First motorcycle ride

While I don't know that it's universally true, many states allow crossing a solid yellow line to make a left turn onto of off of a road. This is definietly true in MN.

Driving In The USA And Canada - Left Turns Other Than At Intersections
The information on this page, although extensively checked and believed to be correct, is completely unofficial and is provided for general guidance purposes only. Introduction

In the USA and Canada vehicles drive on the right, so left turns usually involve crossing the path of oncoming traffic. Left Turns From Roads Into Driveways

On "fast food alleys", where numerous businesses each have their own parking lots, each with separate entrances and exits, it can be very difficult to judge where to turn left. In some towns the left turn lanes are separated from other lanes by concrete barriers, with gaps where vehicles can enter them. This is presumably a safety measure to avoid vehicles entering or leaving the left turn lanes suddenly. Judging which entrance to take can be difficult and a mistake is awkward to correct. If you do make a mistake then you must always continue on and never reverse in order to enter or leave such a lane.

Left Turns From Driveways Onto Roads

In the USA and Canada the parking lots (car parks) of many businesses such as gas stations (petrol stations), restaurants, shops and motels each have several entrances and exits. If you are leaving such a parking lot and will be turning left, it is always well worth taking a good look round for an alternative exit which may be much more convenient. For example, there may be a side or rear exit from the parking lot onto a minor road, which then has an intersection with the road you wish to join. Turning left from the minor road may be safer and easier than doing so directly from the parking lot.

Even better, there may be a side or rear exit onto a minor road which then has an intersection with the road you wish to join which is controlled by traffic lights, making the left turn much safer and easier.

Left Turns Across Double Yellow Lines

It is perfectly legal to make a left turn into or out of a driveway or entrance (for example into or out of a gas station or a car park outside a restaurant or a shop) on a stretch of road where there is a double yellow line. You must of course yield to oncoming traffic. The California Driver Handbook 2002 (external link verified Jul-02) says: "Two solid yellow lines mean 'no passing.' Never drive to the left of these lines. Stay on your side of the road. Exceptions: (1) When turning left at an intersection or into or out of a private road or driveway. (2) When the right half of the road is closed or blocked. (3) Some carpool lanes. Enter and exit at designated places only." (Page 22 - Use of Lanes) and has two clear statements: "You may cross a solid double yellow line to turn left" and: "You may cross a solid double yellow line to turn left. OK to cross double yellow to turn left. Do not cross double yellow to pass another vehicle." (Laws And Rules Of The Road - Road Markings; checked Jul-02).

The Oct-98 printed edition of the Illinois Driver's Manual "Rules Of The Road" says: "Solid yellow lines may be crossed to make a left turn to or from an alley, private road, driveway or street" (Chapter 8: Traffic Signals and Pavement Markings - Pavement Markings - Solid Double Yellow Lines).

The Massachusetts driving manual says: "Do NOT cross a double yellow line unless turning left." (Section 4: Pavement Markings - Yellow Lane Lines - Double Yellow Line: Both Solid; checked Jul-02).

According to the California Driver Handbook 2002 (external link verified Jul-02): "You may make a U-turn across a double yellow line, if the turn can be made safely and legally." (Laws And Rules Of The Road - Turns - Legal U-Turns; checked Jul-02)

By the way, the same rule seems to apply to turning right across double white lines in Britain (Britain drives on the left and uses white lines where yellow lines are used in the USA.) Paragraph 71 of the British Highway Code says: "Where there are double white lines along the road and the line nearer to you is solid, you must not cross or straddle it except when you need to get in and out of premises or a side road..."

lancefisher said:
While I don't know that it's universally true, many states allow crossing a solid yellow line to make a left turn onto of off of a road. This is definietly true in MN.

Appears to be equally true in CA. Wow. My apologies for my obvious error.

lancefisher said:
I suspect that alternately flashing lights a couple feet apart might work a lot better, but that's probably illegal.

I haven't looked at the specifications but there are retrofit kits that will alternate your motorcycle's always on headlight from low-high-low beam while riding. I've seen them on the mountain roads up here and they do stand out quite well over constant on lights. Depending on conditions, you can spot them from 2-5 times the distance of a constant on light. I recall once thinking only one motorcycle was opposite direction traffic, then I realized there were 4 together but only one had a flashing light.

OTOH, I absolutely positively hate cars with auto-on lights like motorcycles have. Cars need those at night since idiots can't seem to turn their lights on when they should, but NOT during the day. All it does during the day is to teach drivers that a light is just another irrelevant background object of no importance which defeats the purpose entirely.

lancefisher said:
Hint: if you want to make it more likely that someone will see you approaching, weave the bike creating motion in the eyes of the other driver.

BTDT lots of times when riding and not sure about the opposite direction hostile's intentions. People riding the line will get back in their lane if you do that. Also my headlight moves with the handlebars which adds a adlibbed flashing light into the situation. Too bad James Bond style motorcycle rockets are illegal.

Let'sgoflying! said:
What are the rules about a double yellow and are they the same in all states?

what about the SUV thinking about turning?)

The SUV's are not thinking at all. Period, end of discussion.

