First Solo....well, kinda, sorta...

Damn!

I am a former member of RI Flying Club. They didn't have that 172 at the time, it was a Warrior and the current Arrow back then.

Can't tell you how ticked I'd be if a member pulled that kind of bone head move.

(The club I'm leaving now does not allow basic training. Apparently for good reason)

Dudes in deep kimchi.

Jeez , some people should be banned from flying, or may be he was meant to fly... is this a 17 yr old bullet proof guy?

I wonder is he told the tower this was his first solo?

This flying stuff is easy. I’ve got hundreds of hours logged on MS Flight Sim. See? :)

So, did I read the original article correctly? He attempted 5 landings “each time messing up the airplane more”?

That had to be quite a show.

17? That's kids will be kids stuff. Criminal record will go on the back burner. May cause him a little grief if he ever needs a job that allows access to those records. So what's the story with the FAA. Will they deny further application for any certificates? Oh yeah. What a stoopid sheet

So, did I read the original article correctly? He attempted 5 landings “each time messing up the airplane more”?

That had to be quite a show.

Some of the links have a video shot by a bystander showing him bouncing off of something that’s not a runway multiple times and then climbing back out, with the person holding the camera chanting “oh ****, oh ****, oh ****” in nearly a whisper most of the video.

I'd like to hear the radio traffic from that one; alas, liveatc doesn't seem to have an archive for it...

Some of the links have a video shot by a bystander showing him bouncing off of something that’s not a runway multiple times and then climbing back out, with the person holding the camera chanting “oh ****, oh ****, oh ****” in nearly a whisper most of the video.

Would you happen to have those links available to post? I didn't see them, so my Google-Fu must be weak. :p

17? That's kids will be kids stuff. Criminal record will go on the back burner.
Have no idea what the law is in CA but here a kid can (and likely would) be tried as an adult at 17 for a stunt like this.

16 no. 17 yes.

Touch and...touch and...touch and go...

He’s lucky this wasn’t much worse.

I hope his parents have deep pockets...gonna need them.

This is the kind of go get em' attitude that'll make for a great PIC some day.

Exactly. He was going to finish his training on his own! He is perfect for our new EM-50 project in Italy.

(fast forward to 1:38 to hear the tower's conversation with this motivated individual)

It's been on facebook, sadly the idiot survived and probably has reproduced.

9358c7a06aa6c6ffa1aef29f09875be3.jpeg

It was, wasn't it? Outcome aside, and consequences ignored, I kinda admire the mindset. . .

It’s kinda like watching the ditzy neighbor who says, “we’ve always wanted to start a restaurant...” then they kinda make it for a while until the train wreck...

Or any idiot who says, “I think I want to get my CFI and teach!”

Oh... wait... crap. ;)

Exactly the same thing happened to me, too. The only difference was that it was my own airplane. Also, I ended with minor damage, about $850 all told, but the poor 172 is going to require a new firewall, a propeller, and an engine overhaul. Otherwise, exactly the same, with 5 landings, each ending with porpoising.

Back