First Solo Cross Country

shyampatel94

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Shyam Patel
My first cross country is this Saturday! From KHYI to KVCT. Any tips?

Remember the 5-C's if you get lost

Confess
Climb
Circle
Communicate
...and most important
CASH -- So you can purchase a better GPS

Best thing is to get out your paper (or papyrus) sectional and mark it up as detailed as you'd like with your route, waypoints, easily identified land marks, use of radio nav-aids, time enroute marks, etc.

I got a nice "atta-boy" from my CFI when I showed him how I planned to use crossing radials from a nearby VOR to verify my position along my course line and then executed that during the flight.

Oh, and be ready to ask for and make use of Flight Following. This is great experience to train your ear and brain to pick up your tail# out of the ATC chatter when the controller needs to give you an instruction.

For an additional challenge, your instructor might ask you to switch to Flight Service to open your flight plan. Have the correct frequency ready in your crib notes will make that easy.

All the sounds you hear about half way in are most likely going to make you think something is wrong. Hopefully you paid attention to those airplane sounds when you had your instructor next to you. Good luck. Enjoy the flight! :)

Relax and enjoy it. I've felt since my own first solo XC on 8/27/69 that this is what really marks you as a pilot -- the ability to get in a plane, fly it somewhere else, and then fly it back all by yourself.

Conditions permitting, if it gets too bumpy for your comfort don't be afraid to climb 2,000'.

When I did my first long solo I was getting unnerved at the bumpiness during the transition from farmland to city. I originally planned about 2,500'AGL, but then climbed to about 4,500'AGL (5,500'MSL here) and it was completely smooth. I'd never flown when the controls were that crisp.

It also taught me to start determining distance versus descent rate better (as previously I was close enough to pattern altitude most of the time to just slop it down).

Do your darndest to not cheat and use the GPS or iPad. If you really get out of whack, know it's there, but my first two I had a blast just flying out the window, tracking VOR's and hunting down airports I hadn't been to before. It was a blast.

Of course now, even as a new PPL, I always set my GPS D-> or waypoints but I still love having my sectional or iPad in my lap keeping track of where I am and scouting stuff to keep my knife sharp in that department.

Good luck!!

I didn't even own a tablet until after my checkride. They are absolutely NOT necessary. Most of the aircraft I have access to have no GPS. I did my long cross-country in one of them. Two nav/comms and a DME that I discovered didn't work while I was already on my way.

My second stop was at KFCH. That's REALLY easy to find by pilotage in daytime, as it's right next to a major highway. Nevertheless, the avionics tech I met while I was there (screwing up the fuel pump) expressed marvel at the fact that I'd found that airport with no GPS. Say what? It's not like there was any challenge to that.

I can get GPS-equipped aircraft, but I generally don't because they are cheaper and more available without it and make very little difference in VFR capability.

If you get lost, you have several options that don't involve the GPS. If you're on flight following, Center knows exactly where you are, and you can ask. You can find a nearby VOR and fly there to get oriented. You can identify landmarks. You can cross radials, but that requires a bit of fiddling with the chart.

I'd suggest leaving that tablet behind, to remove the crutch. You have to prove to yourself that when the brown stuff hits the fan, YOU can figure it out without depending on any specific piece of equipment that may not be there when you need it.

take 10 seconds to realize how many people have not done what your about to do. remember that your instructor wouldnt have signed you off if he didnt feel you were ready. enjoy your flight!

Do your darndest to not cheat and use the GPS or iPad. If you really get out of whack, know it's there, but my first two I had a blast just flying out the window, tracking VOR's and hunting down airports I hadn't been to before. It was a blast.

Of course now, even as a new PPL, I always set my GPS D-> or waypoints but I still love having my sectional or iPad in my lap keeping track of where I am and scouting stuff to keep my knife sharp in that department.

Good luck!!

That's the way we did it in the days before, LORAN or GPS or tablets and smart phones with navigators.

Heading control, visual check points, groundspeed checks and elapsed time.

Relax keep looking out the window and have fun. Don't let the weather sneak up on you.

Good luck!!

+1

Keep a eye out the window and another on your chart.

Better to keep below clouds and be low then go above them when weather gets iffy.

Keep track of time, remember how many HOURS of fuel you have and stick your tanks and check our oil at your destination airport before you head back, verify it's what you planned.

Dont crash

And most of all HAVE FUN!

Thanks guys! I will be taking my GoPro and another camera along so I can post the video on youtube!
Please leave the cameras alone and focus on your flying. If you can turn them on before start and turn them off after shutdown, mighty fine, but don't try to do anything with them between.

Agreed on the camera....great debrief tool and momento if you can operate it without any distraction.

ENJOY the flight, as others have said, smell the roses, look around, enjoy the view.

Stay ahead of the airplane. Know where you are now...where you're going to next and how you're going to get there.

It's ok to be absolutely giddy about the flight...it will be a huge accomplishment.

Haha trust me, I wouldn't dare mess with the camera's during the flight!

