First big trip: 8,000 miles to Cuba

DesertNomad

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
DesertNomad
I am a VFR pilot (now with about 330 hours) based in Reno, NV and bought my Piper Dakota a year ago. I have flown mostly around the local area. The longest trips to date were Portland, OR and Tucson, AZ, and the trip home after buying it in Austin, TX.

Earlier this year, an opportunity arose to fly to Cuba and after making all the legal arrangements, my wife and I departed in early May heading southwest. We decided to make a tour of the country to visit family and friends. Over the course of 6 weeks, we landed at 35 airports (all of them new to me) in 19 states and 2 foreign countries. I think that the 67 hours we flew gave me more experiences than all my other flying combined.

I live out west, so a normal day is 100 miles visibility and sunshine. Once we got to Louisiana, the weather certainly changed and although VFR, there were a lot of things that we just don't see out here in Nevada... I think they are called clouds. ;)

Also, Nevada is fairly devoid of other planes, so I am glad to have ADS-B on the airplane... esp in Florida.

We flew the Dakota to Ft. Lauderdale where we met up with friends from Reno (he's a CFII) who flew there commercially. The four of us went to the Bahamas for one night then positioned ourselves in Key West for the trip to Cuba. Cuba does not allow VFR so although we were in VFR conditions, we were on an IFR flight plan and having a CFII along made this possible. I decided not to wear a hood, since I wanted to see Cuba and I can be under a hood anytime here in Reno.

We spent 4 days in Cuba, landing at both Cienfuegos and Havana... their ATIS plays in Spanish and then English which was interesting to hear. Their landing fees are pretty high at about $350 per airport, but the fuel is cheap ($3.28/gal). Folks in Cuba said that if they lower the fees too much, there will be a flood of Americans and they really don't have the resources to handle lots of traffic. We were the only plane at the airport in Cienfuegos, a city of 150,000 people.

After Cuba, we dropped our friends off in West Palm Beach and continued north on our own.

We were delayed by weather a total of 3 days: 2 at KSGJ (St. Augustine, FL) and one at KEXX (Davidson Co, NC). We would have been delayed 3 more days in the Detroit area, but we were visiting family there so I don't really count that. St. Augustine had very changeable weather and the morning we left it was clear VFR but the tower called it IFR much longer than reality and we finally managed to get going in what they said was MVFR (really very good VFR). We flew down the coast at about 1500' (really beautiful)... the lowest I have ever flown a long distance, before climbing some and turning a bit inland somewhere north of the Space Center.

We tried to keep it in a hangar every night, but it sat outside one night each in the Bahamas and Key West, plus 4 nights in Cuba. Our hangars averaged $50/nt from a low of $10 at KAYS (Waycross, GA) to a high of $85 at KFXE (Ft. Lauderdale, FL).

Best FBO was JPS Aviation in Monroe, LA. They gave us a brand new (only 300 miles on it) Ford Edge SUV crew car and suggested the Waterfront Grill for dinner (highly recommended!). They even washed the windows before we left. Super friendly and we stayed an extra hour and a half just chatting with the nice people there.

Worst FBO was in Ann Arbor, MI - just really indifferent with feathers, eggs and a dead bird on the hangar floor and weeds growing up through their ramp. :( We decided not to leave the plane there but flew 4 minutes over to Willow Run (KYIP) in Ypsilanti.

Best fuel price other than Cuba was KSGJ (St. Augustine, FL) for $3.29 and most expensive was KFTW (Ft. Worth, TX) at $5.74.

Some highlights:

In Florida, Orlando Approach handed us off to NASA Tower so that we could fly down the Space Shuttle Landing Facility runway at 100'. That was very cool indeed!

In Chicago we flew north along the lakeshore, under the Bravo, past what used to be Meigs Field. This trip included my first time in Bravo space: Dallas, New Orleans, Miami, Atlanta, Charlotte, Detroit, Minneapolis, Salt Lake City. We had flight following for the entire trip except a short flight from Waycross, GA to Jekyll Island, GA.

