First real diversion

TheGolfPilot

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Golfpilot
Yesterday morning I made a 7am trip out of Modesto to concord. Weather was reporting 900 overcast and local TAFS were suggesting improvements as the day continued. As began to descend after the FAF the clouds were 600 tops, not 900 overcast, I descended into them and at minimums there wasn't any sign of ground let alone runway. I went missed. On the way up I noticed that the fog was dissipating less than 1/4 mile from the airport. I opted to fly the approach one more time instead of proceed to my alternate. The reason: Vacaville was severe VFR and I could see it. That was also closer to kccr than my filed alternate and better yet, closer to the IAF after I get some gas and come back.
Flew to approach and went missed, as I pushed the power in the airport broke out below me, the decision had already been made and a landing attempt at that point would have been pretty violent.
I stuck with the plan, flew to Vacaville, put some gas in the tank and unloaded my bladder. Flew back to concord in mvfr conditions.

It was the first time I have flown a missed approach with the intention of landing. In practice( which I do a lot!) it's routine but in a real situation it's frustrating and oh how tempting it is to want to go the extra 50 feet... I gave myself a pat on the back for studying the missed approach before the approach as I am supposed to.

It wasn't a bad experience but it was a friendly reminder for me on why I practice what I do. Winter is coming up, and weather can deteriorate quickly. Thought I would share this experience as a friendly reminder to y'all to be prepared!

It was the first time I have flown a missed approach with the intention of landing. In practice( which I do a lot!) it's routine but in a real situation it's frustrating and oh how tempting it is to want to go the extra 50 feet... I gave myself a pat on the back for studying the missed approach before the approach as I am supposed to.

It wasn't a bad experience but it was a friendly reminder for me on why I practice what I do. Winter is coming up, and weather can deteriorate quickly. Thought I would share this experience as a friendly reminder to y'all to be prepared!

Good decision and call. Sometimes ya gotta pull, that is pull the anchor up and go. Y'all thought I was headed for a Cirrus joke huh. :D

Diversions not uncommon at my home base with a 1700 MDA...

The question becomes should we even attempt an approach in actual when the METAR is below the MDA?

Ah, don't worry about it. I kept looking for the "___ failed, limped home" part. :)

Seems like there was a time in my flying when all forecasts were ridiculously conservative.
Now they are more accurate in general, but there is more of this as the curve has shifted.

The question becomes should we even attempt an approach in actual when the METAR is below the MDA?

Probably not if the bases are even and solid. If they are not, opportunities will be missed.

Flew to approach and went missed, as I pushed the power in the airport broke out below me, the decision had already been made and a landing attempt at that point would have been pretty violent.
It's very, very tempting to try and salvage an approach when you get a visual on the field after executing a missed. This is where discipline comes into play. Nice job.

in a real situation it's frustrating and oh how tempting it is to want to go the extra 50 feet
It's very tempting, especially if you're familiar with the field. As you may learn later, you can get disoriented very quickly as you try to transition from the instrument approach to a visual approach and landing.

On more than one occasion, I've been able to see trees and houses below me without issue but wasn't able to see anything out front. You have to fight the demons ("I'm pretty sure I can make it.") when they appear; and they will appear. All it takes is one small tower to ruin your day.

Again, nice job.

Yesterday morning I made a 7am trip out of Modesto to concord. Weather was reporting 900 overcast and local TAFS were suggesting improvements as the day continued. As began to descend after the FAF the clouds were 600 tops, not 900 overcast, I descended into them and at minimums there wasn't any sign of ground let alone runway. I went missed. On the way up I noticed that the fog was dissipating less than 1/4 mile from the airport. I opted to fly the approach one more time instead of proceed to my alternate. The reason: Vacaville was severe VFR and I could see it. That was also closer to kccr than my filed alternate and better yet, closer to the IAF after I get some gas and come back.
I stuck with the plan, flew to Vacaville, put some gas in the tank and unloaded my bladder. Flew back to concord in mvfr conditions.

Good job. I havent had that "peek of the airport just as I start the missed" happen to me, yet. Thanks for the post and a reminder to think about it.

Nothing more frustrating than be at MDA and watch the airport go by underneath the plane while unable to see anything out the front.

Back