First Thoughts: OSH 2016

weirdjim

Ejection Handle Pulled
Display Name

Display name:
weirdjim
Subaru to Oshkosh again. $1.50 for car gas vs. $4.00 for avgas is a no-brainer.

Leaving Grass Valley on Thursday, Kansas City on Saturday, Oshkosh on Sunday. Staying through Wednesday night, back through KC, to GV the following Tuesday with the damned trailer full of Cyndi's books, pots, pans, and all the rest of the stuff she left behind three years ago.

Probably a forum on Tuesday, possibly Monday or Wednesday. This year it is how to do an audio panel without an audio panel.

Tent in Scholler again. I wish I had known about Scholler twenty years ago.

Other than the usual stuff about frequencies, approaches, and the contact list from who is going, anything else you want to see on my Oshkosh web page?

Who all is going and what and how and where and why?

Jim

We'll be there. No idea on exact dates yet. This past year we flew in for the first time and camped with the plane in HBC. Frankly I found it kinda boring but the facilities and location were awesome. However, this year, I'm thinking about just parking the plane and going back to Scholler and camp with our EAA Chapter. Decisions, decisions..........

We're only paying $3.70 for avgas (and $1.59 for auto fuel).

I'll be there the usual times, typically Wednesday the week before the show. I'm typically parked the first plane in the row just ahead of the trees behind the Hangar cafe. I tent in the woods behind it.

Last edited:
We'll be there. No idea on exact dates yet. This past year we flew in for the first time and camped with the plane in HBC. Frankly I found it kinda boring but the facilities and location were awesome. However, this year, I'm thinking about just parking the plane and going back to Scholler and camp with our EAA Chapter. Decisions, decisions..........

HBC is largely older white guys who like to drink beer and tell tales. Even more so than the rest of the show. Makes it a bit of a challenge for people who bring their families. You don't want SWMBO and the kids to be bored and disinclined to come back.

One of these days I'll bring my son (he's 5 now), and I'll face that challenge too. In the meantime, I'll be looking for shade and having a beer. ;-)

HBC is largely older white guys who like to drink beer and tell tales. Even more so than the rest of the show. Makes it a bit of a challenge for people who bring their families. You don't want SWMBO and the kids to be bored and disinclined to come back.

One of these days I'll bring my son (he's 5 now), and I'll face that challenge too. In the meantime, I'll be looking for shade and having a beer. ;-)

Hey Kyle, actually we leave the kids to their own devices (they're teenagers). No one around us was doing anything but sleeping and SWMBO is more into the after hours social scene than I am :D. So we hoofed it on over to the SOS bros tent mostly but that hike got old real quick. Meanwhile my EAA mates, most of whom drove up in RVs, were partying it up every night in Scholler.

Will be there this year. Not sure if I am camping or hoteling.will be coming in my liberty from ma. Hoping to meet some of the faces behind the names of you POA people.

As usual we plan to be there for the entire week in Scholler. We'll expect to have the party as usual, so come on by! It's the night before Jay's in Camp Bacon. More details to come.

Was there in the early 90's great time. Wish I had the cash to attend. Have fun :)

Drove the motor home up last year and stayed in sleepy hollow. Plan this year is to fly the Venture. For those of you who stay in hotels, do they have shuttles to the airport or do you call a taxi? Trying to decide if I am going to stay in a hotel or rent a camper in Scholler.

Scheduled to fly an Eagle to Oshkosh this year, really excited to do that. Come on by and say hi!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Scheduled to fly an Eagle to Oshkosh this year, really excited to do that. Come on by and say hi!

I'll buy you a beer at either Homebuilt camping or SOS brothers if you're so inclined...

This one is shaping up to be another record breaker.

All air conditioned rooms at U of W are booked. I am #250 on the waiting list.

Well that's awesome.

Right now it looks like I'll be there with the fifth wheel in Scholler at Camp Bacon. May be solo this year, Karen is tight on vacation time for other things.

Subaru to Oshkosh again. $1.50 for car gas vs. $4.00 for avgas is a no-brainer.

Dunno about that. Extra travel engenders extra expense. Meals, lodging and other expenses. Last time I did a big bike trip the cost totals evened up.

Of course, the Lucky Strike will be there with its master and chief pilot.

