Finally Have a Date (to take my checkride)!

SkyChaser

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
SkyChaser
I was able to schedule my checkride today! Here's hoping I only have to reschedule it a max of six or seven times before it actually works... ;)

I've got a little over a month to finish preparing, which is very scary and very exciting. I've got the ASA guide, the PHAK/AFH, FAR/AIM, the POH for the Archer I fly, and the ACS (parts that are pertinent to ASEL) that I'm attempting to synthesize into a schedule of sorts so I don't forget about a subject area or run out of time to study. Anyone have tips or tricks for studying/prepping for the checkride?

Ok...so who’s your date? ;)

good luck on the checkride!

LOL I haven't figured that one out...maybe some day, I'll be able to convince a guy I'm okay long enough for him to take me out, but so far no luck. I think you're going to be waiting for a while for the answer to that question! ;) For some of us, getting a date with an airplane is a whole lot easier than getting a date with a guy, so I think I'll just stick with the airplanes for now. I know how to handle those. :)

I was able to schedule my checkride today! Here's hoping I only have to reschedule it a max of six or seven times before it actually works... ;)

I've got a little over a month to finish preparing, which is very scary and very exciting. I've got the ASA guide, the PHAK/AFH, FAR/AIM, the POH for the Archer I fly, and the ACS (parts that are pertinent to ASEL) that I'm attempting to synthesize into a schedule of sorts so I don't forget about a subject area or run out of time to study. Anyone have tips or tricks for studying/prepping for the checkride?
I did my PPL check ride in early March (upper Midwest, where March comes in like a lion, then gets drunk and eats all the lambs) and didn't have to reschedule it due to weather, so you just never know. It could actually happen as scheduled.

Did the examiner give you a cross-country flight to plan already? Talk to others who have taken check rides with the same examiner and you may get some tips on specific things he will focus on more than others. There could be a tiny little restricted area that he wants to see if you catch or not, and if you don't often fly in the area or direction of the cross-country flight plan you could miss it. Ask how I know.

Regardless of getting tips from others who have gone before you, be sure you can explain every decision you make in your flight plan. Did you plan to follow airways or go direct? Why did you make that choice? Examiners know there's more than one way to skin a cat, they just want to be sure you can articulate why you chose the way you did and what alternatives you considered.

Every conversation you have about flying is a mock oral exam on some level. For example, I was at an airport in Iowa waiting out some weather, doing some hangar flying with another pilot who happened to wander through the FBO, and we disagreed on whether you have to wear parachutes when you are receiving dual instruction and performing spins at a time when you are not specifically training for the flight instructor certificate. The oral portion of the check ride is basically just a long conversation between you and a very experienced pilot, about flying. What's not to like about that?

Make sure that you, your logbook, the plane, and the plane's logbooks are all ready for the check ride. The annual and, if needed, 100-hour signoffs on the plane need to address ADs and the ELT. You can use the AVIATES mnemonic if you want, but I personally hate it since it would have to be in l33tspeak to work out: AV1AATES. Do you have every required signature from your instructor for solo flight, solo cross country flight, etc.? Do you have an endorsement to fly solo cross-country home from the check ride if it is not at your home airport, as a Plan B in case you do not possess a temporary airman certificate at the end of the check ride? (Better to have it and not need it...) Again, ask how I know.

Every time you fly from now to the check ride, use a written check list for everything. I mean it, everything. After engine start, run-up, tooth-brushing. Don't tolerate any sloppiness in your procedures. And try doing your preflight inspection check list with distractions, like an inquisitive friend that you have to explain everything to. The examiner will catch things you miss, even if the only reason you missed them was because you got caught up in explaining something else to the examiner.

Do not give in to any examiner-related pressure to skip a step. "You did a preflight before you came inside for the oral, right? Let's just fly already!" at the beginning of the check ride can turn into a for-real dead-stick landing at the end of it, in the hands of a particularly cruel examiner. (The war story I base this on is from ~30 years ago and not likely to happen in the modern era, but that doesn't make the point any less valid.)

