First motorcycle ride

Toby

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
Toby Speed
OMG! Now I know why you motorcycle riders love this. I had my first ride today, after flying twice. :) Totally amazing and addictive. It's a lot like flying, only with traffic lights.

Toby said:
It's a lot like flying, only with traffic lights.

And traffic cops with radar, idiots that can't seem to see motorcycles, and the occasional a$$ol who will go after you for riding (god knows why).

They are fun and even though the risk is often equated to flying, on a bike you are at the mercy of too many others IMO. Add to this that the typical cop just doesn't seem to understand that an occasional full throttle blast to somewhere well above the posted limit is completely necessary and that fun can cost some serious bux.

It's a lot like flying, only with traffic lights.
Aaand lots of people trying to kill you! Welcome to the assylum :D (....needs to head for the garage and wrench on the Sportster.......)

Edit: Oh, we're doing pics? B)

Last edited:
lancefisher said:
And traffic cops with radar, idiots that can't seem to see motorcycles, and the occasional a$$ol who will go after you for riding (god knows why).

Yep. When they actively come after you, you should be allowed to use deadly force, heck, they are...

lancefisher said:
They are fun and even though the risk is often equated to flying, on a bike you are at the mercy of too many others IMO. Add to this that the typical cop just doesn't seem to understand that an occasional full throttle blast to somewhere well above the posted limit is completely necessary and that fun can cost some serious bux.

What Lance said. In the interest of safety, my motorcycle is now restricted to uninhabited areas and state/national parks cautiously in the off season. I won't ride it on the roads anymore.

Speaking of which, I really need to get my act together and finish repairing the vandalism issues on mine and get it running again for when I move. It's been pickled for 5 years now since I can't do anything with it without some hooligan trying to tear it up.

Toby said:
OMG! Now I know why you motorcycle riders love this. I had my first ride today, after flying twice. :) Totally amazing and addictive. It's a lot like flying, only with traffic lights.

Woohoo!! I knew we thought alike.

I took lessons a couple of years ago and had the +M added to my driver's license :D

You GO, girl!

Carol said:

I took lessons a couple of years ago and had the +M added to my driver's license :D

You GO, girl!

Carol is a MC momma? Way cool. Are you just on a quest to get
checked out in anything with a motor?

Do you have a bike? You need to go pay a visit to the Harley dealer. I
just bought another Sportster about 3 months ago. Hadn't had one
for a few years. They are way fun. Except now I'm starting to think
maybe next year I need to trade it for one with a bigger motor.

;-)

RogerT said:
Carol is a MC momma? Way cool. Are you just on a quest to get
checked out in anything with a motor?

Do you have a bike? You need to go pay a visit to the Harley dealer. I
just bought another Sportster about 3 months ago. Hadn't had one
for a few years. They are way fun. Except now I'm starting to think
maybe next year I need to trade it for one with a bigger motor.

;-)

Oooo, Sportster! :yes:

I want one real bad but currently my vote is being overruled. I want a BMW bike. Very, very nice.

I rented a scooter when I was in Key West to putter around the island. What a hoot. What a site! Middle-aged broad motoring around on a putt-putt bike. :rofl:

Toby said:
Yep Toby, bikes are cool (I still own a BMW 750 that I bought new in Munich in 1972).

But helicopters are even cooler! :happydance:

Pete and I are having sooo much fun on our little Honda Rebels. Took a 550 mile 'tour' of SE Washington last weekend, yesterday we went up to see Grand Coulee Dam. We've put over 2700 miles on each of bikes since we bought them about 6 weeks ago. Besides, they are great little commute bikes, his gets an average of 92 mpg and mine averages about 85 mpg.

And we liked them so much, Pete bought a new Triumph Bonneville America last week, and I am about thiiiiisssss close to picking up a Triumph Speedmaster. (I wanted an America, but there ain't a one left within 1000 miles, and no new ones coming in till the 2006 model.) I think I will be driving it on Wednesday. We'll see if I come to my senses before then.

Sorry RT, we had thought about getting a pair of HD Sportsters, but half the motorcycles in town are HD's and the other half try too hard to look like them. I like the Triumphs because they stand out from the crowd. And they cost less, they get better mileage and the accessories are a lot less expensive. $900.00 for the saddle bags that go with the new Softail Deluxe. No thanks!!

