Find plane via Transponder code?

OkieAviator

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
OkieAviator
So a buddy of mine is looking for a plane he thinks may have changed tail numbers. He has the transponder code, is there someway to find it that way?

Thanks!

Search the Faa DB for the serial number.

Thanks, all comes back to the same tailnumber. Guess the plane just isn't flying.

The ICAO transponder code is derived from the N#. If the N# changes so does the code as long as the owner had it done. He might try searching by both old and new numbers.

The ICAO transponder code is derived from the N#. If the N# changes so does the code as long as the owner had it done. He might try searching by both old and new numbers.
You know - I’d swear you were right. But a year ago I rented a plane who had a different transponder / call sign than what was on the fuse.

The FAA db will allow you to find the serial number of the airplane by N-number and then look it up by the serial to find the new N-number.

You know - I’d swear you were right. But a year ago I rented a plane who had a different transponder / call sign than what was on the fuse.
Then the transponder needed to be set up properly for the new tail number.

I can translate a mode S code to the N number or visa versa. The latter is easy as you can look up the N number in the FAA registry and it will have the mode S code. If you provide the code, I can tell you what N number it should be associated with.

You can see all of this on ADSBexchange.com. Can also see some folks that didn’t update their transponders properly. :)

Then the transponder needed to be set up properly for the new tail number.

The plot thickens. The plane I rented was leased to the school by the owner, registered and showing 123YD on the fuselage. The school I rented from changed all of their transponders to xxxJED to brand the school I guess. None of their planes ever got new call letters on the fuselages, no registrations were ever changed.

A CFII I was with said it was perfectly legal - although not sure how. I do know a lot of confusion with Ground when I called to taxi on who I was. (Yes, the school forgot to tell me the transponder code was different - Bless their hearts).

There are two things: the Mode S address and the aircraft identity. The latter in the US is supposed to be one-to-one mapped from registration number. There's no way they can put in stuff that wouldn't be a legal n number. The other field is the aircraft identity. You usually can do this from the pilot controls. Usually, for non-commercial operators it's just set to the N number again. Commercial operators often put the flight number in there. I assume that's what this flight school does. It's not uncommon when you have a school like Embry Riddle or Ohio State or whatever where all the planes end in the same letters. Too many 0SU on frequency so the use Buckeye followed by the leading digits. 210SU becomes buckeye 21. 73ER becomes Riddle 73.

But a year ago I rented a plane who had a different transponder / call sign than what was on the fuse.
said it was perfectly legal - although not sure how.
Interesting, but I don't see how it was legal in this day and age. If they were actually a Mode S transponders there is a specific test in 43 Appx F to verify it replies to its assigned ICAO address. And with ADSB there is an initial assigned ICAO address verification requirement even if you have a legit PIA address or use one of the 91.227 exceptions.

The plot thickens. The plane I rented was leased to the school by the owner, registered and showing 123YD on the fuselage. The school I rented from changed all of their transponders to xxxJED to brand the school I guess. None of their planes ever got new call letters on the fuselages, no registrations were ever changed.

A CFII I was with said it was perfectly legal - although not sure how. I do know a lot of confusion with Ground when I called to taxi on who I was. (Yes, the school forgot to tell me the transponder code was different - Bless their hearts).
It sounds like you're talking about FlightID, which is often (sometimes?) configurable by the pilot.

It sounds like you're talking about FlightID, which is often (sometimes?) configurable by the pilot.
Maybe. Whatever it was, that is what all and every part of ATC (tower, approach, center, etc) called me and anyone else who used the plane.

Back