Filiming training flights in cockpit

SaltH2OHokie

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Ryan
I've got a suction mount and a Garmin VIRB (essentially a gopro) that I'd like to suction to one of the backseat windows in our club 172 and film my instruction flights. I've also purchased the inline cable to capture communications.

My CFI is reluctant to allow me to use it because he is worried it would be a distraction and was unsure of any FAA reg's one way or the other regarding it's use. Distraction isn't a concern for me...cut it on before startup, and forget about it. If it falls off the window, it's over the unoccupied backseat, no biggie. It'll ride back there with the unused headsets and whatever coat or hat I've tossed back there once I got in the plane.

Any thoughts one way or the other? I'm not going to push the issue with him, because at the end of the day it isn't that big of deal one way or the other, and I respect his opinion/authority on it. I just think it would be helpful to be able to review between lessons. Weather has dictated that I'm cancelling about 50% of my scheduled training flights...so there's time where I'm not flying that I'd at least like to be reviewing my prior flights.

Any FAA reg's against sticking in the cockpit out of sight, flipping it on and ignoring it until you're back at the hangar? Any thoughts from active CFI's on whether it's a help or hindrance?

more likely he doesn't want his instructing critiqued on the internet. I think its a super useful tool for you to be able to review your flights and get more out of the money you're spending on lessons. I've never heard of any rules. I recorded a couple of mine and its not a distraction if you set it and forget it, like you said, if it falls it falls. It worked best for me if I started the camera before I started the engine so I wouldn't have to think about it during the flight. I tried one time to start it after the runup, but by the time we got to that point and I hit the start/stop button, the camera had powered off and I ended up recording nothing. I wasn't going to mess with it I just hit start and assume it was rolling.

Not really an angle I'd pondered, nor do I honestly think that's his concern -- but if it were, I'd just keep it off the internet.

I started using a GoPro in the cockpit around my 5th lesson, and have had it running on every flight since. (Except my checkrides.) I have mine mounted from the ceiling, dead center, using one of the sticky mounts. (In the beginning, it was a rental Warrior, and they gave me permission to mount it. Later, I bought the Archer and did the same.) From that position, the camera could see out the front windows, a little of the side windows, and the instrument panel. I found it to be an invaluable tool for learning, and to this day I watch every flight within 24hrs of returning home. Even 500+ hours in, I still learn from my recordings. I take notes, and I review those notes before the next flight. This also helps me develop questions to review with my CFI later. (I still buy him lunch about once a month to pick his brain, but mostly cause he's a great guy and I love talking flying with him.) I never post any of the videos on the internet, and I don't even save the files. (Except for my PPL solo.) I delete them after I watch them. (Don't feel like buying more hard drives.)

I only had one CFI that didn't want it on. (I think he just didn't want to be recorded. I realized why later, and avoided any flights with him.) As for regulations against this? I don't know of any, and I'm pretty sure you wouldn't see as many videos on You Tube of people's training flights if there were rules against it.

I've never had any students film their lessons but if it helps you learn I'd discuss this more with your CFI.

There are zero reg's against it. I actually had a CFI who bought a GoPro for the sole reason of being able to film his lessons and play them back to help him improve his instruction. I thought it was an excellent idea and had no problems with filming it.

It's a nice learning tool, and I second the thought from Jordan, you should talk this over with your CFI if you believe you would benefit from it.

Old school mentality. Does the CFI hate iPads, too? Can't blame em, just gotta show them the light.

The manager of a fairly busy 61/141 school told me that they have seen that students who GoPro their flights are getting to the checkride sooner. He was strongly in favor of them as a teaching aid.

It really is a great learning tool. You miss so many things while in the air, and your concentration is on not crashing the airplane. Things your instructors says, things you did right, things you did wrong. I would frequently catch little things that I could have done better that my CFI either didn't notice, or didn't mention because he didn't want to discourage me too much. It was even more helpful with my instrument rating, as I had both the view outside and the instruments, so I got to see another side that I wasn't seeing while under the hood.

