First time to Oshkosh - meeting likeminded people

Driving into Oshkosh is really a non-event. If you're camping in Scholler, it's easy in and out. Even in the regular lots (if you're staying elsewhere), it's no big thing except immediately after the airshow ends.

If you want to go off the reservation, there's a neat little campground parking lot where Waupan meets Knapp street (back gate to Vintage and Ultralights) called Relemdadts or something like that. They have both camping and parking along with a Vicky's lunch wagon and a breakfast trailer that has a neet little donut machine.

I'll be the guy in the flight suit in front of the F-15C sweating my butt off. Feel free to stop by for a chat. If anyone's interested we can set up a specific time for POA to do a Q&A/tour of the F-15. Let me know if there's any interest, otherwise just stop and say hi. They have me scheduled to arrive on Monday and stay for the full week right now.

In "Aeroshell Square" or whoever they pimped the naming rights to this year? Or if not, where is it going to be?

Jim

In "Aeroshell Square" or whoever they pimped the naming rights to this year? Or if not, where is it going to be?

You can always call it the "West Ramp" and be isolated from the marketing drivel. It hasn't been Aeroshell Square for a few years. According to the show map for this year, it is "Boeing Plaza."

I'll ask. They are doing a 25th anniversary of Desert Storm and wanted an Eagle for the display. I have no idea where that'll be but I'll ask the guy I've been working with.

Hi.

Wow.. stick me down for a q/a tour, and I'll be sure to stop by and say hello.

I only arrive on Tuesday evening, and have tickets for Wednesday thru Friday, I'm in the B17 on Thursday, and fly back on Saturday. :-(. But my itinerary so far is so chock solid, I haven't left time to even eat.. LOL...

Hi.. I'll be around until late on Thursday. I've got the bi plane and remote control planes to see in the evening, so anytime would be good for me..

Cheers..

So, I'm again considering making my first trip to Oshkosh. My schedule is only going to allow me to get my feet wet this year by flying up early on Saturday the 30th and leave Sunday. There are two air shows on Saturday which would alone make the trip worth it.

Is anyone still going to be around then? I'm assuming by then enough people will have come and gone that getting a spot in the North 40 won't be a problem.

Any other tips for those two days?

So, I'm again considering making my first trip to Oshkosh. My schedule is only going to allow me to get my feet wet this year by flying up early on Saturday the 30th and leave Sunday. There are two air shows on Saturday which would alone make the trip worth it.

Is anyone still going to be around then? I'm assuming by then enough people will have come and gone that getting a spot in the North 40 won't be a problem.

Any other tips for those two days?

You could roll a bowling ball down the length of the North 40 and not hit anybody on Saturday. Sunday is deader yet. Most of the vendors will either be so damned tired they won't want to talk to you OR have packed up 90% of their stuff and shipped it home.

You won't "see" Oshkosh on Saturday and Sunday.

Jim

You could roll a bowling ball down the length of the North 40 and not hit anybody on Saturday. Sunday is deader yet. Most of the vendors will either be so damned tired they won't want to talk to you OR have packed up 90% of their stuff and shipped it home.

You won't "see" Oshkosh on Saturday and Sunday.

Jim
There are actually two "waves" at Oshkosh.

The first wave arrives the day before the show starts. This group often leaves by Wednesday...

...when the Second Wave arrives. This group often stays through the weekend.

Over the years, the first wave has remained steady, while the second wave has slowly, inexorably diminished at about the same rate that GA itself has declined.

Then, there are the hard core idiots who arrive early and stay to the bitter end. That's Mary and me.

The final weekend airshows are excellent, and you can occasionally score some great deals from vendors as the pilot crowd diminishes. The crowd itself often INCREASES on the final weekend, but it's what we call "the NASCAR crowd", not pilots. They are the usual bunch that you will find at state fairs, auto races, and the beach. Nothing wrong with them, but they are not aviation nuts like us.

Although I think many a future pilot is born from that crowd. I know I was.

