First family trip... any advice?

drotto

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
drotto
Weather permitting, I will be taking my family on the first a plane makes this weekend practical trip. It will be VFR since I have not gotten IFR rating yet (just over 1/2 way there). I have explained in detail that if the weather for the weekend does not look perfect it may get scrapped. My wife understands (I will not be guilty of get-there-itis), but this trip is the reason I even got her in the plane.

We will be leaving from N87 (Robbinsville, NJ) or KBLM (Monmouth Executive) depending on if I get a chance to move the plane a few days earlier to KLCI (Liconia, NH). According to FF it is a 1 hr 45 minute trip in the PA32R.

So any suggestions, hints, knowledge about that area of NH, and best wishes would be very much appreciated!

Do you have any activities planned? How long are you staying? Will you have access to a vehicle? And when you say family, do you mean kids too (how old)?

Wife has an old friend she has not seen in years who's family has a cabin on the lake up there. So they will be providing room and ground transportation. Kids are 10 and 13. It will just be for the weekend. No activities planned yet.

That's a LONG first flight. I'd suggest no more than an hour total Hobbs. And somewhere both easy and scenic. You're in NJ. How about a flight through the Hudson zone in NYC? Maybe a scenic flight to Cape May?

We have done a few 1 hr or so trips already.

Those 1 hour trips tell the tale as far as the kids go. If you didn't have any problems on those trips, you ought to be fine. In the single engine world, the PA32 is as comfortable as it gets, so the family shouldn't get too claustrophobic. Definitely make the kids use the restroom before you go, whether they need to or not (you can always squeeze a little out). Make sure there is something available to drink, but make sure nobody is drinking too much in flight. I don't know about y'all, but my mouth gets dry when flying, and I need something to wet the whistle, but you don't want to create too much pee. Bring an empty Gatorade bottle or something if one or both of the kids is a boy (they make good emergency pee bottles). Barf bags, just in case. I don't know what the weather is like up there, but I always try to pick an altitude that keeps the cabin cool enough, if possible. My kids don't travel as well when they are sweaty. Sounds like you've briefed the family about weather already, so that's good. I can't think of much else. It doesn't sound like a long trip to me since you've already done some flying together. It might be wise to have an airport in mind, somewhere in the middle, just in case you need to make a pit stop for some reason.

For you, just be sure you keep your head in the flying part, and let mom handle the kids. Your kiddos are old enough that they probably won't be a problem, but I'm used to having a 2 and 4 year old aboard. Usually, my boys do fine in the 182. The 4 year old stares out the window and asks occasional questions, the 2 year old has never stayed awake long enough to see us take off, and the 6 month old has never made a peep. I have had one of them get sick and barf on himself. That's not cool in a spam can, but we were just a few miles from home.

Good luck and have fun! Flying with the family is the best!

Seems like a easy flight, just get a good plan for going over or through NYC. Seems like a easy flight. Have fun!

Those 1 hour trips tell the tale as far as the kids go. If you didn't have any problems on those trips, you ought to be fine. In the single engine world, the PA32 is as comfortable as it gets, so the family shouldn't get too claustrophobic. Definitely make the kids use the restroom before you go, whether they need to or not (you can always squeeze a little out). Make sure there is something available to drink, but make sure nobody is drinking too much in flight. I don't know about y'all, but my mouth gets dry when flying, and I need something to wet the whistle, but you don't want to create too much pee. Bring an empty Gatorade bottle or something if one or both of the kids is a boy (they make good emergency pee bottles). Barf bags, just in case. I don't know what the weather is like up there, but I always try to pick an altitude that keeps the cabin cool enough, if possible. My kids don't travel as well when they are sweaty. Sounds like you've briefed the family about weather already, so that's good. I can't think of much else. It doesn't sound like a long trip to me since you've already done some flying together. It might be wise to have an airport in mind, somewhere in the middle, just in case you need to make a pit stop for some reason.

