First step on the missed...

smv

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
smv
It is often said that the first step on every missed approach is to climb...

Except when it isn't...

To Wit: The ILS RWY 14R approach into KBFI. Assume you are just reaching TOGAE (or even worse, have not quite arrived there yet) and, for whatever reason you want to imagine, you need to execute a missed approach. Your first step is not to climb. You first step is to continue straight ahead and descend to 1500 or less until you are 5.6 miles past the approach end of 14R at OCEZE where you can finally start climbing.

Always remember, "Never say Always".

Screenshot_20200616-164950_Pilot.jpg

That’s one of the “problems” of the IR training. 99% of our approaches are going to missed at 200ft AGL. I seldom practiced missed approaches besides at minimums. It’s important to practice them at higher altitudes as well and make sure we’re not making any turns before the MAP.

Thanks for providing this data point. It's a good reminder to properly brief the missed approach procedure and not take for granted it starts with the same old same old.

Out of curiosity, what is at or near OCEZE that requires remaining at or below 1500 ft.?

Thanks for providing this data point. It's a good reminder to properly brief the missed approach procedure and not take for granted it starts with the same old same old.

Out of curiosity, what is at or near OCEZE that requires remaining at or below 1500 ft.?

As I undertand it in this case it is possible traffic conflicts from KSEA and KRNT.

That’s one of the “problems” of the IR training. 99% of our approaches are going to missed at 200ft AGL. I seldom practiced missed approaches besides at minimums. It’s important to practice them at higher altitudes as well and make sure we’re not making any turns before the MAP.

What brought this to my attention was an "ASRS Callback"¹ where a B767-300 was on the approach (when it was still 13R) at 1900' when the glideslope went INOP. They executed a missed approach and got "yelled at" by ATC for not descending. Unknown if the 13R approach was so clearly marked as the current version as to the possibilty of the need for an initial descent but if it was, both pilots in this case somehow missed it...

¹ I am reading every single available issue of Callback since they became available online in 1994 and I am up to Issue 463 (August 2018). LOTS of good reading in those things.

P.S. I will certainly integrate this one into my training process somewhere... "Every missed aproach begins with a climb, except when it does not..."

Approaches to 16 at KSEA

Back