First pic of eclipse?

Rushie

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Rushie
Partial anyway. Wasn't gonna do anything but last minute thought WTH. And scrambled with a box, paper, foil, pinhole, then amplify with binoculars. Then the gymnastics to hold my phone and get a pic....

Just the beginning of it.eclipse beginning.jpg

It progresses. Okay I'm not going to spam any more pics. Looking forward to those of you who get the corona. I'm not in the path of totality.

eclipse 2.jpg

We are only at 56% here in Tucson and I think that is enough light for daytime. If God wouldn't turn the sun on at full force and leave it at 56%, he'd save a LOT on energy.

My phone camera can't seem to see the shadow, sun looks like a normal ball in every picture

Supposed to be around 75% coverage, but the clouds are 90% coverage right now. Guess I'll have to wait to see it on the news.

Eclipse-500-PrivateFly-AB1009.jpg

gBNdto4.jpg

2012_mitsubishi_eclipse_angularrear.jpg

d35c131c-b30e-467b-9c13-a9b23907f966.jpg._CB334214811_.jpg

My phone wouldn't capture it but it was pretty cool, way more so than I expected.

This is the last one I took before the clouds obscured it completely and just before it got to max coverage, and the first one I could take afterward.

DSCN3208.JPG DSCN3209.JPG

Just got back from a flight into the area of totality with a GoPro mounted outside. No pictures of the sun, but hope it will clearly show the dramatic increase in darkness. Without panel lights, couldn't have seen the instruments. We were at 8500 feet and could clearly see other stars/planets, the sun's corona, and the diamond ring at the end. It was incredible. I don't think it would have been nearly as cool from the ground.

Just got back from a flight into the area of totality with a GoPro mounted outside. No pictures of the sun, but hope it will clearly show the dramatic increase in darkness. Without panel lights, couldn't have seen the instruments. We were at 8500 feet and could clearly see other stars/planets, the sun's corona, and the diamond ring at the end. It was incredible. I don't think it would have been nearly as cool from the ground.
:needpics:

It got dark and cicadas thought it was evening and started screeching thought the shadows on the ground looked cool as the eclipse passed.

Attachments

• 20170821_143750.jpg
    20170821_143750.jpg
    222.6 KB · Views: 25
Well, the clouds just left where I live. Will there be a do over..??

So much for our wimpy little 63 percenter here in PHX.

I drove 20 miles out to the hangar this morning, intending to get some airborne pix of the local desert scenery in the muted eclipse light. But a flat nose strut oleo had other ideas. :sigh:

I got the airplane to a mechanic and high-tailed it back home, and hauled my camera gear up to the 15th floor rooftop of our condo building. There was a buttermilk-sky kind of broken cloud layer, which turned out to give some interest to what would otherwise have been boring photos.

It got dark and cicadas thought it was evening and started screeching thought the shadows on the ground looked cool as the eclipse passed.
You saw shadow snakes! That's the best part apparently, and Bailey's beads. Here at 60 percent in Phoenix it was the lamest eclipse I've seen in my life.

Thanks so much @FastEddieB for the invite to your airstrip! Definitely made me and my mom's bday that much more special.

Seeing the eclipse in full totality was incredible... even cooler than I had imaged. The confused rooster crowing as the sun began to peek back out made for a funny conclusion!

IMG_20170821_155243.jpg

IMG_20170821_150519.jpg

IMG_20170821_152309.jpg

IMG_20170821_152932.jpg

Eclipse shadows

IMG_20170821_153443.jpg

I jumped on a friend's boat and cruised an hour and fifteen up the river, about 2min it totallity where we where. It was awesome, the corona was cool, and the kids had a great time. Neither his wife nor mine could skip out on work, so just dads and kids. Excellent day!

IMG_0802.JPG IMG_0807.JPG IMG_0804.JPG IMG_0812.JPG IMG_0813.JPG

IMG_0890.JPG Here is an interesting shot from midtown Manhattan. I just pointed the Iphone at the sun
and you can see the bright blob that is the result. But wait! There's more! Look at the little green artifact at about 10 o'clock.

Attachments

• IMG_0890.JPG
    IMG_0890.JPG
    72.4 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
View attachment 55764 Here is an interesting shot from midtown Manhattan. I just pointed the Iphone at the sun
and you can see the bright blob that is the result. But wait! There's more! Look at the little green artifact at about 10 o'clock.
I saw a UFO at about 6 a.m. or 5 and 1/2 hours before the eclipse. It went directly overhead and had white, red, and green lights.

Couldn't read the N number so it remained unidentified.

Back