Do not assume you have passed or failed until the plane is secured at the end of the flight. The ACS talks about post-flight procedures, so "good work, taxi over to the office and set the parking brake!" at the end of the check ride could be a trap to see if you let excitement about finishing the ride get in the way of tying the plane down and making sure it came back in one piece. Maybe it inconveniences the examiner or feels awkward, but take your time on this to do it right all the way to the end. Don't walk away from the airplane in any condition other than how you'd trust it to ride out a thunderstorm overnight.

And, no matter what happens, fly the airplane. Maybe your steep turns sucked today. Maybe you forgot to set the DG before takeoff. Maybe you tripped on the tie-down rope and broke your nose at the beginning of the check ride. Everything that has already happened is in the past, which you cannot change, so put it out of your mind and fly the airplane. You can beat yourself up all you want after the test, but don't even think about it during the test. I don't know how much discretion examiners have, but I suspect that an applicant who flies the airplane all the way to the tiedown without letting a past mistake compound itself can earn 5 knots here and 20 feet there outside the ACS standards. And even if I'm wrong, would you rather have to go back to fly a few steep turns and nothing else, or go back and do the entire check ride again because you let your steep turn mistake also ruin your emergency landing site selection, short-field landing, check list use in the pattern, etc.?

good luck! and yeah, be prepared for it to be rescheduled a time or two. no big deal (even though yeah, it's kinda a big deal)

LOL I haven't figured that one out...maybe some day, I'll be able to convince a guy I'm okay long enough for him to take me out, but so far no luck. I think you're going to be waiting for a while for the answer to that question! ;) For some of us, getting a date with an airplane is a whole lot easier than getting a date with a guy, so I think I'll just stick with the airplanes for now. I know how to handle those. :)
I think you’re going about it wrong..,you need the guy to convince you that HE is good enough.

I think you’re going about it wrong..,you need the guy to convince you that HE is good enough.

That implies there's a guy around that would want to, which doesn't seem to be true. Oh well, their loss, I guess. ;)

Thanks for the checkride well wishes, everyone. Hopefully it will be very anti-climatic! LOL

I did my PPL check ride in early March (upper Midwest, where March comes in like a lion, then gets drunk and eats all the lambs) and didn't have to reschedule it due to weather, so you just never know. It could actually happen as scheduled.

Did the examiner give you a cross-country flight to plan already? Talk to others who have taken check rides with the same examiner and you may get some tips on specific things he will focus on more than others. There could be a tiny little restricted area that he wants to see if you catch or not, and if you don't often fly in the area or direction of the cross-country flight plan you could miss it. Ask how I know.

Regardless of getting tips from others who have gone before you, be sure you can explain every decision you make in your flight plan. Did you plan to follow airways or go direct? Why did you make that choice? Examiners know there's more than one way to skin a cat, they just want to be sure you can articulate why you chose the way you did and what alternatives you considered.

Every conversation you have about flying is a mock oral exam on some level. For example, I was at an airport in Iowa waiting out some weather, doing some hangar flying with another pilot who happened to wander through the FBO, and we disagreed on whether you have to wear parachutes when you are receiving dual instruction and performing spins at a time when you are not specifically training for the flight instructor certificate. The oral portion of the check ride is basically just a long conversation between you and a very experienced pilot, about flying. What's not to like about that?

Make sure that you, your logbook, the plane, and the plane's logbooks are all ready for the check ride. The annual and, if needed, 100-hour signoffs on the plane need to address ADs and the ELT. You can use the AVIATES mnemonic if you want, but I personally hate it since it would have to be in l33tspeak to work out: AV1AATES. Do you have every required signature from your instructor for solo flight, solo cross country flight, etc.? Do you have an endorsement to fly solo cross-country home from the check ride if it is not at your home airport, as a Plan B in case you do not possess a temporary airman certificate at the end of the check ride? (Better to have it and not need it...) Again, ask how I know.

Every time you fly from now to the check ride, use a written check list for everything. I mean it, everything. After engine start, run-up, tooth-brushing. Don't tolerate any sloppiness in your procedures. And try doing your preflight inspection check list with distractions, like an inquisitive friend that you have to explain everything to. The examiner will catch things you miss, even if the only reason you missed them was because you got caught up in explaining something else to the examiner.

