Finishing Up PPL--Any Advice for last couple of flights with instructor?

rt4388

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
rt4388
I'm finishing up my PPL and I think it would be beneficial to put myself in some "risky" situations on my last few flights with my instructor. For instance, we may go up in some IMC so I can get some real understanding for spatial disorientation and flying in instrument conditions in case I happen to find myself in such a situation.
Any other situations you would recommend that I ask to be put in?
Thanks guys!

Keep in mind that you can always go back for instruction after your checkride. We pilots never stop learning. I'd say your last flights right now should focus on ensuring a positive Practical Test experience.

Make sure you can nail your short field landings within PTS

Prepare for the ride,after you get the ticket,go back up with an instructor,for some other stuff. Good luck.

I agree with write-stuff. Focus on the things you need to be confident in to pass your check ride. You can always spend a few days in IMC afterwards. Maybe more and put it towards your IR. Good luck!

Do a practice checkride where you do every maneuver to at least the PTS either with your current CFI or another CFI.

It seems like the consensus is to focus on my check ride and nothing else. Since you all know best, I guess thats the attitude I'll have until I get my ticket.

Of course do mock checkrides and orals, but that wasn't exactly your question.

IMC
PAR approach if possible
Spins
Real soft field ops
More precision power offs.

I got my ticket a year ago, and I still go up with my instructor once every other month. I write down questions to ask after my own flights, and go over things with him when we meet to fly together. We had a flight to Tahoe a couple weeks ago to give me a taste of mountain flying. I figure since my PPL is my ticket to learn, I might as well review things with an instructor every so often.

In regards to the OP's post, I agree with just making sure you can nail everything in the PTS. Before I got my ticket, I flew EVERYTHING to the PTS. As for last rides with the instructor, just have him act like a DPE.

Take a lesson every now and then for proficiency... Don't quit using your check list.

Of course do mock checkrides and orals, but that wasn't exactly your question.

IMC
PAR approach if possible
Spins
Real soft field ops
More precision power offs.

Those are definitely great suggestions post checkride, but for now I'm with the herd. Polish up the PTS maneuvers in prep for the checkride, and then go back and do extracurricular training.

One specific maneuver, if you haven't done it yet: have your instructor pull your power on downwind with no notice. My examiner did that, and while my instructor had obviously done it out over the practice area I don't think we'd done it in the pattern. The examiner made (actually "let" - I was having a blast) me glide it all the way to the tarmac. Best landing of the day, and a hell of a way to ice the cake.

Obviously, this depends on where you're training, traffic, etc., but it's a great exercise if you can safely run through it a time or two. It really tests your engine-out reflexes and boosts your confidence as a "glider" pilot.

I did my last flight before going to my ride with a different CFI...one who had actually done a few checkrides with the same DPE in fact. She gave me some very helpful insights on what he was looking for with various maneuvers, his disposition, etc...even down to telling me that he would probably say, "if you can fly a great pattern we'll skip the the S-turns and turns around a point..." - and he did. :)

Anyway, I found it helpful just to get another CFI's perspective and once again...super helpful to fly with someone who has some experience with the DPE.

I did my last flight before going to my ride with a different CFI...one who had actually done a few checkrides with the same DPE in fact. She gave me some very helpful insights on what he was looking for with various maneuvers, his disposition, etc...even down to telling me that he would probably say, "if you can fly a great pattern we'll skip the the S-turns and turns around a point..." - and he did. :)

Anyway, I found it helpful just to get another CFI's perspective and once again...super helpful to fly with someone who has some experience with the DPE.
At my flight school we have stage checks with the Chief CFI. Before we send students for the check ride, we send them to the Chief CFI. It's always good practice to get a second opinion.

Back