First flight after annual

Morgan3820

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
El Conquistador
My frst annual will be completed this Saturday. I am kinda looking at it as a test flight of sorts. Just myself and maybe the mechanic. What else should I be thinking about? Perhaps a high powered run down the runway, with the towers OK? What do you do after your annual? I have heard of people just get in and fly as normal, with wife and kids but that seems foolish to me. What say ye?

Very thorough pre-flight to find forgotten rags and tools.
Doing a full-power run down the runway is not a bad idea, make sure you get expected rpm.
After the run, shut down, check for leaks.
First takeoff climb over the airport, orbit the field for a couple of laps from a position that allows you to glide home. Ask the tower for it, they wont mind you circling just outside the D if they know about it.

Maintenance induced failure kills.

I'd just do a good run up, then full power run up, then shutdown check for leaks or anything odd, then go for it, keep it over the airport for a bit.

The high speed ground run isn't going to show too much aside from the fact that planes make crappy sports cars, I ether like to taxi, or takeoff, hauling butt on the ground not so much.

I'd just do a good run up, then full power run up, then shutdown check for leaks or anything odd, then go for it, keep it over the airport for a bit.

The high speed ground run isn't going to show too much aside from the fact that planes make crappy sports cars, I ether like to taxi, or takeoff, hauling butt on the ground not so much.

High speed taxi? :eek: :no: I totally agree! OP! Please don't do that in a known airframe. Its a waste of time and dangerous.

Most annuals I have seen done the A&P does an extensive run up and shut down with the cowl off looking for leaks.

Check controls on the ground for full deflection. Look for any "hangups" in the input, and movement in all control surfaces.

Another tip is when you do your runup on the ramp is taxi in a circle to look at the spot where you were just sitting to see if there are leaks.

Last edited:
I'm about to do the same thing in 2 weeks. Long story, but a lot of work done this time (most I asked for, some was unexpected).

Personally, I'm going for a very slow pre-flight reviewing everything that was touched. Since the flight controls were re-rigged, I'll be looking for anything that looks "off" (e.g. turning the yoke to the right should make the right aileron point up - theoretically hard to mess up but ..).

I've also had a quick drain plug installed. I'll likely do one lap in the pattern and head back to the FBO for a look under the cowling.

Interesting thread - good timing for me too. Curious what the A&P on the thread is thinking we should be looking for ...

My frst annual will be completed this Saturday. I am kinda looking at it as a test flight of sorts. Just myself and maybe the mechanic. What else should I be thinking about? Perhaps a high powered run down the runway, with the towers OK? What do you do after your annual? I have heard of people just get in and fly as normal, with wife and kids but that seems foolish to me. What say ye?

99% of the A&P/ IA mechanics will NOT fly in a plane they just worked on....

Just another reason I sold all my certified planes and built an experimental...:rolleyes:

Also.. circling above the airport is not a bad idea either... I spent 80 or so hours orbiting above the Jackson Hole airport... 3000agl got me above the Delta airspace and unless they started launching rockets... I was not in any ones way... Tower was more then happy to help me out..

Another reason was if I had a major failure, the wreckage would fall inside the airport fence line... My usual joke to the local fire/rescue guys here was. " if you have to cut me out of the wreckage with the jaws of life, make damn sure you don't scratch the paint job"..:lol:.....:rofl:....:eek:.

Geico had a great point too... Always do a 180 /360 when at the run up area and look for liquids..:thumbsup:

I just did a post annual flight last week. Pretty much as others have said. Flew around the airport at 2000 for 10 minutes to check things out then flew over to another airport with the intent of landing to check things out. Was doing a practice GPS approach and when I was on a 2 miles final was cleared to land #3. Saw at least one plane turning base to final much closer then I liked and did not see the other plane so decided to abort the landing and just return to base. FDK has effected my thinking.

I am certified to do my own annual condition inspections on my E-LSA Sky Arrow.

1) 3i provided a "Post Annual Checklist" which I follow and then file with my annual paperwork.

2) I stick a GoPro on my cap and record the entire flight. Have not needed it to date, but were something amiss it would be nice to have a record.

Here's one if you're curious, but it's fairly boring.

http://youtu.be/0WF6gT-dj-Q

Which is a GOOD thing, right?

Last edited:
Makes me glad the A&P/IA doing our pre-buy and annual right now is a pilot, CFI, and experimental builder :yes:

Saw at least one plane turning base to final much closer then I liked and did not see the other plane so decided to abort the landing and just return to base. FDK has effected my thinking.

You're not the only one. It had a noticeable effect on everyone in the pattern at FDK and on the controllers.

Great post! My Annual gets done this week as well.