Tbone, is that a second gas tank under the seat?

T Bone said:
Aaand lots of people trying to kill you!

Toby, if you ride, ALWAYS assume the other person is driving this:
(P.S. It did have a current license plate on the back when I took the picture)

Frank Carson said:
Tbone, is that a second gas tank under the seat?
Nope, oil tank. Circulates via gravity, pump and crankcase pressure through the engine and back to the tank. With only 2.2 gallons, I sure could use one though!

Toby, if you ride, ALWAYS assume the other person is driving this:
:yes: Good advice! They never see you, even when they see you! Eye contact is irrelevant, and the perception of it can get you killed. Enough accelleration available to get quickly out of someones way is a great idea (much performance work done to the Sporty). Good brakes are also a must (straight line, dry smooth pavement the ratio is aprox. 70% front for best stopping distance).
Note you see no mufflers on the little beast. I noticed about an 80% drop in people trying to kill me when I swithched from a tuned performance exhaust to straight pipes. So far, (9 years) no problems with the police. Some may understand, loud pipes save lives!

Toby said:

And a person at you 5 oclock that wants to kill you. Motorcycles require much more vigilance than flying. Always assume you are invisible, not invincable. That said, motorcycles are not only a lot of fun, they are very practicle for commutting in cities. For a street bike though, I don't get anything smaller than 1000cc. When that guy just decided to change lanes into a spot I am occupying, I just want to twist the throttle and be past the cars in front of me before he can close that last 12 inches. Less than a liter bike, and I have to downshift for that performance.

Have fun and be safe, you CAN do both, you just have to think right.

lancefisher said:
and the occasional a$$ol who will go after you for riding (god knows why).

Yep! Had to lay mine down Friday night because of that.

T Bone said:
Nope, oil tank. Circulates via gravity, pump and crankcase pressure through the engine and back to the tank. With only 2.2 gallons, I sure could use one though!

Ah ok. I guess I'm not around enough other motorcycles enough to be thinking oil tanks.

2.2 gallons? That's gotta hurt. It's been about 5 years since I rode mine but IIRC I have 3.2ish useable before reserves.

T Bone said:
:yes: Good advice! They never see you, even when they see you! Eye contact is irrelevant, and the perception of it can get you killed. Enough accelleration available to get quickly out of someones way is a great idea (much performance work done to the Sporty). Good brakes are also a must (straight line, dry smooth pavement the ratio is aprox. 70% front for best stopping distance).

I think drivers aren't looking for other vehicles at all. I think they're looking for openings in traffic. Anything that is not a car or truck is an opening. You could put a whale in the road and it would be considered an opening to drive into. I ignore all the normal indications of hostile movement and watch the front wheel of vehicles. That's what will really tell you what's going on. If it's not stationary, I go into emergency procedures immediately. You're not paranoid if you think they're all out to get you because they really are out to get you.

No mufflers are LOUD. I have no idea how people ride on them without going deaf. I've been beside and in front of a few on the road. I won't ride behind one at all. Ear plugs and helmet and those things are still deafening when near them. Is it quieter sitting on the seat?

Maintenance...I take care of mine mine like you would an airplane. Including preflights before I get on even if it's just a stop at the gas station.

Frank's right. Nothing helps. Not daytime running lights, not horns, not straight pipes, not sirens and flashing lights, NOTHING. People are looking for a hole and while they don't believe it, they need a lot more room unless they pull out with the peddle to the floor. And those 4 bangers out there (of which are most of the latest hotrods) just don't move fast enough.
I'm safer flying.

DeeG said:
Pete and I are having sooo much fun on our little Honda Rebels. Took a 550 mile 'tour' of SE Washington last weekend

Boy ... your backs are better than mine. 550 miles is a long way on
one. The Rebels are nice little bikes though.

The HD stuff does seem to have a premium price on it. There are
aftermarket bags and stuff available though. The last time I had a
street bike I had a Harley though .. so just decided to get
another one.

RT

T Bone said:
Aaand lots of people trying to kill you!
What a great thread this is turning out to be. Wow, I never knew so many of you liked to ride. In a way, I'm glad I tried it. In another way -- something new to think about and wish for!