I'll be the guy in the flight suit in front of the F-15C sweating my butt off. Feel free to stop by for a chat. If anyone's interested we can set up a specific time for POA to do a Q&A/tour of the F-15. Let me know if there's any interest, otherwise just stop and say hi. They have me scheduled to arrive on Monday and stay for the full week right now.
I know I'm late to respond, but pick a time and place and I'll be there. I should be at the show Sun-Sat or so.

There are actually two "waves" at Oshkosh.

The first wave arrives the day before the show starts. This group often leaves by Wednesday...

...when the Second Wave arrives. This group often stays through the weekend.

Over the years, the first wave has remained steady, while the second wave has slowly, inexorably diminished at about the same rate that GA itself has declined.

Then, there are the hard core idiots who arrive early and stay to the bitter end. That's Mary and me.

The final weekend airshows are excellent, and you can occasionally score some great deals from vendors as the pilot crowd diminishes. The crowd itself often INCREASES on the final weekend, but it's what we call "the NASCAR crowd", not pilots. They are the usual bunch that you will find at state fairs, auto races, and the beach. Nothing wrong with them, but they are not aviation nuts like us.

Although I think many a future pilot is born from that crowd. I know I was.

My schedule only allows me ONE day this year. I debated coming in Friday and staying for the Saturday show, but most of the "Good Stuff" I wonder the flight line to see will be gone by then, so it looks like Monday is it (Coming in Sunday), and leaving after the show.

I'm looking to see the Paradise P1 up close, so if anyone sees one, let me know!~

My schedule only allows me ONE day this year. I debated coming in Friday and staying for the Saturday show, but most of the "Good Stuff" I wonder the flight line to see will be gone by then, so it looks like Monday is it (Coming in Sunday), and leaving after the show.

I'm looking to see the Paradise P1 up close, so if anyone sees one, let me know!~
ONE day?

That's like eating just one potato chip. It cannot be done.

That's cool. I'll be there looking for you. Would love to get a tour!

I know I'm late to respond, but pick a time and place and I'll be there. I should be at the show Sun-Sat or so.
Doesn't have to be just one time for a tour. I'm on the red boards and BT - same offer for those folks. I think I will likely avoid the hottest part of the day standing out by the jet but I'll plan on being there most mornings and afternoons.

Or you can always PM me and I'll give you my # and you can call me when you get there.

Doesn't have to be just one time for a tour. I'm on the red boards and BT - same offer for those folks. I think I will likely avoid the hottest part of the day standing out by the jet but I'll plan on being there most mornings and afternoons.

Or you can always PM me and I'll give you my # and you can call me when you get there.
Fantastic! I'll be sure to come on by. You'll be the only Eagle pilot there, I assume?

Fantastic! I'll be sure to come on by. You'll be the only Eagle pilot there, I assume?
I'm the only one bringing a 15C there. Might be a Strike Eagle - not sure. They are trying to get everything from Desert Storm (25th anniversary). I'll definitely be the only guy in front of the "JZ" jet.

I'll will arrive late morning on Wednesday and depart Saturday morning sometime. I'd be glad to hook up and visit with anyone. I'll dang sure stop by the F15 for a chat, and will likely check out the Honeck's partayyyy. In the 5 years I've been a member of POA, I've managed to meet zero of our fellow members. I don't even know how that happens, but it will change this July. Can't wait!

Andrew, hi. Sounds very similar to my timings as I arrive Tuesday night, and leave Saturday.

Be happy to meet up over lunch or some type of refreshment for a chat during the event.

Mike

I got an email today asking if I would host a Q&A session with the Eagle. So if anyone wants to join in on that it's going to be Tuesday morning from 0900-0930. Apparently they're going to set up a Bose system, etc and will have some EAA folks there to get the questions rolling. So two times you can def catch me in a particular place and time at Osh - Tues at 0900 at the Eagle and Thurs at 1430.

