couch behind the cockpit. That thing rocketed to/through the sky like ... well .... a rocket. :) And yes, the pegged VSI (at 6k) makes me grin every time I remember it. Sorry, no picture. Maybe next time.

Similar fuel burns in my Conquest, of course you are going faster in a bigger cabin! :mad2::D

Back