First IFR lesson

Triggerhappyjack

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
TriggerHappyJack
Tomorrow is my first lesson toward my IFR rating. Any advise, lessons learned or tips are always appreciated. I am a 67 hour PP with a lot to learn.

RLTW!

67hrs!

I waited till I have 150ish as I recall. Prepair to drink from the fire hose.

Get "everything explained for the professional pilot".

Try to fly in IMC or night, sim in clear blue 22

Get flight sim for your computer at home, doesn't have to be fancy or has awsome graphics, just to practice procedure you were taught.

Always incorporate your OAT into your scan

Don't rely on iPads or automation until you have the fundamentals down (ie after you earn your IFR ticket).

Don't get a huge knee board that uses 20 straps to attach to your leg, a legal pad with a pen on a string works wonders.

Use flows to check everythig, back that up with a quick check list.

Have fun.

How much PIC XC time do you have? Remember dual XC time before you got your ticket doesn't count...

Tomorrow is my first lesson toward my IFR rating. Any advise, lessons learned or tips are always appreciated. I am a 67 hour PP with a lot to learn.

RLTW!

The aircraft can be flown w/needle, ball, and airspeed...altimeter helps but isn't required...remember that...always. Okay, so we have turn coordinators, not needles but the concept is the same, that vacuum driven attitude indicator is just a distraction that will kill you when it gets a chance. Air France 447 would be alive today if they had pushed the nose down to get airspeed (once the ice melted). Don't forget the fundamentals...

Take your instrument training fund and buy a J-3.:yes:

A J-3, that's 0-CPL funding...for a project.

Maybe a cheif ;)

... attitude indicator is just a distraction that will kill you when it gets a chance....

Uhh yeah, not sure about that one, if you dot cross check almost any instrument can kill you I it screws up and you fixate on it.

Ignoring the AI will not lend well to flying bigger stuff.

Get flight sim for your computer at home, doesn't have to be fancy or has awsome graphics, just to practice procedure you were taught.

Practice pratice practice those procedures on a computer or flight training device until you have them down cold. It will save a lot of money and reduce stress in the plane.

Draw eyes on your foggles.

And as said before, have fun.!!

Listen carefully during the preflight ground lesson, then do your best to apply that learning to the flight. OTOH, if there is no preflight ground lesson, apologize to the instructor for wasting his time, walk away without further ado, and find another instructor.

Ignoring the AI will not lend well to flying bigger stuff.

Not really an issue for an instrument student now is it? That flight director won't help when the feces are in the air handler...

The aircraft can be flown w/needle, ball, and airspeed...altimeter helps but isn't required...remember that...always. Okay, so we have turn coordinators, not needles but the concept is the same, that vacuum driven attitude indicator is just a distraction that will kill you when it gets a chance. Air France 447 would be alive today if they had pushed the nose down to get airspeed (once the ice melted). Don't forget the fundamentals...

If the AI is merely a distraction that will kill you, why have one in the first place? The AI is probably the most important instrument for precise and smooth aircraft control and if more pilots knew how to use it properly, I believe the overall quality of instrument pilot when it comes to basic attitude flying would be much better than the average. Fixation,omission, and a lack of a cross check is what will kill you the fastest.

Last edited:
....... The AI is probably the most important instrument for precise and smooth aircraft control ............ Fixation,omission, and a lack of a cross check is what will kill you the fastest.

Yuuuuup!

+1 on getting a sim
Set it up so that you are flying in IMC when you're above minimums . This will make you better. And don't cheat when you are wearing Foggles, easy to do if you're tall enough.

The plane doesn't know it's in IMC. Remember the stick inputs you use in VMC, how they look, how the plane reacts. Those inputs do the same thing to the airplane in IMC.

Pitch controls speed, power controls altitude. Have fun.

You already know how to fly instruments, since you passed your flight test. Now you'll learn how to fly in the IFR system at the same time. Go here (be my guest, it's free) and start thinking like an IFR pilot: www.AvClicks.com .

dtuuri

Beware of the instructor who puts you into instrument approaches right away instead of devoting 4 or 5 hours to learning basic attitude instrument flight. Those hours are boring, but they pay off in the end.

Bob Gardner

Beware of the instructor who puts you into instrument approaches right away instead of devoting 4 or 5 hours to learning basic attitude instrument flight. Those hours are boring, but they pay off in the end.

Bob Gardner

:yes::yeahthat:

Back