First real emergency

DavidWhite

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
DW
Had my first real emergency in a plane today. I was flying to Houston to meet Jesse and Ted in a rented Cessna 210 when the cockpit started filling up with smoke. I opened up all the windows and vents to get the smoke out, and then I declared an emergency and went to San Marcos (the closest airport) I lined up to land with the runway and tried to bring the gear down, but the gear wouldn't come down. I started pumping on the hand pump to get the gear down (which I realized was hot) and managed to get the gear down and land safetly. All the firetrucks and stuff met me and I was happy to be on the ground, I didn't realize until all the adrenaline wore off that I burned my hand trying to get the gear down because the handle was so hot. Turns out a hydraulic line busted and there was hydraulic fluid all over the place (cause of the smoke and why I couldnt get the gear down)

399825_2720496692109_1247804014_32082460_163659111_n.jpg

Last edited:
I saw your post on FB, and as I said over there, this is one discrepancy the 210 will not tolerate, old hoses, and hydraulic leaks.

You did great, taking it down by the numbers.

I saw your post on FB, and as I said over there, this is one discrepancy the 210 will not tolerate, old hoses, and hydraulic leaks.

You did great, taking it down by the numbers.

Just out of curiosity, and so I know for future reference - which airplanes WILL tolerate old hoses and hydraulic leaks? I need to know to make sure I only own one of those...

Good job David....

Wow - if I ever have a emergency I hope it turns out as well. Nicely done, Sir.

How's your hand now David? Did the paramedics take a look and treat it? Glad you made it down safe otherwise.

Just out of curiosity, and so I know for future reference - which airplanes WILL tolerate old hoses and hydraulic leaks? I need to know to make sure I only own one of those...

Good job David....

Well, hydraulic pressure holds the gear up in an Arrow. Lose pressure and the gear comes down all by itself. Have fun raising it again, however. :D

You need to find the LiveATC feed with your emergency declaration in it and post it :p

With planning and good luck, you may never have to start a thread titled "Second real emergency."

Good job.

Very nice job none the less!! :)

Found part of it!
http://archive-server.liveatc.net/kaus/KAUS2-Feb-21-2012-0130Z.mp3
Starting at 06:26 APP is talking to a guy about you. A pilot was worried about you outcome when he heard San Marcos was closed.

I have yet to find your actual radio calls. I have a feeling they got masked by TWR. Since this is a multi freq feed.

*If that link does not work it is: AUS FEED #1 Feb 21 0130Z-0200Z

Last edited:
Ok I found me. Go to the KAUS feed #1 and go to 8:45. You cant hear me declare but you can hear everything else it sounds like.

Ok I found me. Go to the KAUS feed #1 and go to 8:45. You cant hear me declare but you can hear everything else it sounds like.

Ok so you found the part with you still airborne? Add that with my link and you got everything on both sides.

Saw your FB post first too... and replied there. Good job. And I posted that you owe each and every CFI in your logbook a beer now.

Is there any way to put those 2 togehter? I have no idea how to do that but I would like to have a copy of this for posterity.

To smash the recordings together? Sure... download Audacity... or if you're stumped, I can smash 'em together for you... only take about 5 minutes.

I love the part when the controller asks you if you have time to copy down a phone number. Great answer! Aviate, Navigate, Communicate!! You followed that to the letter! :thumbsup: I wonder if he felt dumb after your reply.

Yep.. Let me find a pen in this smoke filled cockpit.. Oh darn now where is that piece of paper. :idea:

lol thanks, I didnt really feel like writing down any phone numbers. my eyes were burning from the smoke and I was busy trying to pump the gear down. lots of excitement.

Okay, no problem...

What was your tail number today?

I can dig out the individual transmissions and make you a file from those also, but that'll take a little longer.

Back