For you, just be sure you keep your head in the flying part, and let mom handle the kids. Your kiddos are old enough that they probably won't be a problem, but I'm used to having a 2 and 4 year old aboard. Usually, my boys do fine in the 182. The 4 year old stares out the window and asks occasional questions, the 2 year old has never stayed awake long enough to see us take off, and the 6 month old has never made a peep. I have had one of them get sick and barf on himself. That's not cool in a spam can, but we were just a few miles from home.

Good luck and have fun! Flying with the family is the best!

Last trip we took the kids sat in the back a fought with one another exactly as if we had been in a car. They were completely oblivious to the fact that we were flying, and there was a great view outside. My wife was actually able to read a book same as if we were driving (yeah she can do that). There is no lack of decent airports along the route for emergency stops. The Toga is great because the kids each get their own row, and do have room to stretch out a bit. I plan on being at about 7500 feet so should be plenty cool, and we do have AC, but would prefer not to lose the 6 pt 7 knots. :D Bringing an emergency barf bag is a good idea, it has not been a problem, but every once in a great while my son can get sick.

Seems like a easy flight, just get a good plan for going over or through NYC. Seems like a easy flight. Have fun!

I plan on skirting the western edge of the NYC bravo, especially from N87 it is very easy and only adds like 5 minutes to the flight. Another bonus is that once around the Bravo, the flight can be direct. KBLM is a little longer or through the Bravo. ATC has been nice recently, and will usually route you over long Island and Kennedy without much hassle. There are no restricted areas, etc that I need to consider. I will be filing a VFR flight plan and using flight following.

Does the plane have an ICS switch? Familiarize yourself so that you can find and set it without looking. Teach your wife how to turn her headset volume down. Figure out a way to "accidentally" disable the kids' headsets if they start fighting. :)

They say candied ginger candy/cookies/biscuits/ale/beer helps with motion sickness.

iPads!! Keep them occupied. Or maybe an old sectional if they want to follow along the route. At that age, it's just like car travel, only faster!

That's a LONG first flight. I'd suggest no more than an hour total Hobbs. And somewhere both easy and scenic. You're in NJ. How about a flight through the Hudson zone in NYC? Maybe a scenic flight to Cape May?

Oh bullcrap! That's why he has his PPC for God's sake. My first flight after getting my PPC was from McGuire AFB to Montgomery AL in a T-41. Something like 9 hours w/ two fuel stops. Plus I only got lost twice. :) That' an easy flight. Just watch for the mountains.

Last edited:
Uber comes in handy for easy ground transportation.

Weather permitting, I will be taking my family on the first a plane makes this weekend practical trip. It will be VFR since I have not gotten IFR rating yet (just over 1/2 way there). I have explained in detail that if the weather for the weekend does not look perfect it may get scrapped. My wife understands (I will not be guilty of get-there-itis), but this trip is the reason I even got her in the plane.

We will be leaving from N87 (Robbinsville, NJ) or KBLM (Monmouth Executive) depending on if I get a chance to move the plane a few days earlier to KLCI (Liconia, NH). According to FF it is a 1 hr 45 minute trip in the PA32R.

So any suggestions, hints, knowledge about that area of NH, and best wishes would be very much appreciated!
Sounds like a fun trip. Good luck, enjoy the ride. Take lots of pictures!

From the title I thought you were taking a trip with the Obamas.

Have an airport in mind somewhere in the middle of your route in case you need to make an unexpected pit stop. Sounds like you'll have a great trip.

KLCI is a great airport by the way....AWESOME approach over the lake. Once you get past the mountain start your descent as it it in the valley right past it. Your downwind will be parallel the mountain but plenty of room for a normal pattern. Easy airport (I went there on my first solo cross country before getting my PPL)

I have used both FBOs there and they are equally great. I know Emerson has rental cars available.

Plenty to do out in the lakes region out there with hiking, restaurants, boating, etc.

It looks like a great weekend to fly weather wise!

Enjoy, nothing better than using your newly acquired skills to make a trip you normally couldn't have made!

Sounds like an amazing trip, have a good time!

Back