Do not give in to any examiner-related pressure to skip a step. "You did a preflight before you came inside for the oral, right? Let's just fly already!" at the beginning of the check ride can turn into a for-real dead-stick landing at the end of it, in the hands of a particularly cruel examiner. (The war story I base this on is from ~30 years ago and not likely to happen in the modern era, but that doesn't make the point any less valid.)

Do not assume you have passed or failed until the plane is secured at the end of the flight. The ACS talks about post-flight procedures, so "good work, taxi over to the office and set the parking brake!" at the end of the check ride could be a trap to see if you let excitement about finishing the ride get in the way of tying the plane down and making sure it came back in one piece. Maybe it inconveniences the examiner or feels awkward, but take your time on this to do it right all the way to the end. Don't walk away from the airplane in any condition other than how you'd trust it to ride out a thunderstorm overnight.

And, no matter what happens, fly the airplane. Maybe your steep turns sucked today. Maybe you forgot to set the DG before takeoff. Maybe you tripped on the tie-down rope and broke your nose at the beginning of the check ride. Everything that has already happened is in the past, which you cannot change, so put it out of your mind and fly the airplane. You can beat yourself up all you want after the test, but don't even think about it during the test. I don't know how much discretion examiners have, but I suspect that an applicant who flies the airplane all the way to the tiedown without letting a past mistake compound itself can earn 5 knots here and 20 feet there outside the ACS standards. And even if I'm wrong, would you rather have to go back to fly a few steep turns and nothing else, or go back and do the entire check ride again because you let your steep turn mistake also ruin your emergency landing site selection, short-field landing, check list use in the pattern, etc.?

Don't you envy those who can type at the speed of heat..

You got this!! You have the right attitude for sure. I used a different book than the ASA one you have, but I would just do a bit of studying each night so you stay sharp in all the areas covered in the ACS. Maybe schedule a mock oral a week out from your ride - your CFI will give you some great feedback on what to focus on that final week so you aren't cramming.

If you are like me, you won't be able to let a day go by without studying something... so maybe do a chapter or half chapter a day from the ASA book. Tab out the FAR/AIM and read the relevant sections. Stuff like that. Definitely read that post about checkride advice... it drives home the point to relax. You got this far. You have the right attitude. You want this. Your CFI knows you are ready. Just stay sharp on the razor edge without burning out for the next month.

And don't sweat it if your ride gets wx'ed out. It may happen. If it doesn't that's a bonus. But, again, you got this!

You are going to do great. For the studying part, it's been a long time since I did my PPL, but I did do my instrument 2 years ago. I just kept reviewing the written material, taking the practice tests from sporty's over and over. If I missed something I looked it up. I use Foreflight and loaded on the manuals such as the PHAK, the FAR/AIM and the POH for the airplane I used into the docs section. When I missed a question I looked it up in the appropriate manual and book marked the answer with a descriptive title. That way if it didn't stick I could find it next time in seconds. I did this with relative rules in the FARs and the AIM. I took the ACS and went through each line of what was required, I made sure I could answer and/or perform each line on the ACS. It worked great for me, it'll work for you. In the month before the check ride I spent probably at least an hour a day, probably more reviewing the material and taking the tests.

As far as the dating thing, relax, you will have no problem in area. The only hint I have is that if you feel you have to convince someone to date you, he's a jerk, move on.

The oral is open book, and you can use it. You can take anything you want in with you, ie. note pads, sticky notes, tabbed FAR/AIM book, and you're welcome anytime to refer/use them.

You can place your ad for a guy.....you know, S... looking for (you fill it in) must have (????) must have airplane, please send picture of airplane.:)

Last edited:
I'll wait a couple years before resorting to placing ads. LOL Who knows, maybe something unexpected will happen! There's a first time for everything, right? ;)

Thanks for all the study tips! :) For some reason, it's really weird to think you can take all that stuff in with you for the test. I think the biggest issue may be remembering that and making sure I'm not trying to memorize everything I need to know.

I'll wait a couple years before resorting to placing ads. LOL Who knows, maybe something unexpected will happen! There's a first time for everything, right? ;)

Thanks for all the study tips! :) For some reason, it's really weird to think you can take all that stuff in with you for the test. I think the biggest issue may be remembering that and making sure I'm not trying to memorize everything I need to know.