This one is shaping up to be another record breaker.

All air conditioned rooms at U of W are booked. I am #250 on the waiting list.

There are very cool other places...

This will be my first year flying in with my father. We're camping in an RV in the Warbirds!

Do you get charged by the letter for your internet? Then please don't use abbrvtns like HBC??? and SWMBO ??? just to show how cool you are.

Thanks,

Jim

Home Built Camping, and She Who Must Be Obeyed.

Not that hard to figure out, really, in context.

Home Built Camping, and She Who Must Be Obeyed.

Not that hard to figure out, really, in context.

Especially SWMBO. It's commonly used everywhere and should be a well known acronymn to anyone who peeks out from under the rock occasionally.

Do you get charged by the letter for your internet? Then please don't use abbrvtns like HBC??? and SWMBO ??? just to show how cool you are.

Thanks,

Jim

I've never considered using abbreviations as cool. Just efficient for people within a niche. You know, abbreviations like VFR, GA, IFR, PPL, SEL, FAA, EAA, GPS, ADS-B, ELT, LED, OSH, NTSB, ATC, TSO, ATP, FBO, BFR, CFI, NDB, VOR, ASI, VSI, CHT, EGT, RPM, and dozens of others bounced around these pages on a daily basis. If you didn't recognize one I use, why not educate yourself or ask politely?

BTW (ooh, I did it again), HBC is prominent on the 4th page of this link:

http://www.rst-engr.com/rst/oshkosh/OshBound.pdf

All I could come up with for SWMBO was Single White Male w/ Body Odor, which in context made perfect sense. At 51 YO and 15 years into my PPL, I'm thinking this might be the year to do OSH for the first time ever.

All I could come up with for SWMBO was Single White Male w/ Body Odor, which in context made perfect sense. At 51 YO and 15 years into my PPL, I'm thinking this might be the year to do OSH for the first time ever.

SWMBO is She Who Must Be Obeyed.

Boy should you ever. That Skyhaw will be a big hit too.

I've never considered using abbreviations as cool. Just efficient for people within a niche. You know, abbreviations like VFR, GA, IFR, PPL, SEL, FAA, EAA, GPS, ADS-B, ELT, LED, OSH, NTSB, ATC, TSO, ATP, FBO, BFR, CFI, NDB, VOR, ASI, VSI, CHT, EGT, RPM, and dozens of others bounced around these pages on a daily basis. If you didn't recognize one I use, why not educate yourself or ask politely?

BTW (ooh, I did it again), HBC is prominent on the 4th page of this link:

http://www.rst-engr.com/rst/oshkosh/OshBound.pdf

First of all, I appreciate your name reference to something I hold quite dear in my profession...I have been told that I use my A&P/IA in somewhat the same way.

Second of all, this is an aviation forum. All your aviation abbrtns are quite easy to interpret. The only one I would object to is LED, although I teach LED theory and practice in college.

I did NOT get the reference to HomeBuiltCamping although I have been supplying window posters for the brethren and sistren for that activity for almost forty years.

As to the Obey stuff, never saw it before. It was just a request that perhaps all of us aren't quite as internet literate as the rest of our colleagues.

Mny tnx es CUL OM, tnx fer ur QSO.

Jim

Went last year for the first time so probably won't go this year. But looks like another good one!

30th anniversary of the RV-6?

Hell yes Candy will be there in HBC!

All I need is a little encouragement, been talking about it for years. :yes:

I'd offer to fly up in formation but the Skyhawk will not keep up wth my Mooney. I don't think I can fly that slow and keep the engine sufficiently warm.

Still, go. You will have the best time you've ever had. Its sort of like a POA fly-in on the most amazing mutant super-steroids ever invented.

Jamie and I will be volunteering at Warbirds again this year. Just got our RV spot all spoken for just today. If you're down in the T34 area stop by and say hello. Jamie works Warbird volunteer registration....I'm the guy in the orange boonie hat and shirt, blue jeans, workboots and a sunburn. We have a great time at Air Venture and look forward to seeing our friends again this year.

I'm on the even year plan since my wife doesn't camp and wants me to spend some of my vacation with her. I'll be in on Sunday out on Thursday (weather permitting) and camping in Vintage.

Back