First Passenger As A Private Pilot (Or Lack Thereof)

Nice thread resurrection.

Well this is a serious concern. Here in college I have had at least 10 people say for sure they will fly with me. This thread makes me concerned if anyone will actually fly with me. Hopefully I pass my PPL checkride on Saturday.

Well this is a serious concern. Here in college I have had at least 10 people say for sure they will fly with me. This thread makes me concerned if anyone will actually fly with me. Hopefully I pass my PPL checkride on Saturday.

I believe he was being genuine. My buddy went with me the day I got my ticket, and I flew across the country and took my dad for a ride. When I used to fly local flights in SoCal I always had people bumming rides to log some multi, or friends going with to Big Bear or have Dinner at Masa's in SF where a buddy was a chef.

But the vast majority of my hours have been solo long haul utility flying or transporting myself across the country. I did a major low level survey contract with my Travelair all through the mountain west and some even east. Did a lot of hours of pipeline in a PA 12. Not one of my friends outside aviation have gotten into it, but they all enjoy going up with me when I come by in a plane.

I think whole "10 people who say they will fly with me" is more of a show of support. The moment you show them your cert, some will back down. Don't drag anyone aboard the plane. I took a friend or 2 on a ride and they loved it. And since people talk, I have people coming out of woodwork asking for a ride. Facebook helps. Post things like "Going to go on a nice flight over XYZ. Any takers?"

So the fact is, I passed my checkride in April, and so far there was not even one time that I flew alone. And I was in the same category, thinking that I won't have a lot of people who would go flying with me.

I've had a few friends that said they would go up with me but always had an excuse for not going. I've also had eight different non-pilots go up with me in the eight months I've had my ticket, and every single one of them loved it. A few have gone on multiple flights with me, and the others seem very enthusiastic about going again.

Look at it this way, the people that chickened out might have freaked out in the air if they decided to fight their fears and go for it. That's not something I'd want to deal with, even with the option of the ISO switch.

I've had a few friends that said they would go up with me but always had an excuse for not going. I've also had eight different non-pilots go up with me in the eight months I've had my ticket, and every single one of them loved it. A few have gone on multiple flights with me, and the others seem very enthusiastic about going again.

Look at it this way, the people that chickened out might have freaked out in the air if they decided to fight their fears and go for it. That's not something I'd want to deal with, even with the option of the ISO switch.

What's an ISO switch?

I didn't read the whole thread. Did they survive?

I don't think any 1978 Cessna has its original panel. Some replacements are better than others. I've seen several different kinds.

I don't think any 1978 Cessna has its original panel. Some replacements are better than others. I've seen several different kinds.

My other flight school has C172R and C172SP from 1999 and 2001. Do those planes have it?

I think whole "10 people who say they will fly with me" is more of a show of support. The moment you show them your cert, some will back down. Don't drag anyone aboard the plane. I took a friend or 2 on a ride and they loved it. And since people talk, I have people coming out of woodwork asking for a ride. Facebook helps. Post things like "Going to go on a nice flight over XYZ. Any takers?"

So the fact is, I passed my checkride in April, and so far there was not even one time that I flew alone. And I was in the same category, thinking that I won't have a lot of people who would go flying with me.

So you and I are in the same boat.

Facebook did help one of my friends but he still hasn't shown up at my airport. I don't think he has a car but once he saw everyone saying they'd gone with me (and not died) he started to reply "I wanna go now too!"

The planes I rent are 1999, 2002, and 2003 C172SP's and they all have intercoms with ISO switches.

You are lucky.

Mine are:

1974 - none (150)
1980 - none (172N)

However I doubt an SP is $80 per hour wet so I can't complain about mine!

What plane do you fly that has this?

Mine has it, most latest generation audio panels will have isolation options for PIC & SIC ISO either combined or split on frequencies.
I can give all my pax some low music they can talk over while I'm on with ATC.

Even without an ISO switch, almost all have an emergency feature where they directly connect Com 1 to only the left side headset when the intercom is turned off. Works just as well as ISO if you limit yourself to one radio. Read the POH. ;)

Prices (member):

150 (with yoke mount garmin) - $80

172N (with Garmin 430 in panel) - $98

Piper Archer II (I've been told, same price as 172) PA 128-181

(never flown the Piper)

2007 Cessna 172SP full G1000 package and lots of cool features - $155

Whats the hold up ma'am...... Try the Piper....:dunno::yes:

If it costs the same as the 172 and also has 180hp then I just might. My friend owns it so I could go up with him once he is done with his cert. He keeps asking me to get checked out in it. I don't like the 1 door thing and the no window open thing (we do flour bombing remember).