Relax, take care of the necessities before you leave and before takeoff:

1) Understand that YOU are the only one who can get you home safely once you take off
2) Accept that you will get minorly lost at some point & have a plan for reestablishing your position and picking up your nav scan.

Don't F it up. Best, at the time meaningless, advice ever given to me. So I give it to you too :)

My first solo ccx involved flying through a snowstorm, going inadvertent IMC, and getting ALDIS lights to a full stop (complete electrical failure). If an idiot like me can do it, so can you

Last edited:
ENJOY IT...I did my first on Monday. My takaways were:

1-I was well prepared (almost too much so)- Kind of felt like not such a big deal when I was on my way to my 2nd checkpoint.

2-Stay ahead of the aircraft- You are PIC, not your instructor! Make the plane do what you want it to do- you already have the skill set.

3-It is super easy to fly and have a look around when some guy isn't asking about; your location on the map, what the winds are doing, what radial you are following, what your eta will be, etc.-

4-Take the time to ask yourself Where am I on my map? What are the winds doing? What radial am I following? What is my eta for next waypoint? Etc...

5-When you get to your destination, Park and take a break...walk around, chat up anyone who makes eye contact, buy something from the FBO/Rest area (fuel counts, keep the reciept), live in the moment- You are a Pilot NOW.

6-When you get home call your Mom/family.. share! Bring flowers for the significant other!:goofy:

ENJOY IT...I did my first on Monday. My takaways were:

1-I was well prepared (almost too much so)- Kind of felt like not such a big deal when I was on my way to my 2nd checkpoint.

2-Stay ahead of the aircraft- You are PIC, not your instructor! Make the plane do what you want it to do- you already have the skill set.

3-It is super easy to fly and have a look around when some guy isn't asking about; your location on the map, what the winds are doing, what radial you are following, what your eta will be, etc.-

4-Take the time to ask yourself Where am I on my map? What are the winds doing? What radial am I following? What is my eta for next waypoint? Etc...

5-When you get to your destination, Park and take a break...walk around, chat up anyone who makes eye contact, buy something from the FBO/Rest area (fuel counts, keep the reciept), live in the moment- You are a Pilot NOW.

6-When you get home call your Mom/family.. share! Bring flowers for the significant other!:goofy:

1) yes, be over prepared so you're not as flustered as you think you're going to be in the plane.

6- I'll add that I like to thoroughly enjoy a Guinness after a solo xc. Or any lesson. Or after basically any flight.

Haha trust me, I wouldn't dare mess with the camera's during the flight!

Why not?

Once you relax and start enjoying the flight, you will discover that you have a LOT of time up there. There's nobody to talk to, it's easy to stay on course, and you'll spend the first half hour wondering what you've forgotten because you're not used to having free time while you fly!

If you're not doing stupid things, you'll fall into a routine of your scan for traffic, scan instruments, mark progress on the chart (instead of lines or dots, I suggest you make "^" marks, showing the direction you're going), and enjoying the scenery. Plenty of time in there for adjusting cameras and talking about your flight.

My Lightspeed headset has a jack for plugging in phone or iPod, so I take along some Music to Watch Clouds By.

Matter of fact, go to YouTube and watch this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0k2Zzkw_-0I

How can you beat the combination of cute girls, airplanes and a catchy tune?

Because it's a distraction and you're talking to a student pilot.

You WILL have the wrong attitude after playing with a camera. Whether it's enough to be called an unusual attitude depends on conditions and time. In even barely perceptible turbulence, you can accumulate a lot of roll in a few seconds of inattention. In a 152 (with no rudder trim), you can do that even in perfectly smooth air.

I'll presume you haven't done the unusual attitude exercise where you try to steer the airplane with your eyes closed. Try it. Maybe then you'll understand why focusing on a camera is a bad idea.

If you have time to screw with a camera, you have time for one more traffic scan. A Mooney at the wrong altitude comes at you REALLY FAST. Closing speed is easily 5 miles per minute, and things coming straight at you are hard to spot because they don't move.

Cameras are never necessary for safe flight. As a pilot, you must prioritize.

bring your iphone or smart phone of some sort and you will not get lost. I used my camera phone when i was up and just cruising. But to each their own I was also very safe and kept control didnt let it get in the way if anything im dropping that phone and flying the plane.

I filmed a lot of stuff when I was in training. I used a nFlightcam and suctioned cupped it to the back window and setup the audio before I even started the engine. Once I was done with my runup, I'd start the camera and wouldn't mess with it until I was back at my hangar.

It was never a distraction for me - in fact 99% of the time I completely forgot it was there.

I think you are fine taking that approach but as a student on a XC I wouldn't be messing around at all with anything that wasn't related to flying the plane.

Relax and enjoy it. I've felt since my own first solo XC on 8/27/69 that this is what really marks you as a pilot -- the ability to get in a plane, fly it somewhere else, and then fly it back all by yourself.

