First flight over ocean

Star Keeper

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Star Keeper
So weather was good and while the wife wasn't feeling up to it I decided to take a flight from KLEE out to the east coast on Christmas day. I flew to KFIN where I was going to do a touch and go but was informed that the pattern was closed. They were only permitting arrivals and departures. So I decided to pass south of their airspace and drop down to about 700 feet over the water and fly north of KFIN on my way back. I picked up flight following just for the experience going with Orlando Approach and coming back with Jacksonville. Overall a great flight. I think its time to start finding some destinations though. I'm looking at possibly flying to KSPG for dinner with some friends who are going to be in town. This should allow for some night flight on the return trip as well as experiencing FBO interactions for the first time. 21-12-27 09-13-42 0467.jpg

I learned to fly while stationed at Kadena Air Base on Okinawa. Oddly enough, my first flight in a GA aircraft was over the ocean. Really had no choice.

Nice flight! Did you stay south of R-2910 or were you allowed to cut across?

Nice flight! Did you stay south of R-2910 or were you allowed to cut across?
I cut across. Orlando reported all of them closed. I had flight following until departing orlando airspace

I cut across. Orlando reported all of them closed. I had flight following until departing orlando airspace

Nice. I’m planning to fly up to Fernandina sometime in the next few weeks and it’s certainly easier if you can use the MOAs and Restricted areas.

Back