For anyone who has not done a big trip out of their local region, I would highly recommend doing so. It will give you a vast collection of experience. I now have life jackets in my desert-based plane. :)

000_Route.jpg

Note that the points between New Orleans and St. Augustine are just VORs, not places we landed.

Last edited:
Sounds like an absolute blast! Thanks for the write up!

Wow great trip!
Thanks for the post.
Could you post some Cuba photos.

Actually that is inspirational and clearly shows what can be done with careful planning. When I retire in the next 2 years or so, I hope to be able to do much the same.

Thanks for the write up!

Awesome trip. On my bucket list for sure minus maybe the Cuba part.

What kind of speeds and fuel burn do you see in the Dakota ?

For anyone who has not done a big trip out of their local region, I would highly recommend doing so. It will give you a vast collection of experience. I now have life jackets in my desert-based plane. :)

Great write up...BEST trip I ever did was Florida to California in my 182. Learned more in those few days and gained more confidence than any other flying I have ever done.

Wow great trip!
Thanks for the post.
Could you post some Cuba photos.

I'd be happy to post some Cuba pictures. How can I do it so they are just clickable thumbnails on the forum, rather than a bunch of huge photos?

Here is the approach to runway 6 at Havana. And yes, there is an American Airlines plane waiting for us to land. The other planes on the ramp are mostly Cubana.

053_Havana.jpg

Our fuel burn is planned at 12gph. Including ground time, the total burn for the trip was 724.5 gallons in 67.4 hours (10.7gph). I plan for 135kts, but get about 143. Best ground speed in level flight was 172kts and slowest was 88kts.

Last edited:
Awesome trip. I would love to hear about some of you other stops...:yes::yes::yes:

Our fuel burn is planned at 12gph. Including ground time, the total burn for the trip was 724.5 gallons in 67.4 hours (10.7gph). I plan for 135kts, but get about 143. Best ground speed in level flight was 172kts and slowest was 88kts.

143 KTAS in the 235HP version of an Archer II, on 11gph? Pictures or it didn't happen. Stock carbed Comanches barely do 150 on 12gph, with much cleaner airfoil construction. At 14GPH full RPM flogged out, sure I could see 140KTAS on a dakota. No way at 65% power.

BTW, awesome trip. That's one hell of a bucket list item. I was planning on flying my Arrow to PR from TX, but that stupid ATP license, and flying my wife and kid down to SJU commercial this month ate the entire flying budget for such a trip. :(

Congrats on the memories. Sure make this avocation worth it!

Tach time was 55.8, hobbs was 67.4. We burned 724.5 gallons. So 11.6 hours at low power used maybe 3gph (??) totaling 34.8 gallons on the ground, leaving 689.7 in the air. This doesn't really factor in approaches or climbs.

689.7 / 55.8 = 12.3gph. So it depends how much you factor in taxiing around. I generally flew at 5500/6500' east of the Mississippi and 9500-12500 out west. I used 2300rpm and MP to 75% power - WOT at higher altitudes of course.

Last edited:
Not shabby at all for a VFR pilot, plus a visit to my native land? ...my hat's off to you.

Cool trip. How did you get charts for Cuba? No problem just flying in and getting handed off to Cuban ATC?

Cool trip. How did you get charts for Cuba? No problem just flying in and getting handed off to Cuban ATC?

We arranged the landing permits with Caribbean Flying Adventures http://www.caribbeanflyingadventures.com

It looks like they are launching a new website and it is not working as I write this. They got us the permits, plates, etc. we needed. Then I upgraded my GNS530W to an "Americas" subscription that covers Cuba.