A few of you wrote about people trying to kill you, and I think Frank mentioned riding only in less populated areas. In the less than half an hour I was riding, we had a really scary experience. An SUV ahead of us slowed down suddenly and made as if to turn right into a side road. We veered left, just over the double yellow line, to pass him. Then he angled to his left, as if he'd decided to turn left, but he didn't turn, just crawled along. We were forced way over onto the left side of the road to avoid hitting him. Of course, there was oncoming traffic not far ahead. We had to zoom ahead and get back into the right lane ahead of him.

Too many cars out here! Even so, it was a lot of fun.

DeeG said:
Pete and I are having sooo much fun on our little Honda Rebels. Took a 550 mile 'tour' of SE Washington last weekend, yesterday we went up to see Grand Coulee Dam. We've put over 2700 miles on each of bikes since we bought them about 6 weeks ago.
Dee, you two are a pair of adventurers. That's great!

Carol said:

You GO, girl!
Yeah, Carol! I had no idea you did this! How many lessons do you need, and do you have to take a road test? (I am NOT doing it, just curious.)

Toby said:
Yeah, Carol! I had no idea you did this! How many lessons do you need, and do you have to take a road test? (I am NOT doing it, just curious.)

The real answer: I'm not sure about other places but here in Colorado, all you have to do is show up, take the written test (what a sick joke "which way do you turn the handlebars when parking facing down hill" sheesh) then not run over some cones in a parking lot and you're done. Ride around until you can handle it going very slow and turn kind of tight and you're ready. Takes about 9 hours to do. 4 minute written, 5 minute practical, the rest of the time sitting there waiting for them to get their act together. I bought mine from someone on a friday, rode around a little over the weekend and took the test cold on monday. (I did have about 200 miles of previous experience years before so that probably helped) They didn't even ask how I got the motorcycle 5 miles from home to the DMV. (hint: it was NOT legal)

The sensible answer: Get the piece of paper then go out and learn what controls do in an empty parking lot and get comfortable. THEN get on light traffic roads and work your skill level up over time. A motorcycle course would be a real good idea if you're zero time in type.

Dang. I have GOT to get my act together and get the motorcycle running again. This thread makes me want to go ride right now.

Last edited:
Toby said:

I took a rider course given by the Motorcycle Safety Foundation.
http://www.msf-usa.org/
Both days of one weekend. The bikes were supplied by local dealers. At the conclusion there is a "written" and a "checkride." On successful completion the applicant can go to the DOT and take the "written" there (in SC it's on a computer screen) and may (at the discretion of the examiner) be exempted from the DOT checkride. The volunteers teaching the course did say that it is kind of hard to take a motorcycle checkride if you drove a car to the DOT. (hint, hint)

It rained all weekend when I took the course. The teacher I had said if we could pass a checkride under those conditions we could easily pass anything the DOT threw at us.

Last edited:
When I started to learn to fly last year, I would ride my bike(1996 Buell Cyclone) to the airport. I was amazed at the number of pilots that take a look and tell me how dangerous they thought it was. My CFI says that he would like a bike but his wife wouldn't let him. Seems odd considering she apparently has no problems with taking idiots like me in an airplane and let them have the controls. Just remember, whenever you ride, keep both eyes open always leave yourself an out.

RogerT said:
Boy ... your backs are better than mine. 550 miles is a long way on
one. The Rebels are nice little bikes though.

We did that trip in about 2 1/2 days. Cashmere to Richland on Friday afternoon. Back roads through the wine country....boy was it pretty! Saturday was Walla Walla, Dayton, Palouse Falls, then spend the night in Ritzville. Sunday was Ritzville to home, via Odessa and Soap Lake. About 175-200 each day. Very tolerable with lots of stops. I'm not too crazy about the Rebel seat. Pete likes it, it fits him better than me. I find that if I lean up against the pack I have strapped to the pillion seat, its a little better. I'm going to check the junk yards for a used seat, then take it to a friend that does custom upholstery. He'll make it with that memory foam stuff and it'll fit my behind a lot better than the stock seat. And I'll have him make a lumbar support that I can strap on to the back for the longer rides. Bike looks kind of funny with my yoga mat strapped to it, but that works great for support on the lower back.

