Firewall

CYA is probably the crux of the entire problem as it seems it has become the prime directive whereas all we're talking about here are some machines we've created to fly through the air for our pleasure. How can we enjoy this wonderful creation if we can't so much as put air in the tires without someone worrying about their a$$. :rolleyes:

CYA is probably the crux of the entire problem as it seems it has become the prime directive whereas all we're talking about here are some machines we've created to fly through the air for our pleasure. How can we enjoy this wonderful creation if we can't so much as put air in the tires without someone worrying about their a$$. :rolleyes:

Sounds like you don't want the A&Ps to do their job. but you'd cry like hell when they don't.

Holy moly there are a lot of holes in it :hairraise:. What are the odds those hole will match well? I sure hope it works out for you

Often we get parts with pilot holes. Then it gets buggered up at installation because the holes don't line up and we order another without holes...

I really appreciate threads like this one.

Every once and a while I get the crazy idea that I might like to own a Taylorcraft. Then I think about trying to maintain a type certificated airplane and threads like this make the desire go away.

I really appreciate threads like this one.

Every once and a while I get the crazy idea that I might like to own a Taylorcraft. Then I think about trying to maintain a type certificated airplane and threads like this make the desire go away.

You Murricans need to press for an Owner-Maintenance category like we have here in Canada. Taylorcrafts are typical of the types that fit it. The owner can make parts legally, or substitute whatever works safely.

Dan

You Murricans need to press for an Owner-Maintenance category like we have here in Canada. Taylorcrafts are typical of the types that fit it. The owner can make parts legally, or substitute whatever works safely.

Dan
Apparently Canadians don't mind fiery death raining from the sky.

All this discussion and not a word about whether the modification is SAFE. Just whether the FSDO will approve it. Why didn't anyone say that Henning's suggestion is SAFE or UNSAFE?

I still say that there are regulations out there that make keeping our aircraft SAFE too EXPENSIVE. Our real choices are to chance an arbitrary violation or ground ourselves. One of the biggest barriers to hobby pilots is the FAA.

Dan
We're currently working on that...IIRC the law has passed, just waiting for FAA implementation.

...I still say that there are regulations out there that make keeping our aircraft SAFE too EXPENSIVE...

I haven't followed this entire saga here but loosely based on the pictures I saw I'd venture a guess that the real reason the entire firewall was replaced is because it was an insurance claim. Otherwise a perfectly good, legal and safe repair would have been accomplished and would have been finished about a year ago. :rolleyes:

I haven't followed this entire saga here but loosely based on the pictures I saw I'd venture a guess that the real reason the entire firewall was replaced is because it was an insurance claim. Otherwise a perfectly good, legal and safe repair would have been accomplished and would have been finished about a year ago. :rolleyes:

My mechanic squawked the firewall during last year's annual. We were commited to replacing it based on his judgement before I contacted the insurance company to file a claim. My mechanic has done this repair before, including on another Cardinal, and he considered replacement to be a better option than simply riveting some doublers over the wrinkles. At that time, we never anticipated that it would take so long to get a replacement.

Is this what they pulled the firewall for?

That, and a similar wrinkle on the other side.

IMG_1834a_zps0067ebe3.jpg

IMG_1833a_zps29f4bc59.jpg

I can see the one in pictures clear back to 2007 when you got the new engine in your blog...

I didn't know insurance covers pre-existing conditions. There is a 177RG driver here who got a free carrythru spar replacement when the corrosion was missed on pre-buy.

Anyone? Is this normal?

I can see the one in pictures clear back to 2007 when you got the new engine in your blog...

You sure?

I spent a lot of time cleaning the firewall (and a lot more) when the engine was off back then and never noticed a wrinkle. The mechanic who found the damage last year has done my annuals since 2010 and never noted any damage before.

I didn't know insurance covers pre-existing conditions. There is a 177RG driver here who got a free carrythru spar replacement when the corrosion was missed on pre-buy.

Anyone? Is this normal?

IIRC, her case was animal damage - a family of mice had taken up residence in the cabin overhead and their urine had started the corrosion.

Its bent right there by the tinnerman above the cowl mount.

IIRC, her case was animal damage - a family of mice had taken up residence in the cabin overhead and their urine had started the corrosion.

I'm pretty sure if mice were above the headliner a person could smell it in time to salvage the airplane, unless it were all dried out already.

Its bent right there by the tinnerman above the cowl mount.

I see what you're talking about. It does look like the wrinkle, although it doesn't seem to originate at the top right rivet like the more recent photos. I'll take a look at the original photo (and I took a lot more back then that didn't make it to the blog)

Well, we're finally getting somewhere. Here's the new firewall being test fit into place. Most of the braces and doublers have been riveted into place. There are a few holes that don't match up, so he'll have to do some adjustments.
IMG_0946a_zpsa536a9c1.jpg

For example, the large hole circled in red should have been a rivet hole. The hole is supposed to match with one in the doubler (which isn't yet in place). He's going to patch it from behind. The smaller red-circled hole is sup[posed to match with both the doubler and the fuselage frame. I think he's going to leave it be and drill a hole in the right place.
IMG_0948a_zps9afbc388.jpg

Pretty crappy deal for a factory produced part if you ask me. Could have made a better part out of flat stock templating off the old firewall. I think anyone who incurs extra expense due to crap like this should sue them, even if just in small claims court. Eventually they will either get their act together and build good parts or provide proper data and instructions for authorization to produce one.

Last edited:
Per a Russian friend, this is like the bad old USSR where defective manufactured parts are saved for use later as spare parts.

Well, it's finally over. Nearly two years after the landing that did the damage, we're flying again.

The annual was signed off this week. I took her up for about 40 minutes yesterday afternoon. I did a few power settings and she made book speed, at least at 2,500 MSL. I also checked the autopilot and it works in both heading and nav mode.

She does need a bath, both inside and out, and I need to lubricate the seat mechanisms, but those will have to wait until I can bring her home. I'm going out of town for work for a week on Saturday, so I won't get a chance until later in the month.

Still it's good to have her back and in one piece!

What a rediculously arduous journey. Glad you're back in the saddle.

Well, it's finally over. Nearly two years after the landing that did the damage, we're flying again.

The annual was signed off this week. I took her up for about 40 minutes yesterday afternoon. I did a few power settings and she made book speed, at least at 2,500 MSL. I also checked the autopilot and it works in both heading and nav mode.

She does need a bath, both inside and out, and I need to lubricate the seat mechanisms, but those will have to wait until I can bring her home. I'm going out of town for work for a week on Saturday, so I won't get a chance until later in the month.

So, any wise words of advice on repair vs. replace, now that it's all over?

Two years? Holy crap, that's longer than it took to fix Av Shilo's Comanche after the engine failed and got all the gear torn off landing in a soft field!

About 10 hours and 30ish landings since getting Yellowbird back in the air. So far, I don't think I've bent anything. I changed the oil today and cut the filter. I've been a bit uneasy about the engine since it was inactive for so long (after about half a year of waiting, we pickled it by filling it full of automotive motor oil) but the filter was clean. I'll send a sample of the oil to Blackstone - if it comes back clean, I'll consider this episode closed.

Back