The hand-off to Cuba was easy. In Havana they spoke perfect English, but in Cienfuegos it was much weaker. At one point there was confusion over a waypoint. I don't have the chart in front of me but someone in Cienfuegos cleared us to TIPOS which is somewhere in Saskatchewan. We figured that was wrong. :D The correct waypoint is ITPOS which we only figured out when we heard another plane reading it. Both of us heard him read it off but the accent was very thick. The charts and plates are all ICAO and have lots of Spanish on them as well as English. My dad used to fly 747s for United and his Jeppesen charts of foreign places (including the USSR) where much better.

Sounds like an awesome trip! It's funny how we all have different perspectives on what "big" is. I just did my first inter-state cross country and thought that trip was big! :p:p Someday when all the kids are out of the house, I'd love to have my own plane and do something like this.

Very inspiring sir. Longest trip I've taken so far was Tucson to Rockport Texas and back. Learned a LOT on that trip.

t's funny how we all have different perspectives on what "big" is.

One thing I learned on this trip was that even going all the way to Cuba, it is just a series of much shorter flights. Just keep going in the same direction each day and pretty soon you are at the Atlantic Ocean. I got very good at spotting airports and 1-800-WX-BRIEF is now on my favorites page on the phone. :) One of the reasons to buy a plane was trips like this. I can't get an overnight rental around here. We also got good at packing the plane. Several small bags work much better than a few larger ones. We bought a small cooler that sits behind the passenger seat and we have another bag for oxygen bottles (we flew back across Wyoming at 12,500').

It is also a bit easier in the east when you don't have 10,000' mountains everywhere.

Awesome trip..!!! Thanks for the great write up. Was there any GA planes in Cuba?

Awesome trip..!!! Thanks for the great write up. Was there any GA planes in Cuba?

In Cienfuegos we were the only airplane there the whole time.

In Havana we parked next to a Citation and Gulfstream that were both N-registered but I saw no other piston airplanes. When we landed there, an American 737 was holding short of the runway waiting for us to land. Havana tower told him "hold short, landing traffic, Dakota on a two mile final". I am pretty sure he did not expect that. However about a week before we were there, the Comanche Society took 30 airplanes in all at once and nearly overwhelmed their ground operations.

In Cienfuegos we were the only airplane there the whole time.

Thank God they have those high ramp fees to keep GA at bay. Otherwise ALL us Americans would be there. Can you imagine if they lowered their fees and 1 or even maybe TWO additional aircraft had landed there? The horror. LoL =D

Did you always know where you'd be sleeping from day to day? Did you plan ahead for that, or did you just leave it to chance?

Thank God they have those high ramp fees to keep GA at bay. Otherwise ALL us Americans would be there. Can you imagine if they lowered their fees and 1 or even maybe TWO additional aircraft had landed there? The horror. LoL =D

When we landed in Cienfuegos, about 12 people showed up to process us. They brought a set of chocks that would keep an Antonov from rolling away (I think they weighed at least 15 pounds) and no way were they going to work with my wheel pants. We used our own chocks (no tie-down points there).

Between the paperwork for the plane, visas, immigration, customs and currency exchange, it took about 90 minutes to process the four of us inbound... and we were the only ones at the airport. I think that the $350 landing fee is not much in the grand scheme of an 8,000 mile trip and that if they had 3 planes at the same time, you'd be there all afternoon. BTW, there is no fuel in Cienfuegos.

The process to leave Havana was even more involved. The night before, we had to arrange for the fuel truck to come out. Once we all arrived at the airport (at the private terminal), we had to wait for customs and immigration people to show up, then go through immigration/security. After that, two of us (both pilots) walked 1/4 mile out to the plane while the fuel truck followed us at 3mph. Our wives stayed behind with the bags since they were still inspecting them.

While fueling it, they spilled about a half-gallon or more down one wing which they wiped up with towels. After the fueling, they brought over a giant airport bus (the kind they use to move passengers off a 777). The two of us rode in it alone for about 1.5 miles to the international terminal. In a small office there, we filled out the same General Declaration form 4 times (no carbon paper or copy machine). There were more forms for the flight plan as well. We paid the fees, got receipts, then paid for the fuel etc. They drove us back (again 1.5 miles) to where our wives were waiting with the bags. After loading the bags onto a smaller van, they drove us back out to the plane so we could start loading and preflighting. Once the bags were loaded, and preflight complete, the line guys removed the cones around the plane. Keep in mind that there were maybe 7 guys standing around during all this. I have never had such an audience to preflight my plane. :)

We then waited for security to come over to search the plane for stowaways and give us permission to board. I think the whole process took about 2.5 hours.

