First real emergency

Actually, I was at a seminar this evening about communications during an emergency, and I used David's telling the controller that he was busy flying the plane when asked to take down a number as an example for the group.

Actually, I was at a seminar this evening about communications during an emergency, and I used David's telling the controller that he was busy flying the plane when asked to take down a number as an example for the group.

I can't wait to tell David's story, but I'm not quite sure when it will come up. Perhaps at my next WINGS but I doubt it.

In the photos those planes don't have landing gear. I don't have my complex sign off. And I don't have "extra" money for stuff like this. I just want to fly around in "my" plane and get better and better. Not sure I want to do formations just yet. I need to work on my own navigation skills!
Why should you predispose that you would need to pay for all of this? My point was if you don't try you won't know.

In my experience there are many pilots more than willing to introduce you to what they do. And those may lead to other opportunities. That you are a new pilot and a comely woman makes it doubly so. Put yourself out there. For a few shekels more* than you would normally spend on a cross country flight at your level, you would avail yourself to some outstanding opportunities.

*in some cases it may cost you nothing more than getting yourself there. I was able to fly round trip California coast IFR to Oklahoma for nothing more than a tank of gas (56 gallons) when I was at the private level. There are other experiences but the jist is don't discount the experience soley because you think it outside your budget.

Last edited:
My point is....

there is nothing wrong about flying yourself around at your speed and at your time. But what if there was an opportunity that allowed you to do all that plus experience a greater thing and all for the same cost...or less cost? What if you were introduced to, say a Bonanza pilot well versed in formation flying but allowed you to the opportunity to fly and manuever the aircraft according to your desire? And they would allow you to land at some distant location, and you better learned relationship of airspeed and angle of attack or a thousand different things and all in one exciting day.

And since cost is so prevalent in the mind of the renter pilot, how better to maximize your investment. And to learn more than you imagined at your level and to have gobs of fun in the doing.

There are many pilots who long to share the joy of flight. Do not prohibit yourself from those opportunities.

My point is....

there is nothing wrong about flying yourself around at your speed and at your time. But what if there was an opportunity that allowed you to do all that plus experience a greater thing and all for the same cost...or less cost? What if you were introduced to, say a Bonanza pilot well versed in formation flying but allowed you to the opportunity to fly and manuever the aircraft according to your desire? And they would allow you to land at some distant location, and you better learned relationship of airspeed and angle of attack or a thousand different things and all in one exciting day.

And since cost is so prevalent in the mind of the renter pilot, how better to maximize your investment. And to learn more than you imagined at your level and to have gobs of fun in the doing.

There are many pilots who long to share the joy of flight. Do not prohibit yourself from those opportunities.

I flew on Saturday in a 152 and on Sunday in a 172. Both privately owned, both owners happy to share flight. I am not prohibiting myself.

Oh and apparently I may have a Bonanza opportunity in March or April. You have no idea how much time I spend trying to network with pilots. And of course I don't just show up, I offer help or lunch or avgas or whatever. Usually refused. And no, I haven't used the "being a girl" thing to my advantage.

In fact, often we just have beers, in hangars, talking about pilots and flying and all that jazz. I now know pilots at:

Sonoma Skypark
Petaluma
Gnoss
Oakland
Sacramento Executive
Santa Rosa
Palo Alto

Excellent, Kimberly. But remember it was only a few months ago that you decried there were no pilots within your realm.

Ahem... a 152 and a 172. While being checked out in both airframes is a notable achievement...not to mention all the other crap of switching FBOs and such...says much of your determination....I say still contant Chris Baker. Who knows what is to follow?

Hell, it wasn't too long ago you thought no way could you enter Class B, then you were amazed they "let you in" and they directed heavy iron around YOU in your put put 152. How cool is that?

Well baby, there are cooler things waiting for you. Do what I suggest to find out. Over.

Excellent, Kimberly. But remember it was only a few months ago that you decried there were no pilots within your realm.

Ahem... a 152 and a 172. While being checked out in both airframes is a notable achievement...not to mention all the other crap of switching FBOs and such...says much of your determination....I say still contant Chris Baker. Who knows what is to follow?

Hell, it wasn't too long ago you thought no way could you enter Class B, then you were amazed they "let you in" and they directed heavy iron around YOU in your put put 152. How cool is that?

Well baby, there are cooler things waiting for you. Do what I suggest to find out. Over.

Just took another look at the description. And saw he has a phone number. Hmmm..... I'll see what I can do. Can't hurt to ask questions and see what happens.

I dint mean to be condescening (calling you "baby"). But if you do follow up I can see only good things for you. My sole aim is to propel you forward. I KNOW there are good things in wait for you. I would say the same of any new pilot.

You may have no idea just how many owners wish to have someone to share a flight.

However, I would be remiss to mention, a comely lady pilot such as yourself would find many more doors open to you.

If that sounds like a violation (taking advantage of) your gender, so be it. To them you may be a lovely passenger with a passion for flight. To you they may become a friend, or at least a 'ride' [that is not to say you would be taking advantage of them] and they would love to have you again.

You, Kimberly, have the door wide open. CA has more airports than any other state. CA also has more pilots than any other state. Other than SoCal guess where the most of the pilots reside? Just think how many aircraft owners reside within a short distance of you. M'gosh, you could backseat an open cockpit WACO and left seat a AF-260 in one afternoon.

You could front seat a L-5 (my old warbird) within an hour driving time of you. And you will learn a vaulable something on every flight. Just...by...showing...up.

I keep hammering on this because it was only a few months ago that you said there were no CA pilots. Arise dear aviator.

Well that's certainly more reasonable. :D

It is my goal, as an aviator, to promote understanding and compromise...

Unless I decide not to. :D

I dint mean to be condescening (calling you "baby"). But if you do follow up I can see only good things for you. My sole aim is to propel you forward. I KNOW there are good things in wait for you. I would say the same of any new pilot.

You may have no idea just how many owners wish to have someone to share a flight.

I know more than one person who has used these methods to hitch a ride literally cross country to Oshkosh - hint, hint - for much less than the cost of getting here commercially. And think of the adventure!

In fact, often we just have beers, in hangars, talking about pilots and flying and all that jazz. I now know pilots at:

Sonoma Skypark
Petaluma
Gnoss
Oakland
Sacramento Executive
Santa Rosa
Palo Alto

And Concord! :mad:

:wink2:

Seal sang "Crazy", and then there was an Alanis Morisette remake, both years before the Gnarls Barkely version (the Seal version many years before).

ah well, okay. I've only ever heard the Gnarls Barkley version before. They are different songs.

Terry Fator the ventriloquist has one of his puppets sing this.... First time I ever heard it.

Last edited:
ah well, okay. I've only ever heard the Gnarls Barkley version before. They are different songs.

The Seal version is typically pretty popular amongst us pilots.

"In a world full of people only some want to fly. Isn't that crazy?"

Back