If I were a CFI, recording of lessons would be mandatory, as would the review of those recordings.

Old CFI here, but I'd probably allow it. Might learn something about my instructing too for improvement.

I suppose if a CFI was paranoid about it, that CFI could have a legal document drawn up addressing their concerns. I don't know if it would hold water though.

I also think the CFI should have the final say if he's against it, as well as a CFI wanting to record it, and the student is against it. IOW both would have to agree to it.

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies. I don't really mind if he has a problem with it, whatever he's comfortable with, and I don't intend on pushing the issue...but good to know it doesn't sound like it's a crazy or illegal idea.

Recording my early flights were invaluable. Too much happening in real time to be able to digest. The more you can see, the better. I'd even put a vote in for having recorded audio.

There can't be too many rules against it since this guy was able to get the examiner to consent to him filming and sharing his instrument rating check ride:

I've got a suction mount and a Garmin VIRB (essentially a gopro) that I'd like to suction to one of the backseat windows in our club 172 and film my instruction flights. I've also purchased the inline cable to capture communications.

My CFI is reluctant to allow me to use it because he is worried it would be a distraction and was unsure of any FAA reg's one way or the other regarding it's use. Distraction isn't a concern for me...cut it on before startup, and forget about it. If it falls off the window, it's over the unoccupied backseat, no biggie. It'll ride back there with the unused headsets and whatever coat or hat I've tossed back there once I got in the plane.

Any thoughts one way or the other? I'm not going to push the issue with him, because at the end of the day it isn't that big of deal one way or the other, and I respect his opinion/authority on it. I just think it would be helpful to be able to review between lessons. Weather has dictated that I'm cancelling about 50% of my scheduled training flights...so there's time where I'm not flying that I'd at least like to be reviewing my prior flights.

Any FAA reg's against sticking in the cockpit out of sight, flipping it on and ignoring it until you're back at the hangar? Any thoughts from active CFI's on whether it's a help or hindrance?
I didn't record any of my early training flights but once I was but a few weeks from the official checkride my CFI recorded a few landings during our practice checkrides.

Surf around PoA for a bit and see how well we "Offer constructive critique" of student GoPro videos.

Also take a few minutes to enjoy the gadget vs learn to fly threads. (You'll find I'm anti-gadget)

When you're done, crank up the virb, and post us some videos. We seem to really enjoy discussing them! :)

i really wanted to do this, but my flight school doesnt allow it, they used to until some moron put them on youtube and i something went south somewhere... i wish i could, with early days in training one often doesnt recall everything that he is being taught because of the overload of information and it would be invaluable to review them at home to learn from it... if they allow it, do it, if they dont, well dont. i would rather have a great CFI than a not so great one who may allow me to record. there arent any regulations that i am aware of, YT is filled to people learning to fly. i was even open to sign NDA, they just dont allow it.

There will be plenty of time to film your flying, even if it has to wait until after your check ride. As they say, it's a license to learn.

I'd stay away from any CFI who doesn't let you record your flights. I did it from the first flight instruction and the amount of useful information that I got from the videos that I missed or forgot during the lesson probably saved me a few flights worth of instruction. Why a CFI would say no is beyond me unless he is insecure about his teaching skills. You can mount the camera so that his face isn't viewable. I found reviewing my videos absolutely invaluable, and you should do whatever you need to make it happen, even if you have to find a new CFI.

I am experimenting with a Garmin VIRB Elite as a teaching aid and feel it will be nice to send the clients home with a video of their flight and reviewing it may be a part of their homework. Many of my clients come from a considerable distance for flight instruction in blocks.

I like the VIRB Elite because it has the ability to record ground speed and G loading.

I feel ground speed combined with seeing indicated airspeed may help them to understand the effects of the wind sooner.

The VIRB also has a longer lasting battery compared to the GoPro.

I found a refurbished Virb Elite for $130 on eBay and purchased the chord for $21 and a chip for $22.

I am pleased with the quality of the sound and I feel it will help people get better at radio calls sooner.

I tried it on top of my helmet and the glare shield stopped me from reading the instruments.