The HD stuff does seem to have a premium price on it. There are
aftermarket bags and stuff available though. The last time I had a
street bike I had a Harley though .. so just decided to get
another one.
RT

If your looking for something with a bigger engine than the Sportster, try the Triumph Rocket III. 2294cc, largest production bike around. There's a Cardinal Red one at the local shop, it's comfy, and it fits me real nice. Real pretty too, except for all the drool I left on it. And it doesn't 'feel' like a huge bike. About 18K, though. Too much for my pocket book right now. Maybe when I get the Vibe paid off.......hehehehehe

http://www.triumph.co.uk/usa/263.aspx

Toby said:
In the less than half an hour I was riding, we had a really scary experience. An SUV ahead of us slowed down suddenly and made as if to turn right into a side road. We veered left, just over the double yellow line, to pass him. Then he angled to his left, as if he'd decided to turn left, but he didn't turn, just crawled along. We were forced way over onto the left side of the road to avoid hitting him. Of course, there was oncoming traffic not far ahead. We had to zoom ahead and get back into the right lane ahead of him.

Toby, the person directing the motorcycle in this incident is guilty of waaay foolish riding. Anticipating any other vehicle's future actions is a recipe for disaster. The vehicle ahead had the right-of-way. As you saw, assuming the vehicle ahead will complete the turn off is a great way to get squeezed into on coming traffic. It is a bad idea when driving a car or riding a motorcycle. The only thing that changes in such cases when you ride a motorcycle is the penalty. When driving a car the penalty is a dented right front quarter panel, but when riding a motorcycle the penalty usually escalates to sliding on asphalt, a mangled bike and body, or death. Bad idea.

BTW, I ride a Honda VFR800FI.

Welcome to the new thrills available. If you use the common sense that you were taught when learning to fly (clear the area and rubberneck) you should have many good rides. I have been riding longer than I have been flying which is 45 years. Leaving on June 6 with five other riders for a Missouri, Tennessee, Kentucky ride, will cover about 2000 miles. Have fun and remember to clear the area!!!!:yes: :cheerswine:

When I first rode a bike the test was a quick spin around some cones and that was it. You did not even have to have a helmet. My first bike was a Yamaha 305 two stroke and road the heck out of it. Got it when I first got out of the service. I got a helmet from from a friend who raced in sport cars. At that time late 1960s helmets were not worn by many. I wore it to keep the bugs and stones out fo my face and hair. Next bike was a Triumph 650 and that was the last one. I found that too many people in cars and pickups where always trying to do bodly harm. I only rode on back roads and stayed off the interstates as much a possible.

I enjoyed riding bikes. I am looking at getting a small bike just to ride on the back roads which are very numerous and traffic free around where I live.

John J

DeeG said:
If your looking for something with a bigger engine than the Sportster, try the Triumph Rocket III.

Oh I don't think so. I was thinking in terms of a bigger Harley. I kind
of have a thing for them.

;-)

Carol said:
I took a rider course given by the Motorcycle Safety Foundation.

I did the same thing a few weeks ago. I'd done it all back in the early
70s .. but hadn't ridden for a few years and for some reason the M got
dropped from my license. Maybe when they computerized all the license
stuff a few years back. I hadn't been riding and never noticed. The
course was a real good review and I'm glad I did it. They just put the
M on your license with no testing when you take the course. Plus
I think the insurance company gives a discount for it.

RT

Toby said:
We veered left, just over the double yellow line, to pass him. Then he angled to his left, as if he'd decided to turn left, but he didn't turn, just crawled along. We were forced way over onto the left side of the road to avoid hitting him. Of course, there was oncoming traffic not far ahead. We had to zoom ahead and get back into the right lane ahead of him.

Sorry Toby .. but I think this is poor riding judgement. I think the safest
thing to do is to just slow down and let them do what they're going to
do. It's just not worth it trying to out guess a car.

RT

Motorcycles.....

absolutely, positively the most dangerous thing I've ever done. Everyone was trying to kill me. Still, I did love the bike.....

Toby,

Motorcycles rock, but as everyone else says, you have to be watching everything at all times. Always have a plan, always have an out, always be ahead of the bike. (bikes can go pretty darned fast, it takes a while for your brain to get ahead of them.)