Rules are optional. Laws are optional.
Survival is mandatory. 91.3(a) and (b) apply.

Toby,

If you are thinking of learning to ride a good motorcycle driving class is worth the time. I'm always surprised at the number of folks who ride bikes but don't know the basics like how to stop in the shortest distance and how to steer out of trouble at speed. On the road I see way to many bikers who have positioned themselves in the blind spots of other vehicles. The plethoria of big SUVs on the road today means there is a greater chance that a bike will be obscured from vision.

I don't know if this book is still in print but try to find "Ride and Stay Alive". It is a good book on the basics of riding a bike. I imagine there are other books that are available if this one is not available. Sorry, but it has been a long time I don't know the author.

Always, always, always wear only the best helmet, your head is worth it.

IMHO riding motorcycles is much more dangerious than most types of general aviation flying. I sold my last bike to pay for my instrument rating. It was a great bike, it was a fun bike, it was a fast bike (not fast like today's bikes but fast enough for me). The guy that bought the bike was in an accident on his way home from buying the bike. He was ok but the bike was toast.

Len

I'd never ridden a motorcycle when I bought my first one. I've never figured out how I didn't kill myself on that thing, but I never wrecked it. I learned that having the front tire go flat quite suddenly can be exciting, but doesn't mean you'll wreck. The first day I had it I was going around a curve a little fast and set my foot down for some reason to steady the bike. I bounced of the little cargo box that was behind the seat, got the bike back under control, and wondered why I set my foot down. I was bored one night while riding from Daytona Beach to Boca Raton to visit family, and was weaving between the manhole covers. It had been raining, and I learned that manhole covers are pretty darn slick when they are wet. I think the worst thing I did was fall asleep on I-4 (IIRC) between Deltona and Daytona after my first day of skydiving. All that adeneline going away. The saddest memory I have is of the ride the night before the Space Shuttle blew up. It was so cold I could only ride a couple miles before finding a convenience store and letting the ice melt off of me. I couldn't believe they launched the next day.

By the time I sold the bike, I'd learned lots of things I shouldn't do on a motorcycle. I'd like another now, but I'm not allowed. I wish I were still a man, but I'm married instead :rofl:

Len Lanetti said:
If you are thinking of learning to ride a good motorcycle driving class is worth the time.

MSF rider course is a good basic course. After 6 months on the road, go back for the experienced rider course. After a year or so, go take a good school. Keith Code, Reg or Jason Pridmore, California Superbike, Freddie Spensor, or similar. Get our on the track and REALLY learn what a bike can do.

I don't know if this book is still in print but try to find "Ride and Stay Alive". It is a good book on the basics of riding a bike. I imagine there are other books that are available if this one is not available.

David Hough's Proficient Motorcycling is an excellent street survival manual.

http://www.soundrider.com/archive/safety-skills/proficient_motorcycling.htm

I sold my last bike to pay for my instrument rating.

I had three bikes. I sold one last spring to pay for my private. I just sold another this spring to pay for my instrument. The last one is a keeper, though.

Bill Jennings said:
The last one is a keeper, though.

Bill,

At the time I was either working, sleeping or at the airport (not necessarily in that order). I was hardly riding at all and needed the money to finish up my instrument rating. I really liked that bike (Yamaha RZ350, water cooled descendent of the RD350 and RD400) and although I'd love to have that bike today I think I made the right choice.

Len

Len Lanetti said:
Always, always, always wear only the best helmet, your head is worth it.

Len

Agree with you on that! I may not have a whole lot up there, but I kinda like it. When we got the Rebels, I went out and spent a chunk of change on a full face Shoei, a Joe Rocket padded jacket and pants, and a couple pair of gloves. PITA to put on/take off, messes up the hair, gets too hot, etc etc. But I would rather deal with the hassle than leave skin all over the pavement. Took the MSF 'beginner' class before I even rode the bike. Now have over 2000 miles on the Rebel. I ALMOST bought that new Triumph last night, but I decided that with only 2K on the little 250cc bike I have no business getting a 900cc one just yet. I've decided to get at least another 3K on the Rebel and then take the MSF 'advanced' rider course. THEN I will get the bigger bike.

Besides, in about 4 months the 2006 models will be out, and I can take my pick, instead of the two 'leftover' 2005's.

Helmets. Very simple subject.

Limited sample survey from the late 1960/early 1970s...

I knew/know 4 people who needed helmets while riding. 3 wore them and are alive today. One did not and died at the scene. All accidents were due to the misdeeds of the car driver. 100% correlation between helmet use and survival. Oh, and my wife and I are 2 of the 3 who had helmets. That was 31 years ago and we still suffer from other injuries, but we're alive. And, although some might differ, all together in sound mind. Now, the orthopedic surgeon who put us back together kept referring to them as "murder cycles". I don't think he liked them. My wife never rode again, but I got the bike put back together and rode another year or so until we graduated from college. Sold it and have been on a bike about 3 times since then, and the last time was over 20 years ago. They are fun, but watch out. All those idiots on the road are out to get you!

Motorcycles are fun, but I'll stick with flying.

Back