I have a chest mount coming for $27.

I have not used it as a teaching aid yet because I feel there is a steep learning curve and I don’t want to distract the client while I learn.

Filming in the cockpit is distracting and unsafe.

So sayeth 6PC... the only thing less safe will be 6PC filming his first ride in the pasta machine!

Stay tuned to that YT channel... the script is mostly written and the RV is more or less air worthy. ;)

I captured video of every lesson of mine from #3 to before my checkride, and just about every flight I've taken thereafter. I agree that it should not be the focus at all (set and forget, as you said) - nor should ANY technical do-dads in your primary training - but the ability to debrief every flight was (and still is) invaluable to me, especially when coupled with CloudAhoy.

I'm not quite sure why a CFI wouldn't allow you to film your flights, unless they were worried about distractions. In my opinion, having the ability to get out of the horrible, noisy "classroom" of the airplane and re-live the lesson from the comfort of my home, as well as chair fly on the days I couldn't get in the air, paid off in spades for me and was probably a good key in me getting my certificate right over 40 hours.

Know what's more useful then a video? Something like CloudAhoy, especially for maneuvers.

Was super helpful for me doing my instrument rating. I didn't get much out of the videos I took, other than visual enjoyment.

Yesterday I was able to troubleshoot an audio issue I had in flight using the GoPro playback (after I landed).

I did it and I loved it. I even borrowed the go pro to do it. Now I wish I had bought one. It really helped me along. Instructor was hesitant at first but he thought he noticed an improvement in my flying between lessons I had it and less improvement when I didn't have it.

I am a CFI at FDK and if one of my students has issues, I ask them if I may video their lessons. I them place them on my web site here: https://clarityphotos.smugmug.com/Aviation/Pattern-Work-at-FDK . 30 years ago I had a WWII weather observer as a student. He had real issues and I was at my whit's end and I purchased a VHS camera and mounted it in the cargo area of my C152 25762. After each lesson I would give him a tape. He was then able to solo after a few more lessons. I never saw him again after he solo'ed; however, he did fulfill his dream of flying at 70 hours.

I record mine (I've posted one or two) and it's helped me with reviewing what went on later. Plus I get to share them with my Dad 1,000 miles away.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I cab see both sides but as long as you don't overdo it I wouldn't have an issue. And by overdoing it I mean showing up with four different gopros and a selfie stick.

I record all my lessons so the student can go over them or I can reinforce a point. its a must and will reduce training costs and time. If your CFI doesn't want to record it, find another CFI. That's BS.

I cab see both sides but as long as you don't overdo it I wouldn't have an issue. And by overdoing it I mean showing up with four different gopros and a selfie stick.

Been one of my biggest hurdles in training so far: figuring out how to manipulate the throttle, the yoke, AND keep my selfie stick coordinated.

As some others have said, I did it also. I found it very useful any identifying problems in both flying, checklist re-enforcement and radio work. I had great instructors that allowed me to use them both inside the cockpit and out on the plane. To me, they were never a distraction and the instructors never seemed to mind.

My instructor said he doesn't mind at all. He did say though he is very particular on where to put it outside the airplane and don't be upset with him if it falls 3500 feet to it's death. I'm not worried about that though as I would mount it inside the cockpit. I won't be doing it yet, but when I get to solos and cross countries I plan on it.

I guess I'm old, but I can't see what a back seat video is going to help with ... I'm not a CFI, but a lot of the problems are probably feet related which aren't on screen. If it's "sight picture", not helpful either. If you're CFI is teaching ONLY in the cockpit, and giving distracting info. that should have been in a pre-flight or post-flight review, THEN it might be beneficial ... but it'd be more beneficial to change CFIs at that point.

Everyone gets the same "landing" issues and "plateau training" issues during their lessons and somehow managed without on board video. ATC recording might be beneficial for those that are radio shy.

It's a thing. I've got millennial friends and they're photographing and videoing everything all the time. I think it would actually be a shock to some of them if someone suggested they just put down the camera and enjoy anything.

Back