[QUOTE="EvilEagle, post: 2095914 So two times you can def catch me in a particular place and time at Osh - Tues at 0900 at the Eagle and Thurs at 1430.[/QUOTE]

Put me down for Thursday :)

Andrew, hi. Sounds very similar to my timings as I arrive Tuesday night, and leave Saturday.

Be happy to meet up over lunch or some type of refreshment for a chat during the event.

Mike

Sounds great. Then for the rest of your days, you can tell of the time you crossed the pond to go to the greatest aviation celebration on earth, and ate an overpriced bratwurst in Wisconsin with two fat guys from Oklahoma. ;)

Which is a good point. What's the best food to head for, what's famous to eat at Oshkosh?

I've only been once, and didn't really have the time to explore many eateries. Wisconsin has a pretty heavy German influence, very unlike my part of the world, so I tended to gravitate toward the German food offered on the grounds, just for something different than home.

Alas I don't know of any particularly good GERMAN places. There was a great one up next to the Sacred Heart convent but it went belly up a decade ago. The Granery went out of business and the restaurant that replaced it was terrible and it didn't last long either.

We usually make a trip to Wendt's on the Lake for perch or roast beef (as your tastes goes). For "fine dining" the place to go is the White House up in Butte Des Mortes (pronounced BYOO-Duh-Murr up there). There's Lara's for mexican and Roxy's for steaks.

Alas I don't know of any particularly good GERMAN places. There was a great one up next to the Sacred Heart convent but it went belly up a decade ago. The Granery went out of business and the restaurant that replaced it was terrible and it didn't last long either.

Google says there's a couple in Appleton - OB's Brau Haus or Mark's East Side. Both have good ratings on Google, 4.3 and 4.0 respectively. Of course you need a car or someone with a car...

Wendts looks a possible option, I'll have to check the times to get down bearing in mind they close at 9pm or 10 on Fridays.

Shame the beef seems to be Saturday after 4pm only.

What's the deal with cheese curds??

I tried them....they were OK. Fried breaded cheese balls.....
Those are ones made into an appetizer. The curds themselves are just lumps of proto-cheese and if sufficiently fresh will squeak when you bite into them. Yah hey der.

gottem at one of the food booths at OSH.....they were sold like a side of fries.

WHat you had is to cheese curds what those TGIF mozzerella sticks are to mozzerella cheese.

I've never found cheese curds to be that particularly appetizing. They aren't bad or anything, but they certainly aren't worth making the trip over.

I had to ask, as a few years back we want to the Georgia state fair and had corn dogs for the first time.... I'm always up for something different (as long as I don't regret it hours later )

Mike

I had to ask, as a few years back we want to the Georgia state fair and had corn dogs for the first time.... I'm always up for something different (as long as I don't regret it hours later )

Good for you. I also try and sample the local fare during my travels. They don't have corn dogs in England? Explains a few things.

I'm a Wisconsin native, and I've been to OSH 34 times, so listen up:

There are only three restaurants within walking distance from the North 40 aircraft camping area that are worth a damn. They are:

1. Charcoal Pit. The most truly "Wisconsin" dish on their menu -- and you are insane is you don't order it -- is lake perch. This has been a traditional Friday night (think: Catholics) meal in Wisconsin for over half a century, and Charcoal Pit does it right.

2. Friar Tucks. This small Wisconsin chain has two outstanding offerings: Baked French onion soup, and a sandwich called the Little John. Order both, and you won't eat for two days.

3. LeSeur's. This Oshkosh tradition has been family owned for four decades. They serve the best breakfast, anywhere.

If you have a car, there are others -- but we never stray far from the field, and certainly never farther than those three restaurants.

And, actually, the last several years the temporary restaurant in the North 40 itself has been quite excellent.

And, actually, the last several years the temporary restaurant in the North 40 itself has been quite excellent.
Major Goolsby. They also operate a stand in Vintage. Huge portions. The breakfast will carry you through the day.

I've never been but I'll be in wave 1 sun - wed. If you see me, feel free to visit and buy me a beer

Back