So I think that they need to make this process smoother before they can lower the fee since this process will not work well with more traffic (as I'm sure the Comanche Society found out).

Did you always know where you'd be sleeping from day to day? Did you plan ahead for that, or did you just leave it to chance?

Our hosts arranged stays with families there. Cuba has a real shortage of hotel rooms... I was told they are booked out until well into 2017.

Last edited:
Great trip, thanks for posting. You mentioned that Caribbean Flying Adventures did your paperwork. What was the procedure like in Key West? Did you get a sense that you needed the "official" paperwork that you weren't just a tourist in Cuba?

Great trip, thanks for posting. You mentioned that Caribbean Flying Adventures did your paperwork. What was the procedure like in Key West? Did you get a sense that you needed the "official" paperwork that you weren't just a tourist in Cuba?

Key West was simple enough. They asked us about cigars and rum (you are allowed $100 combined of these goods) and they asked about what Havana was like. It was not overly detailed but I am sure they "size you up" to determine how much grilling you get. They did not look at my customs sticker.

We had to unload all the bags (and haul them up a flight of stairs) but were allowed to leave the airplane stuff on board (oil, tie-down stuff, sunshades etc). Of course we had to do the normal blue & white US customs form. It was all pretty normal.

The whole trip, we had plenty of paperwork, but it was fairly random what got looked at.

Last edited:
Great report. On my list! So for someone who doesn't speak Spanish are there any issues?

Great report. On my list! So for someone who doesn't speak Spanish are there any issues?

ATC in Cienfuegos was hard to understand but Havana was as good as Miami. Out and about, English is pretty good at least in places that cater to foreigners. I don't speak any Spanish and had no problems.

My wife and I have been toying around and planning one of these for next year, i just happened to see this one. Glad it went well, we were going to use the same people to organize the paperwork.

I catch a lot of crap for wanting a bigger airplane (PA-32) when its just us two (although we're planning a family). Stuff like this is why i want one. Almost all my trips are very long and a roomier, faster airplane is great. flying 8+ hours in an older 172 is not. That being said I have learned a LOT on these longer trips.

Once I have my instrument ticket and a PA-32 I plan on cuba as well.

Awesome write up

I should have my IFR by Oct/Nov I think. The Dakota is a *great* 2-person airplane. We can load the back seat with accessible stuff (food, water, oxygen, handheld radio etc). and the back will hold whatever we need for a long trip like this. When we picked up friends and had four of us in there it was not nearly as comfortable.

Awesome! I'm selling my 172 now, hopefully it will be gone tomorrow. Then I'll be out of the country for about a year, come back and go straight to IFR training and pick up a PA-32. Already have an insurance quote. Cant' wait to do this

Thank you for the awesome report. Wow, you did really see a lot in one trip. I am sorry that you had such a bad experience in Ann Arbor though. Before we bought our plane in May 2015 we rented in KARB and the FBO and ramp was very good! There are two FBOs though and I can only speak for the one we used back then. Willow Run is definitely a cool alternative - as you have seen. :)

Hope to see more pictures!

Martina

Awesome. Sounds like you got your Hemingway on. :)

I've read that you do not start engines departing Havana without a radio call first. Has the whole "cone dance" thing replaced that?

Awesome. Sounds like you got your Hemingway on. :)

I've read that you do not start engines departing Havana without a radio call first. Has the whole "cone dance" thing replaced that?

It would seem so. The security guy checked for stowaways and then told us we could board and depart. We started the engine, got the ATIS and made our calls and nobody complained.

Back