First Post - Would appreciate your advice

jamieallen

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
JamieAllen
Hi everyone,

I'm interested in getting my private pilot's license. Have any of you heard of Spectaculairinteractive.com before? I'm busy and it would help to be able to study online. I wanted to see if any of you had experiences with them in the past or have heard of students who have completed their ground school.

Thank you.

Jamie

Nice push poll. Internet learnin' don't work you need to sit on a nasty an old couch that gives you the 'things crawling on me feeling' and absorb aviation through ten year old flying mags and drinking crap burnt coffee.

Jamie, Where in a Utah are you?

I've never heard of them and personally used Sporty's program as well as Rod Machado's Private Pilot book.

Nice push poll. Internet learnin' don't work you need to sit on a nasty an old couch that gives you the 'things crawling on me feeling' and absorb aviation through ten year old flying mags and drinking crap burnt coffee.

Push poll? Just trying to figure out my best option.

Jamie, Where in a Utah are you?

I've never heard of them and personally used Sporty's program as well as Rod Machado's Private Pilot book.

Hi Alan, nice to see a fellow Utahan here. I live in Utah County.

Using Kings online, FAA Airplane Flying Handbook (free pdf online) and Jeppesen textbook. Seems to be working just fine for me.

...your CFI will/should give recommendations on ground school material. Sure, you can waste your time and subscribe/sign-up to every online study joint...but that's your business. I used the Jepp books, Sporty's DVD's and when I was ready pounded through Sporty's Study Buddy to get the questions for the test. With that regime I missed 3 questions.

Jamie, I have not hear of that internet organization before. My recommendation is to first find a CFI who fits your style of learning, take a few flights with them and then ask their opinion of what training materials you should get. Some CFIs and flight schools require certain materials. While a bit dry I'm a very big fan of the King School programs.

Welcome to Pilots of America.

Welcome to PoA.
When I started in 1990, the school had a whole kit of Jepp for the student. At the time, if I recall correctly, it was a required purchase along with the airplane flight manual for C152 (AFM). The next school used what came from the FAA. I bought the AFM separately though they did "encourge" me. My current helicopter school is also using what came from the FAA and suggested I buy my own AFM.
Each place is different and sometimes depends on what type of school (61 or 141) it is.
Good luck with the training. Best is to find a school and an instructor you can work with. Find what they use and follow suit. You can do all your own schooling or take ground from either a scheduled course or your instructor. Your call. Just be prepared for class when the time comes.

I agree with other posters here. Find a CFI you are comfortable with and see what he recommends. I knew my CFI through the local amateur radio club before I knew he was a CFI. He had me get the Jeppesen PP kit (books, E-6B, logbook, flight bag, etc.). I went from there getting more resources. I used the King Schools course for studying for the written (PP and IR). Worked for me, YMMV.

The key thing is to find a CFI you are comfortable with and know what your learning style is.

As noted above, there are free resources on the FAA's web site. Not always the most inspired writing, but the information is correct and generally complete. Did I mention that they're free? :D

Best of luck. Stick around, let us know how things are going and, of course, as questions. You'll get lots of answers and over time you'll learn how to filter those answers so they help, rather than confuse.

Get this free 70-page ebook at www.FreeFlyBook.com. It'll answer just about any question you could have and provides quite a lot of fundamental material you'll need. No sign up, no email needed. Just click and download the .pdf.

YouTube has a lot of videos you can look at. Most of them are samples of the big name courses, sportys, king, etc. I would look around at them and check them out. You can also find some of the books online that you can use. Sample what is out there and see what is best for you. People learn differently, some learn better by reading, some learnt better with visual and audio. So sample those, when you get a cfi listen to what he thinks is good, but in the end do what's best for you.

I'm generally trusting but since I do, after all, hang out in aviation groups a lot, have an inherent suspicion of a group I never heard of billing itself as the "#1 Online Ground School."

Back