20 years and over 250,000 miles on two wheels for me, my present ride, an '03 BMW R1150RT sport tourer. These were taken at Deals Gap by the photogs at killboy.com.

silver-eagle said:
Frank's right. Nothing helps. Not daytime running lights, not horns, not straight pipes, not sirens and flashing lights, NOTHING. People are looking for a hole and while they don't believe it, they need a lot more room unless they pull out with the peddle to the floor.

This has to do with the way everybody's brain works. When you are looking for cars (or a space between cars) the subconscious brain is doing something like pattern matching. I'm pretty certain that most drivers wouldn't even notice a large pink elephant in the road when they are looking for "traffic" because it doesn't match the pattern buffer. Bright lights help only because they trigger the motion detectors in your eye/brain channel and the motion=danger mechanism from our prehistoric ancestors kicks in. Unfortunately, when the bike is pretty much coming straight at the car, there is no perceptible motion so that gets missed too. I suspect that alternately flashing lights a couple feet apart might work a lot better, but that's probably illegal.

Hint: if you want to make it more likely that someone will see you approaching, weave the bike creating motion in the eyes of the other driver.

Toby said:
An SUV ahead of us slowed down suddenly and made as if to turn right into a side road. We veered left, just over the double yellow line, to pass him. Then he angled to his left, as if he'd decided to turn left, but he didn't turn, just crawled along. We were forced way over onto the left side of the road to avoid hitting him. Of course, there was oncoming traffic not far ahead. We had to zoom ahead and get back into the right lane ahead of him..

I had about the same thing happen once, but I was driving a car and there was no oncoming traffic. The result was two totaled cars and two busted snowmobiles (the other car had them on a trailer). If I was on a bike I probably would be dead.

lancefisher said:
This has to do with the way everybody's brain works. When you are looking for cars (or a space between cars) the subconscious brain is doing something like pattern matching.

Some time ago I came to virtually the same conclusion Lance stated. My answer, derived without a shred of scientific research, was to place my headlight in a spot the average car driver would expect to find a headlight and therefor their brain would register "car". I consistently ride between the lane center/divider line and the "grease" strip in the middle of the lane. This puts my headlight where a car's headlight would be. So far using this technique for many, many years I've had minimal automobile driver attempts on my life, but one time in stop and go traffic on a two-lane road I did have one lady behind me sneak her car up the fog line along side my bike and then merge into the full traffic lane, forcing me into on-coming traffic. When asked why she did this she replied, "You were off to one side and I didn't know what you were doing." As a result she has a dent in her driver side door where my foot "slipped" while maneuvering to avoid her car.

Originally Posted by Toby
An SUV ahead of us slowed down suddenly and made as if to turn right into a side road. We veered left, just over the double yellow line,

What are the rules about a double yellow and are they the same in all states? The local gendarmes are giving tickets to people who turn left over a double yellow, in order to enter a post office or a business and say you have to get there some other way, you cannot cross a dyl. (I realize Toby had to, as an emergency maneuver but what about the SUV thinking about turning?)

Let'sgoflying! said:
What are the rules about a double yellow and are they the same in all states? The local gendarmes are giving tickets to people who turn left over a double yellow, in order to enter a post office or a business and say you have to get there some other way, you cannot cross a dyl.

AFAIK that move (left turn across a double yellow) is illegal in all 50 states. Certainly has been in my limited sampling (CA, NC, WA, PA). AFIAK, it is also the most universally ignored motor vehicle statute ever created.

Let'sgoflying! said:
What are the rules about a double yellow and are they the same in all states? The local gendarmes are giving tickets to people who turn left over a double yellow, in order to enter a post office or a business and say you have to get there some other way, you cannot cross a dyl. (I realize Toby had to, as an emergency maneuver but what about the SUV thinking about turning?)

Illegal most places, but I've never seen it enforced. I suspect your local cops are either trying to drum up some money for the local budget, or have cleaned up one to many accidents lately and are trying to avoid doing so again.

Ed Guthrie said:
AFAIK that move (left turn across a double yellow) is illegal in all 50 states. Certainly has been in my limited sampling (CA, NC, WA, PA). AFIAK, it is also the most universally ignored motor vehicle statute ever created.

Well, that one plus the one about turning into the correct lane. Would be a tough call here in SC.

Back