Actually the questions they will ask you should know, and probably do know. Pay your instructor for ground time to grill you, do it a couple times.

Yeah it may seem strange, but in the real world, if you need to know something, you CAN look it up. You may have forgotten, or may not know the exact wording, etc.
I'm currently working on my CFI-S rating, and it seems to me the FAAs #1 goal is to know you're a safe pilot. I'm going/looking through the book looking at all the questions the DPE could possibly ask during the oral and or the flight. That book is nearly the size of the Aircraft Spruce Catalog, (maybe not quite) lol. They don't/cant't expect you to memorize or know word for word every answer. They want to make sure your're safe, and are capable of making rational decisions.

Last edited:
Good luck..My check ride was so long ago, it might have been by Orville W.

Lots of good advice above. One thing I’ll add. The DPE expects you to be Pilot In COMMAND in every sense of the word. So think what to do when asked by the DPE and then “Just Do It” as Nike says since you know how.

Cheers

Much good advice here, but I'll note that the examiner must inform you if you've blown it, and either end the checkride or give you the opportunity to continue. So he can't wait until you're at the terminal and then tell you your steep turns were no good. If he moves on to the next maneuver without commenting, the previous maneuver is secure.

Much good advice here, but I'll note that the examiner must inform you if you've blown it, and either end the checkride or give you the opportunity to continue. So he can't wait until you're at the terminal and then tell you your steep turns were no good. If he moves on to the next maneuver without commenting, the previous maneuver is secure.
Thanks for correcting me. That's all the better reason not to beat yourself up if you think your maneuver was bad. :)

Thanks for correcting me. That's all the better reason not to beat yourself up if you think your maneuver was bad. :)

^^^ this. If they don’t say the ride is over, it ain’t over. Forget about whatever you just screwed up and focus on the next thing or you’ll screw that one up too. LOL

If a landing isn’t looking good, GO AROUND. There’s no downside to a go around, but a botched landing, like being too long on a short field landing, can fail you. A go around shows good judgment.

Talk to a few people who have used the same DPE. DPEs have their favorite diversions, spots for an engine failure, emergencies, etc. My PPL DPE gave me an engine fire exactly where I expected it, near a small airport with infrequent use.

Talk. Explain what you’re doing. Don’t be excessive, but saying “I see our first waypoint. I’m hold a heading about 5 degrees greater than the plan, so the crosswind is a bit stronger than forecast,” let’s him know you’re attentive and thinking about what you’re doing.

Watch your time and fuel and make correct tank changes. Don’t get distracted and run a tank too low. Checking the time and saying, “I’d like to switch tanks before I start the next maneuver” is perfectly fine.

Remember that even if you blow a maneuver you haven’t “failed;” you just need a second flight to complete the test. The only time you fail is when you don’t book the second ride.

You’re going to do great!

Last edited:
Thanks for all the tips! I appreciate y'all taking the time to write them all out. :)

One small tip. If you have a tablet or cellphone get the FAR/AIM app. It makes looking stuff up super fast. Just use the search feature. And it’s a little cheaper than the actual book.

One small tip. If you have a tablet or cellphone get the FAR/AIM app. It makes looking stuff up super fast. Just use the search feature. And it’s a little cheaper than the actual book.
It also updates automatically and forever, unlike the hard copy of the FAR/AIM. The app is a win-win.

I'm late, I'm late for
A very important date.
No time to say hello, good-bye,
I'm late, I'm late, I'm late
I'm late and when I wave,
I lose the time I save.
My fuzzy ears and whiskers
Took me too much time to shave.
I run and then I hop, hop, hop,
I wish that I could fly.
Soon I will be able to fly.
There's danger if I dare to
Stop and here's a reason why:
I'm over-due, I'm in a rabbit stew.
Can't even say good-bye,
Hello, I'm late, I'm late, I'm late,
I finally have a date.!!

It's easy to psych yourself out, try to relax and remain calm, don't over think your preperation. If you don't know the answer, know where to find it. Best wishes for a smooth flight check!

Back