Finishing Up Time Building In A Cessna 150

jordane93

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Jordan
so i posed here about a month ago saying i was transitioning from a 172 to warrior and building time with another guy. the guy ive been flying with has about 225 and he wants out. we got about 35 hours done in a month and i still need another 40 so the flight school paired me with another guy and we are going to fly a 150 for the rest of time. ive have about 10 hrs in a 152. is the 150 similar, just slower with a smaller engine? what can i expect with this one. obviously i know its totally different than the warrior. are there any big changes from a 150 to a 152?

Limit flap travel to 30 deg in the 150 and you're pretty much the same as a 152. They're both easy, fun flying machines.

Slightly less HP. 100HP vs 112HP?
IIRC the Continental O-200 in the 150 is more prone to carb icing. Not an issue, just a "feature" you need to know about and know what to do to mitigate the risk.

Jim

so i went today in it from frg to mvy. 1st thing to say is this thing is slow! which is perfect. took us 5 hours round trip. another thing i noticed is that its super light and really responsive to controls and movements to the yoke. single radio and single vor. perfect time builder. cost me 55 bucks an hour. total came out to around 270 bucks total

Be glad you fit in one. 4.1 hours in a 150 and that number isn't going up. Legs hit the bottom of the panel when I go for the brakes. Now, if you are trying to get somewhere, you'll certainly build hours doing it in a 150. :D

If it's hours you need, the 150 is fine. If it's miles, not so good.

About those flaps: great steep approaches with 40 flap. The 150 can approach pretty slow and land quite short once you get used to it.

Takeoff and climb performance is at the other end of the spectrum. Blowing on the windshield or pushing on the ceiling has never made any difference, either.

Dan

im going on tuesday to hyannis KHYA. should take a little longer than martha's vineyard. yep the 150 can get really really slow. ive only used 20 degree flaps so far even though it does have the forty. i just felt super slow with 20 in so i think ill keep it there

im going on tuesday to hyannis KHYA. should take a little longer than martha's vineyard. yep the 150 can get really really slow. ive only used 20 degree flaps so far even though it does have the forty. i just felt super slow with 20 in so i think ill keep it there

Why? It has 40° of flaps for a reason.

i felt extremely slow putting 40 degree flaps. and sorry i meant 30 degree flaps not 20

What's wrong with extremely slow? The less energy on landing the better. The greater the drag on landing the better.

i felt extremely slow putting 40 degree flaps. and sorry i meant 30 degree flaps not 20

Go up with the instructor and see where it stalls with 30 and 40 flap. I bet it's a lot slower than what you're seeing now. The 150 will fly pretty slow. Too many students judge by subjective feelings rather than reality, and so we see really fast, flat landings because they're afraid of stalling on final.

Keep the wings level in the stall using rudder. If it falls into a spin with flaps down, get them coming up right away. But everything will be fine if you just drop the nose as the stall starts to happen.

Dan

Where are you finding a 150 for rent at FRG for $110/hr? I assume your mention of $55/hr is half the rate as you're splitting it?

Where are you finding a 150 for rent at FRG for $110/hr? I assume your mention of $55/hr is half the rate as you're splitting it?
global aviation corp. they are located in the atlantic aviation FBO. their warriors are going for 135/hr also

Momalley, I for some reason I thought the LIA one had gone up to $129/hr? Maybe I was mistaken though.
Jordane93, thanks!

The 150 is fine ,can be a little slow but the intent is to build time. Not great for cross country's but great for low and slow,fun flying.

BTW, I know it's a hell of a drive, but KXLL has a nicely equipped 152 (new avionics, GNS430) for $93/hour. Knocking out few hours on it will make the drive worth it.

BTW, I know it's a hell of a drive, but KXLL has a nicely equipped 152 (new avionics, GNS430) for $93/hour. Knocking out few hours on it will make the drive worth it.
yea thats a little too far. im almost done with the time building. im going to atlantic city today, so that should be at least 2 hours

The 150 is fine ,can be a little slow but the intent is to build time. Not great for cross country's but great for low and slow,fun flying.
i think its a great x country plane only if your building time! if i dont need the time im not taking it anywhere past 50 miles

what is the point of splitting hours? You can only log PIC when you are actually flying, correct me if incorrect. Half the time the other person will be acting PIC. also, i dont really see the value of acting as a SIC in a 152.

Be glad you fit in one. 4.1 hours in a 150 and that number isn't going up. Legs hit the bottom of the panel when I go for the brakes. Now, if you are trying to get somewhere, you'll certainly build hours doing it in a 150. :D

I drove an MR2 for a few years, I think that's the only reason I am able to fly "comfortably" in a 150.

Momalley, I for some reason I thought the LIA one had gone up to $129/hr? Maybe I was mistaken though.
Jordane93, thanks!

I think you're thinking of the 172, the steam gauge one went up $5 but the ones with the G1000 stayed the same price.

Back