Bingo. That first XC solo is a major milestone. Have fun. Mine was KOLM to KKLS and back. 51 nm each way. Now, this is a regular IFR (I Follow Roads) route. Pick up I-5 as you climb out of KOLM and follow it to KKLS. If you can get lost with this route, find another way to dispose of your income. :D But, then, VFR navigation in western Washington on a clear day is about as easy as it can get. Cascades are east. Olympics are NW. Water is north/south. So is I-5. I don't know where you are doing your XC, but plan it, have waypoints at convenient intervals and have a great time, pilot.

Don't F it up. Best, at the time meaningless, advice ever given to me. So I give it to you too :)

My first solo ccx involved flying through a snowstorm, going inadvertent IMC, and getting ALDIS lights to a full stop (complete electrical failure). If an idiot like me can do it, so can you
WOW you survived all that on your Solo ! I am impressed ! You are No Idiot ! Cheers !:)

First solo XC is when I realized I could actually fly somewhere else by myself. Three pieces of advice- no one else knows you are a student pilot( unless you tell them on the radio). Be confident in your decisions. Not making confident choices gets people in trouble in aviation. If the weather is iffy- turn around and fly back to where you left, an most certainly don't take off if the weather is marginal. Second is to enjoy the trip. Look outside and take in the view! As someone above me said, take some time to think about how awesome what you are doing actually is! Lastly, stay ahead of the plane. Get those frequencies plugged in as soon as possible. Get the weather at the airport well in advance. Plan what you are going to say when calling the tower and visualize what pattern entry you are going to get. All this helps.

I'll share a quick story from my first XC- I flew to KGON( Groton CT.). I'm approaching the airport and I make the call and announce I'm a student pilot. ATC takes great care of me and I land no problem. Taxi back and takeoff again. I get to te edge of the class d airspace and call back the tower and say, " Groton tower sky hawk ...... Clear of your airspace to the south."The tower calls me back and says, " roger, thanks, and make sure you go back to that flight school of yours and tell em for me that you done great." I smiled from ear to ear and rode back the whole way back to my home airport so much calmer and that's when I actually felt like a part of the aviation community.

With that G1000 equipped 172 you are flying, you'll be hard pressed to get lost but make an effort to identify landmark checkpoints along the way just for practice. If you ever have a complete electrical failure, the skill comes in handy.

Have fun! It will be very peaceful up there alone without your CFI singing. Yeah, I watched your video. ;-)

Finished my solo cross country! Had to change the destination airport due to weather! But it was a great flight and I am a lot more confident in my skills! Thanks for all of the tips!

Great job! Especially having to change your destination -- good judgement and good planning!

I have my first solo cross-country tomorrow and am really excited about it.

Thank you! Good luck! Where are you going for your cross country?

Congrats! Next time ask to fly somewhere fun, like Brenham or Fredericksburg (Stinson has an excellent creole restaurant now too)

Congrats! Next time ask to fly somewhere fun, like Brenham or Fredericksburg (Stinson has an excellent creole restaurant now too)

I would have flown to Fredericksburg but I needed at least 150nm.

I would have flown to Fredericksburg but I needed at least 150nm.

Why? 1st solo XC only has to be to an airport at least 51 nm away and back. The long XC needs to be at least 150 nm with stops at 2 other airports, one of which is at least 51 nm from the starting airport.

That said, I hope you had fun. :D

I'll presume you haven't done the unusual attitude exercise where you try to steer the airplane with your eyes closed. Try it. Maybe then you'll understand why focusing on a camera is a bad idea.

If you're flying where 5 seconds messing with a camera while trimmed in level flight is going to put you in danger, that's not a place where a student pilot should be in the first place.

Eyes in the cockpit is not the same as eyes closed, for anyone who has passed the peripheral vision part of the medical.

If you're flying where 5 seconds messing with a camera while trimmed in level flight is going to put you in danger, that's not a place where a student pilot should be in the first place.

Eyes in the cockpit is not the same as eyes closed, for anyone who has passed the peripheral vision part of the medical.

Place your attention where it belongs or get out of the air. A camera is never flight critical unless you fly a UAV. It might be mission critical under some circumstances, but never for a private or student pilot.

If you are task saturated fiddling with a camera, it is EXACTLY like flying with your eyes closed. And student pilots get task saturated very easily.

Fly the damn plane. Always, without exception, no matter what.

Place your attention where it belongs or get out of the air.

Dunno where you fly, but if your sky is so busy that you can't spend 5 seconds to look at a camera, you sure as heck can't spare 10 to set your radio, look at the chart, check the GPS, or trying to figure out if THIS tower on the map is THAT tower down there.

That's not flying, that's an air hockey game, and NOT a place that I would send a student on a solo flight.

If you are trimmed in level flight, several thousand feet above the ground, in daylight VMC, the only danger within 5 seconds either comes from 6-low or from within the aircraft. There's plenty of time for charts, radios, iPads or cameras, so long as you keep making your visual scans every few seconds.

If you are task saturated fiddling with a camera, it is EXACTLY like flying with your eyes closed.

How is being "task saturated fiddling with a camera" any different than being "task saturated" fiddling with charts, commo changes, calculating location with VORTAC bearings, etc?

And no, it's not like flying with your eyes closed, or the FAA wouldn't require that pilots have peripheral vision.

Last edited:
Back