Fishing near airports

Bean Outdoors

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Bean Outdoors
Me and my sons were thinking of flying somwhere and fishing. Somewhere we could walk to the beach to fish from the airport. We are located in NC. Was thinking of Ocracoke? Has anyone done this or know of a place

Thanks
E

If closer to Mountain Home, AR, there's Gaston's Fishing Resort. Very nice place, clean cabins, and a well groomed grass runway.

@simtech .... what's available on the Gulf Coast?

Over the years, I’ve wanted to do the same thing. The airport at Ocracoke is on the beach and you can easily walk out on to it. But I’m not a surf fisherman so I don’t know if there is good fishing there, but people do seem to fish there.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

I don't fish, but there is a fishing pier one mile from 60J, Ocean Isle Beach NC, and I've landed there a couple of times, nice quiet little airport with fuel. Pier is one mile from the airport though and I don't know how walk-able the bridge is, check it out on google street view. I walked to a coffee shop from there about a quarter mile.

Seems like a nice pier and some other stuff to do if the fish aren't biting, the web link below says you can rent fishing gear too, so that may help save space in the plane:

https://oceanislebeach.com/on-the-bridge/

https://oceanislebeach.com/ocean-isle-beach-pier/

Just a few I know Mc Gee ranger station about the most remote, there are several along the Ponderay River in Idaho
Then there is Stehekin in WA head waters of Lake Chelan, Have a guide take you in first.

Over the years, I’ve wanted to do the same thing. The airport at Ocracoke is on the beach and you can easily walk out on to it. But I’m not a surf fisherman so I don’t know if there is good fishing there, but people do seem to fish there.
With that said, I use my plane to fly and fish all the time. Like any flying mission, the last mile(s) is the challenge.

I used to fly to the NC mountains to fish and play. Asheville was fine for the play part but when fishing, 3NR3 turned out to be the best destination. It required an Enterprise car to make it all work, and that in itself required some work, but the private airport had fuel and location in the heart of NC trout land.

As I started to chase saltwater fly fishing, KSSI turned out to be good place for Redfish. It required a guide but took a buddy down there to chase them a couple of times.

Florida is a favorite destination for family and friends but there’s lots of fishing as well. Never managed to get Key West fishing to work due to weather; fortunately there’s so much else to do there. But Marathon is in the middle of triple digit Tarpon land along with right sized Tarpon, Bones and Permit. Miami’s Biscayne Bay is full of big ‘ol Tarpon as well, especially at night when the tide is just right.

My favorite is the Bonefishing in the Bahamas. Non-flying mortals generally fly to Nassau then can catch a flight to the out islands. Private pilots can fly direct to a dozen or more well maintained airports on any of the out islands. The fishing is great and the scenery even better. I would submit that there is no better place in the world to island hop anywhere in a personal light plane. I’m returning next week to take a trout fishing friend out for for their first Bone. Should be fun.

Montauk is a great place to fly into as well, especially off party season when the Albie’s, Stripers, and Blues are running. But it requires a friend or spending money on a boat and a guide for best results.

Closer to home, the key is to find a friend with a place on one of our great regional lakes. Lake Norman has 2 residential airparks with water access. Kerr has one or two airports adjacent to the lake. Smith Mountain Lake has has an Airpark on the lake with a fly in bed and breakfast. I live on Falls of the Neuse Lake where I don’t have direct lake access but have a launch ramp nearby which I fished from today (but was skunked).

Here’s a Falls Lake Fatty for example:
c8205934a2970459e0149a30f0233cba.jpg

If closer to Mountain Home, AR, there's Gaston's Fishing Resort. Very nice place, clean cabins, and a well groomed grass runway.

@simtech .... what's available on the Gulf Coast?
4R9 in Alabama and KCDK in Florida are about as close to the ocean as you can get

I used to fly my T-Craft to the Fishers Island (NY) airport to spearfish for tautog (blackfish) off the airport property. Stripers too, but at the time the legal size for stripers was too big to fit in my baggage compartment.

Closer to home, the key is to find a friend with a place on one of our great regional lakes. Lake Norman has 2 residential airparks with water access. Kerr has one or two airports adjacent to the lake. Smith Mountain Lake has has an Airpark on the lake with a fly in bed and breakfast. I live on Falls of the Neuse Lake where I don’t have direct lake access but have a launch ramp nearby which I fished from today (but was skunked).

I live on Kerr Lake. Merifield's airstrip is private. If any POAers want to fly into Lake Country, I can pick you up and you can fish from our dock. I've caught catfish as long as my leg from it.

You'll want to plan on a time when the lake is near normal pool or lower. It's way up now and it's a pain getting to our dock, which gets pushed into the forest when it's flood level.

I live on Kerr Lake. Merifield's airstrip is private. If any POAers want to fly into Lake Country, I can pick you up and you can fish from our dock. I've caught catfish as long as my leg from it.

You'll want to plan on a time when the lake is near normal pool or lower. It's way up now and it's a pain getting to our dock, which gets pushed into the forest when it's flood level.

Kerr Lake is a great one! I took my Jon boat up there twice last week. When I saw the lake going thru 303’, I went up to chase bass in the bushes which is usually not a viable plan in June. The bass were both shallow, deep, and happy! Went up again Thursday and the water was still going up (!), things had mudded up a bit and the bass were more scattered but catchable. I’m sure your dock went out of service by them. Crazy year

Years ago I flew into some strip on the VA shore in my Maule. Knowing what I know now it must have been Gaston because the strip was flat and only 6-8’ above lake level. The approach was right over the water. Grass was 18” tall but smooth. I think that ‘port was on it’s way to be decommissioned or something.

Kerr Lake is a great one! I took my Jon boat up there twice last week. When I saw the lake going thru 303’, I went up to chase bass in the bushes which is usually not a viable plan in June. The bass were both shallow, deep, and happy! Went up again Thursday and the water was still going up (!), things had mudded up a bit and the bass were more scattered but catchable. I’m sure your dock went out of service by them. Crazy year

Years ago I flew into some strip on the VA shore in my Maule. Knowing what I know now it must have been Gaston because the strip was flat and only 6-8’ above lake level. The approach was right over the water. Grass was 18” tall but smooth. I think that ‘port was on it’s way to be decommissioned or something.

You folks that can get bass to bite, you have my respect. I don't have the knowledge or patience. I like to put a piece of ham on a hook, reel in huge catfish, no skill required.

Yep 4R9 dauphine island AL...runway jets out into the water. Call the airport manager to make sure but you could easily land and walk 50 ft to the water and fish. Jt's sunset grill is a short walk or call them and they will come pick you up.

There’s some great strips in the Netherlands with great fishing spots right next to em!

Ocracoke (W95) or Billy Mitchell (HSE) would work. There's a bait and tackle shop just down the street from HSE in Frisco.
Probably the OP's two best bets. It did sound like he wants to surf fish.

Take a look at Ocean City, New Jersey (26N). It's about 1/2 mile to the beach. Probably best when tourist season is over.

5NC2 has a good size lake beside the runway and even some canoes you can use to fish.

Me and my sons were thinking of flying somwhere and fishing. Somewhere we could walk to the beach to fish from the airport. We are located in NC. Was thinking of Ocracoke? Has anyone done this or know of a place

Thanks
E
If you're ever in Texas you can land at 72TA on Matagorda peninsula, an abandoned WW2 airfield but still in decent shape. You can fish the Gulf side or the bay side. Wade fishing for Reds and Specs is usually good.

Back