First Passenger As A Private Pilot (Or Lack Thereof)

Perhaps your one of those awkward gangly girls who always appears to be somewhat clumsy, so people are just afraid to fly with you?

Seriously, my brother flat out refused to fly with me, he admits that he is scared to death of small airplanes. I took one of my sons friends for a hamburger run, he was leaning on me to do it, was all excited. Once he got in the cockpit, his enthusiasm dissipated rapidly. After take off, he was downright quite, unlike him at all.

After lunch, I made a big production out of my pre-flight, like it was the first flight of the day instead of my usual walk around and oil check. He did get back in the plane for the flight home. Never asked to go flying again, this was after two truly remarkable greasers on my part.

My son always seemed to have an excuse. Now that my plane is sold, he is grumping about me never taking him flying.

The girl that worked for me went up a bunch of times, she really seemed to enjoy it. I heard her telling a friend that I was a terrible driver, she hated driving with me, but said I was a great pilot and would fly with me anytime.

That made my day.

-John

No, I've been told that even if you crack the doors the pressure will be too great for you to get out (depending on when you start pushing on the door). This means you should have a knife in case it is hard to get out of your seatbelt. Or one of those seatbelt cutters.

The pressure thing does not matter if doors are open or closed. The idea here is that if airframe is bent during ditching or forced/crash landing, you will be trapped. So door must be unlocked and open.

The pressure thing in water ditching does come into play. But it does not matter if doors are open or closed. Due to pressure difference, if you are already submerged, you won't be able to open the doors until aircraft cabin is filled with water. This way, pressure will equalize and you will be able to get the door opened. Same thing applies to cars. If doors are open, the water will get in faster, allowing you to escape faster.

Last edited:
Back