Fixed my issue with the climb rate on the Bonanza

Cpt_Kirk

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Ted Striker
Pratt & Whitney PT6A-21 with 550SHP. It pegs the VSI so I think we're all good to go now.

This is the second one I've seen in a few years.

Attachments

• 20150911_163859[1].jpg
    20150911_163859[1].jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 347
Nice engines.

Nice airframes.

Together? Meh

Another case where I would like to borrow the aircraft sort a few days. Once the thrill wears off...

Pratt & Whitney PT6A-21 with 550SHP. It pegs the VSI so I think we're all good to go now.

How long till it needs a refill.. 45 -50 minutes..:dunno:........:D

How long till it needs a refill.. 45 -50 minutes..:dunno:........:D

About 90 from what I recall. A guy at Long Beach had one to commute between there and Vegas. He said it was a very limited mission plane, but his mission fell right into the parameters.

Nice engines.

Nice airframes.

Together? Meh

Agreed.

I never quite understood the point of these airplanes. It would have made more sense if it would have been pressurized.

Agreed.

I never quite understood the point of these airplanes. It would have made more sense if it would have been pressurized.

They do one thing very well, pop you up over a mountain range, and then slam dunk straight down.

That would be fun to have for a few rides. Not sure id want it for my only plane, but if I had tons of money to burn it'd be fun.

There was one sitting on the ramp at the avionics shop in Taylor, TX - T74 a month ago or so. Don't know why you'd want one around here. There are no mountains within a couple of tanks of this place.

I think if you're having to do all those mods and drop big money for a turbine retrofit, it makes sense to begin thinking about a turn-key Piper Meridian.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think if you're having to do all those mods and drop big money for a turbine retrofit, it makes sense to begin thinking about a turn-key Piper Meridian.

Where's the fun in that? I'm sure this is a fun toy for someone and not a primary means of travel.

I think the p-baron conversion is more useful...
http://i6.tinypic.com/1zgq0di.jpg

Oh, that 5-bladed prop is sexy.

Took out a PC-12 with a 5-bladed prop and more powerful engine (-67P) today. Takeoff and climb performance was unreal. Felt like a jet. I was doing 2,000'/minute up through 15,000.

If you want a turbine conversion in a fast un pressurised aircraft, I'd go this route.

Ad_image.jpg

Turbine thunder mustang

That'll do it! Nice!

I was parked down from one at Osh Kosh. I watched it fire up to leave. Boy, just to hear the turbine spool up and watch the prop start spinning, I nearly had a woody. Watched it take off, and to hear a Bo that sounds like a PC-12, that was very cool. When the guy standing next to me told me that it's only good for about an hour, I went limp. But, it was really cool watching that plane start up and take off.

Edit: He also mentioned the other big problem with this is that you have to cruise at a low power setting so as to keep the airspeed below Vne!! :yesnod:

Yep I would like to see that 2000ft fpm climb out ;). Not I don't believe you.
Standby for a picture.

I was parked down from one at Osh Kosh. I watched it fire up to leave. Boy, just to hear the turbine spool up and watch the prop start spinning, I nearly had a woody. Watched it take off, and to hear a Bo that sounds like a PC-12, that was very cool. When the guy standing next to me told me that it's only good for about an hour, I went limp. But, it was really cool watching that plane start up and take off.

Edit: He also mentioned the other big problem with this is that you have to cruise at a low power setting so as to keep the airspeed below Vne!! :yesnod:
I was told ~30% down low to keep it under Vne. Lol. I want to convince them to let me take it out.

Standby for a picture.

I was told ~30% down low to keep it under Vne. Lol. I want to convince them to let me take it out.

Yeah, and I don't know about the Bo conversion, but most the turbine conversions I've seen move the red line down to to the yellow line.

Since we already have a PC12 2k climb, here's another aircraft in a 2k climb.

image.jpg

The real issue with these horsepower upgrades is that all you really get out of them is an increase in rate of climb. Yeah, you get a bit of extra speed, but not significant for the extra fuel burn. Planes are designed to match the horsepower to the airfoil. If you want to efficiently increase horsepower, you also have to change the airfoil to match.

The real issue with these horsepower upgrades is that all you really get out of them is an increase in rate of climb. Yeah, you get a bit of extra speed, but not significant for the extra fuel burn. Planes are designed to match the horsepower to the airfoil. If you want to efficiently increase horsepower, you also have to change the airfoil to match.

Agreed 100%...

With this PC-12 and new engine, the horsepower doesn't change. It's still 1,200 for 5 mins and then 1,000 continuous. The temperature limits are increased. The cruise speed takes a hit with the 5-bladed prop, but that's it.

PT6A-67B (old) & PT6A-67P (new).

There is little change in FF. We still burn about 500-550lbs in a 1-hour leg. FF in cruise is still 350-450lbs/hour.

Wait, you were talking about the Bonanza...

Since we already have a PC12 2k climb, here's another aircraft in a 2k climb.

image.jpg

I never would have believed a Caravan could do that.

Last edited:
Back