First Approach in actual

PPC1052

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
PPC
Did my first approach in actual IMC. Shot the ILS 35 to KBMG Saturday morning. Reported ceiling was 600, which matched our observations. What a kick in the pants breaking out and seeing the lights. Très cool.

Nice! Did you get a video? I have yet to shoot an ILS down to minimums yet after having my IR for about a year. The closes I got was 007 OVC on the ILS 2 or 34 (I don't remember) to RIC

I'm curious if you've been making use of a PC flight simulator.

dtuuri

Did you get a video?

No. You'll just have to take my word for it. :)

I'm curious if you've been making use of a PC flight simulator.

dtuuri
Some. I did use the Red Bird this winter when the weather was bad. I also did use Micrsoft Flight Sim X to re-fly a mission I wasn't happy with my performance on in the Red Bird. But mostly I have been training in my own plane, a 1976 Cessna 177B with the original ARC radios: dual NAV/COMs and a single ADF.

Ccongrats. It's always fun when you finally go actual.

Did my first approach in actual IMC. Shot the ILS 35 to KBMG Saturday morning. Reported ceiling was 600, which matched our observations. What a kick in the pants breaking out and seeing the lights. Très cool.

much better than getting down to minimums and seeing nothing. :hairraise:

It always surprised me how quickly you see everything when you break out of the clouds.

I was starting to think I'm the last person to not video record my flights.
You're definitely not. ;)

To the OP: congrats. I'm not sure whether this was with a CFII or solo (i.e. getting your ticket wet). Either way, it's a great feeling to confirm by experience that all this stuff really works, and that YOU CAN DO IT.

It always surprised me how quickly you see everything when you break out of the clouds.

True. Provided that you are where you are supposed to be. Or at least that is my observation from my one and only time.

To the OP: congrats. I'm not sure whether this was with a CFII or solo (i.e. getting your ticket wet). Either way, it's a great feeling to confirm by experience that all this stuff really works, and that YOU CAN DO IT.

Thanks. This was training with my CFII. I had commented just this Thursday that I hoped he would take me to get some actual instrument training some time. His response was that he would definitely do so once I was flying to within IFR tolerances. I was of the impression at the time that it would still be a little bit before we got some actual. So, I am not sure if this was planned, or just serendipity. Either way, I guess he thought I was ready.

It can be awesome to see just how much more utility your airplane has when you can do this. Suddenly, instead of being stuck waiting or canceling...you make it happen!

I have done a vor approach to mins in my plane (unforecast deterioration at my home airport during twilight, ug) and an rnav to mins in a 425 (autopilot crapped out approaching the iaf). I have never done an ils to mins in my plane; lowest was about 400'. I have done a (fully coupled) ils 200' mins in a bigger plane but that is not nearly as much fun as in my (non a/p) plane.

My favorite occurrence of my plane being exceedingly useful was one time when we got in - but the airliners were going missed at the adjacent airport.. with the same weather! Back to Abilene (have fun there!) they went while we went to our planned restaurant and meeting. (no mins were busted in this event, their ILS was down and they had to use the higher-mins ASR than what we had at our airport)

Back