First big trip: 8,000 miles to Cuba

Our hosts arranged stays with families there. Cuba has a real shortage of hotel rooms... I was told they are booked out until well into 2017.

What about your stops in the USA - did you pre-plan where you'd stay the night, or did you leave it to chance that there'd be a decent hotel? That's the thing that gets me uptight about making a multi-day trip across the USA (which I'd love to do). I'm just not very adventurous when it comes to accommodations. In other words... I'm a wuss.

We had no reservations for hotels because weather could mess them up and many places have a 24-hour cancellation policy. In Santa Fe, we knew where we wanted to stay and I did check the day before if they had rooms, but knew that by the time we got there, they could be fully booked.

Each day I would call ahead for the next day to inquire about a rental car and a hangar. We just winged it on hotels. We stayed with friends or family in 4 or 5 places, but the other 30 or so we got hotels. We have travelled all over the world (90 countries) like that (well, minus the airplane) so it just seems normal. I have never had to sleep on a park bench, but did sleep on some chairs in an Istanbul hotel lobby once. I had arrived by a 24-hour long bus ride from Tbilisi at 2am and it was pouring rain. They let me stay in the lobby for free. That was 18 years ago.

We were delayed by weather a total of 3 days: 2 at KSGJ (St. Augustine, FL) and one at KEXX (Davidson Co, NC).

Worst FBO was in Ann Arbor, MI - just really indifferent with feathers, eggs and a dead bird on the hangar floor and weeds growing up through their ramp. :( We decided not to leave the plane there but flew 4 minutes over to Willow Run (KYIP) in Ypsilanti.

Sounds like a great trip and thanks for the write up! I wish I had the time to do something like (well, probably minus the Cuba thing, I really enjoyed your write up about it, probably just take your word for it though) that but just not in the cards for me at this point. KEXX is not far from me, have flown out of there for work as a passenger and shot some practice approaches there myself, not a bad little airport. However, like I'm sure you found out, not a lot going on in Lexington, unless you are into racing, there is the RCR museum which I hear is pretty cool. And if you like barbecue, Kurley's there is really good.

While you were at Willow Run did you happen to check out the Air Museum there? We fly in there a couple of times a year for work but have never had a chance to check it out. I know they used to build bombers there during WWII at that airport so I bet there is some pretty cool stuff in there. Interesting about the Ann Arbor airport, drive right past it every day when we are up there, and now that you mention it, the place does look a little rough, even from the road.

Back