FIR's

Luigi

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Luigi
In a recent FF upgrade areas in green identified as flight information regions appeared, with available frequencies for different sectors contained within said area.
Pardon my ignorance, but I have never heard of FIR's before. I called AOPA, and they didn't know what they were either.
Thanks

I've heard of GIR's before but that's on the golf course.

From the PCG
FLIGHT INFORMATION REGION

An airspace of defined dimensions within which Flight Information Service and Alerting Service are provided.
Flight Information Service. A service provided for the purpose of giving advice and information useful for the safe and efficient conduct of flights.
Alerting Service. A service provided to notify appropriate organizations regarding aircraft in need of search and rescue aid and to assist such organizations as required.

In the US, I’ve only seen then incorporated with Oceanic ARTCCs, but they are similar to Center airspace internationally.

Last edited:
I think it means Flight Information Region.
Maybe I remember the acronym but I sure can't say I've ever knowingly used the information!

From the PCG

In the US, I’ve only seen then incorporated with Oceanic ARTCCs, but they are similar to Center airspace internationally.
They are domestic US also. Here’s one right smack dab in the middle far from Oceanic Airspace.

1691899935610.png

Flight Information Region and Upper Information Region are ICOA terms which apply to US airspace too, but we don't actively use the terms domestically. They coincide with our Centers as shown in @luvflyin's pic with FIR up to 18,000 and UIR abive.

Foreflight began displaying them several years ago. I'm guessing it was part of their move to the International market. I think is also the reason there is an option to display Class E which, being the de facto default below 18,000 in the US, is pretty much invisible to us.

Flight Information Region and Upper Information Region are ICOA terms which apply to US airspace too, but we don't actively use the terms domestically. They coincide with our Centers as shown in @luvflyin's pic with FIR up to 18,000 and UIR abive.

Foreflight began displaying them several years ago. I'm guessing it was part of their move to the International market. I think is also the reason there is an option to display Class E which, being the de facto default below 18,000 in the US, is pretty much invisible to us.
I think that “…an option to display Class E…” just displays E Surface Areas.

We use the FIR boundary information extensively when flying internationally. They show us when we're moving from one country's airspace into another's.

For some FIR boundary crossings, we are required to call the next controlling agency before reaching the boundary. This was the norm in the past, as real-time flight info wasn't passed electronically between neighboring countries. These days, many of these bordering facilities do have electronic handoffs which make the FIR boundary crossing similar to being handed off between ARTTCs in the US.

Back