Finding more work.

Discussion in 'Maintenance Bay' started by Tom-D, Oct 29, 2017.

1. danhagan

danhagan Cleared for Takeoff

Display Name:

Display name:
    danhagan
    True ... am sure you can get a pretty good idea of the owner's personality after the first job.

2. Tom-D

Tom-D Taxi to Parking

Display Name:

Display name:
    Tom-D
    I don't care if they are a pri-k as long as they pay the bill, and take my advice. :)

3. Norman

Norman En-Route Gone West

Display Name:

Display name:
    KPTK
    Tom,

As a fellow A&P/IA now retired I take exception. I can advise owners about thing that should be done in the interest of keeping their plane in airworthy condition but under the regs I have no way to enforce that shirt of asking an inspector to confirm my judgement. I have only once had to do that when I found some countersunk rivets in the wings of a Cherokee Arrow. After fifteen minutes of looking the ASI hung a condition notice on the plane effectively grounding it. The plane was one of those fresh paint and interior and the nosegear trunion had scrape marks on it that indicated a nose gear up landing. No way in hell was I going to put my signature in the logs or let my purchaser but the plane even though he was smitten by paint and interior.

Bottom line was the previous IA who signed it off as airworthy lost his certificate. My right under the FAR's is higher priority than his.

Oh, yes, I have dealt with less than desirable customers. When they ask for an annual I am too busy to accommodate them.

4. Tom-D

Tom-D Taxi to Parking

Display Name:

Display name:
    Tom-D
    I'm at the age where if a customer doesn't want to take my advice they can take their business else where.

Don't need their sh-t, If you know what I mean.

Paulie likes this.
  5. SEMOAV

SEMOAV Pre-Flight

Display Name:

Display name:
    SEMOAV
    Tom I like that. I have run into things like that before. I once had a customer tell me the shimmy on the nose of their 172 was not being caused by the wore out bearings on their scissor links. (like 3/4 inch play both ways) They got made when I suggested we remove them and inspect the links, hardware and bushings. So they went on down the road. This can be such a tough business when every bodies personality requires them to always be right.

6. Tom-D

Tom-D Taxi to Parking

Display Name:

Display name:
    Tom-D
    When that guy comes down my road, I have him push down on the stab while I shake the hell out of the nose strut, after he lets the nose down again I tell him he needs a whole new strut. and ask why his old mechanic allowed him to get this bad.
    I usually never see them again.

7. Checkout_my_Six

Checkout_my_Six Final Approach

Display Name:

Display name:
    Check_my_Six
    Tom....I hope you find more work, pal. :D

8. GlennAB1

GlennAB1 Ejection Handle Pulled

Display Name:

Display name:
    GlennAB1
    JAJAJAJAJA!

9. Paulie

Paulie Line Up and Wait

Display Name:

Display name:
    paulie
    You ain't getting a sticker from me. If I can't sign the book it was never done. Now get out of my shop.