However, at my coast guard thing last week they said low wings ditch better in water since they tend to float and you can get out. High wings you have to wait for them to fill up with water. Yikes.

Pipers are also much easier to handle on the ground, and to see ahead of turns in the pattern.

An Archer has 180 HP, but they usually cost a bit more than the cheapest 172s. They also have > 2500 lb max gross and a similar empty weight to a 172, so carrying four adults is a possibility. If you believe the POH, it will do 135 KTAS at 8000 feet, significantly faster than a 172. They are more stable on heading, and easier to land softly due to having oleo struts on all three wheels. The drawback is the fuel management. And the impossibility of taking a photo without a wingtip in it.

You can open that door in flight if you really want to, but the low wing will be in the way of your flour bombing. For ventilation, most PA28s have actual vent blowers, or you can leave the door open until ready for takeoff, like Cessna drivers do with the windows.

There is no reason you can't switch back to the 172 or 152 for the flour bombing. They don't fly all that differently. I try to keep current in both. Cessnas are better for sightseeing, and slightly better performing at high altitude (above 10,000 feet) with a 180 HP engine. And preflight is much more comfy in the rain, and tiedowns easier.

The direct competitor to a 172 is a Piper Warrior (PA28-161). Those cost virtually the same.

Honestly, if you try one of these, you'll start to question why you spent so much time in the Cessna.

Last edited:
...or you can leave the door open until ready for takeoff, like Cessna drivers do with the windows.

Heck, below published speeds, we just leave 'em open in flight too.

Probably a good idea to give the mechanism a good inspection for loose stuff prior to doing that, though. I believe Mr. White found out how much the #^*+^%^ window latch costs to replace these days in White Lightning.

With positive pressure inside the cabin (vents open in flight) it can sometimes be a struggle to get the darn thing closed without worrying you're going to rip that 1970s era triangle vent window handle straight out of the best technology Detroit had to offer, right off the window frame.

Pipers are also much easier to handle on the ground, and to see ahead of turns in the pattern.

An Archer has 180 HP, but they usually cost a bit more than the cheapest 172s. They also have > 2500 lb max gross and a similar empty weight to a 172, so carrying four adults is a possibility. If you believe the POH, it will do 135 KTAS at 8000 feet, significantly faster than a 172. They are more stable on heading, and easier to land softly due to having oleo struts on all three wheels. The drawback is the fuel management. And the impossibility of taking a photo without a wingtip in it.

You can open that door in flight if you really want to, but the low wing will be in the way of your flour bombing. For ventilation, most PA28s have actual vent blowers, or you can leave the door open until ready for takeoff, like Cessna drivers do with the windows.

There is no reason you can't switch back to the 172 or 152 for the flour bombing. They don't fly all that differently. I try to keep current in both. Cessnas are better for sightseeing, and slightly better performing at high altitude (above 10,000 feet) with a 180 HP engine. And preflight is much more comfy in the rain, and tiedowns easier.

The direct competitor to a 172 is a Piper Warrior (PA28-161). Those cost virtually the same.

Honestly, if you try one of these, you'll start to question why you spent so much time in the Cessna.

A Piper Archer will NOT do 135KTAS. not even close.

No, I've been told that even if you crack the doors the pressure will be too great for you to get out (depending on when you start pushing on the door). This means you should have a knife in case it is hard to get out of your seatbelt. Or one of those seatbelt cutters.

No, I've been told that even if you crack the doors the pressure will be too great for you to get out (depending on when you start pushing on the door). This means you should have a knife in case it is hard to get out of your seatbelt. Or one of those seatbelt cutters.

Hmmm.. I was taught in a crash of any kind you :

1- get off a mayday
2- turn off the master
3- turn off the fuel
4- open the doors, so they don't get jammed closed during impact.
5. fly the plane as far into the crash as you can.
6- get yourself and all other occcupants out and clear of the wreckage.
7. find the closest bar and order the stiffest drink they offer.
8- start walking home.

1- get off a mayday
2- turn off the master
3- turn off the fuel
7. find the closest bar and order the stiffest drink they offer.
8- start walking home.

I wasn't taught this one. Is this in the POH for the C172N?

1- get off a mayday
2- turn off the master
3- turn off the fuel
7. find the closest bar and order Jeremiah Weed
8- start walking home.

FTFY. :)

Back