I have not found that at all. In fact, my shop does test flights themselves. I don't let them fly the 310 because they don't fly 310s (or any twins) much and because I don't want anyone else soloing the plane. My last shop didn't regularly do test flights, but would gladly do so or come along if requested.

The thorough pre-flight is the big thing. You should expect major failures on every takeoff and then be surprised when it doesn't happen, so that sort of preparation should be the same as normal.

I always do my maintenance flights solo.
Even after an oil change.
I check to see all my tools are in place before engine start.
I warm her up with the cowl off while checking for leaks and being very careful about the spinning propeller.
If I have done the work I have someone inspect it.
If someone else had done the work I carefully inspect everything they might have touched.
I carefully do or check the paperwork and log book entries.
I do a careful preflight, slow magneto check and any other pre-takeoff tasks on the check list.
I fly closed traffic for at least three laps.
I do a radio and transponder check with the tower.
I do an extensive post flight inspection before I will take passengers.
I have taken the mechanics at our FBO for a ride but only after my maintenance flight.
I work to not become complacent because I have not found anything so far in my post maintenance flights.
I read the latest NTSB reports as part of my preflight so that I don’t become complacent and can recognize the beginning of an accident chain.

Solids are "usually" contained in the underwear...;)
yup....and in this case, if there were liquids leaking there wouldn't be a puddle on the taxiway.....it would have blown down the belly and out the back.

So, I don't believe there'd be anything to see there......:no:

If leaks are really a concern, do a runup....then back taxi, shut down, and inspect for leaks.

My engine out experience came on the first flight after annual. Stay close to the airport for a while.

My engine out experience came on the first flight after annual. Stay close to the airport for a while.
For education and entertainment value, can you tell us about this? What happened, how, and how did you handle it?

Do they not trust their work or do not trust the pilot?:rofl:

I have never seen a mechanic refuse a ride in after working on a plane.

At my company I usually do the "test" flight after a phase inspection or other major work. I always take a mechanic with me. Sort of an unwritten passage that a mechanic will ride in the plane after working on it.

Just my thought though, I probably would not ride in a plane with a private pilot either unless I know that person very well.

I do an owner assisted annual. Do a thorough pre flight and run up. Good to go.

I have not found that to be the case at all. Further, I really wonder why so many owners are paranoid and think that the test of a good annual/mechanic is whether or not they will get in the plane with the owner for a lap around the pattern.

If I had my way, I'd test fly every airplane I work on. There are all sorts of things that the owners neglect to tell you about that should be fixed whether they want them fixed or not. Unfortunately, the list of airplanes I get to test fly is shorter than the ones I don't get to fly.

The thorough pre-flight is the big thing. You should expect major failures on every takeoff and then be surprised when it doesn't happen, so that sort of preparation should be the same as normal.

I agree. I really wonder why people aren't doing a thorough preflight EVERY flight? Post maintenance flights are not the only time bad things happen. With the exception of doing the post maintenance flight solo, every preflight inspection should be the same in my book.

As you should. If you were not involved in the process as an owner assisted annual, you should look in the fuselage and everywhere you can access for tools, flashlights or anything that doesn't belong there. Things can fall into a bad place and jam the controls. Do a THOROUGH preflight and a long taxi before a full run up.

This is a flight that you should approach with the attitude that the plane wants to kill you.

All good advice here. I too do owner-assisted annuals and afterwards perform a full-power run-up (careful what's behind you!), fluid and leak check and then a maiden test flight around the airport before going anywhere. Safety first. Too many mechanic-induced deaths out there.
I wonder why others wonder (in this thread) why mechanics won't get into the airplane after they've worked on it. SELF-PRESERVATION! :lol:

I have a shop at another airport do my maintenance, so the owner flies it to pick me up after annuals or phase inspections. He also does my recurrent training, so he's qualified to fly my planes. :D I've always kidded him about being glad he flies it first! :D

I wonder why others wonder (in this thread) why mechanics won't get into the airplane after they've worked on it. SELF-PRESERVATION! :lol:

Self preservation from having to ride with some pilots. :wink2:

Amen to that. :yes: :yikes:

Care to back up that cute little remark based on FACT....

Don't make me list pilots who crashed because of POOR work -V- pilots who killed mechanics during a test flight... Just for grins.... name just one instance...

Ps.... You will come out on the losing end of that investigation sir..

Right after you provide me with a list of pilots who crashed a perfectly good airplane.

With a mechanic on board for a test flight......

No Problem......

............................................................................................

Your turn sir...:rolleyes:

Sorry Ben. I don't mud wrestle with pigs.

Tell me again how good all pilots are. I'm getting discouraged. :yes: :D

I'd just do a good run up, then full power run up, then shutdown check for leaks or anything odd,

Which is required to be accomplished by the A&P-IA prior to signing off the annual. So why would you?

Back