Ffffffff airline travel... Seriously.

It's amazing compared to what travel was like 100 years ago. Very true.

I don't mind it being a commodity. I like being able to travel semi-cheaply. An upgrade ticket isn't worth it to me. For whatever reason, I have not had some of the unfortunate seatmates that others have had, even though I travel by airline a fair amount. Strangely, I don't mind it nearly as much as I did +-20 years ago when I would do anything to avoid it (including trying Amtrak). But I didn't fly much in those days. Once I started doing it more it became just like getting on a bus.

Maybe you're the "unfortunate seatmate".

Maybe you're the "unfortunate seatmate".
I try not to put on my friendly face, which hopefully discourages people from taking the middle seat next to me, since I almost always have the window. :rofl:

Actually that's only the front of the plane...

No, it's not, and you should know better. No "congregating" in the crapper areas nor the galleys. Ask your stews.

Last edited:
It's amazing compared to what travel was like 100 years ago. Very true.

I don't mind it being a commodity. I like being able to travel semi-cheaply. An upgrade ticket isn't worth it to me. For whatever reason, I have not had some of the unfortunate seatmates that others have had, even though I travel by airline a fair amount. Strangely, I don't mind it nearly as much as I did +-20 years ago when I would do anything to avoid it (including trying Amtrak). But I didn't fly much in those days. Once I started doing it more it became just like getting on a bus.

Does your company have KCM ?

I try not to put on my friendly face, which hopefully discourages people from taking the middle seat next to me, since I almost always have the window. :rofl:

How can they be discouraged when it's assigned to them?

Does your company have KCM ?
No... but I recently bought myself Global Entry. We don't reposition much by airline, although we use it to go to training and to drop the airplane off for maintenance. Most of my airline flights are personal.

No... but I recently bought myself Global Entry. We don't reposition much by airline, although we use it to go to training and to drop the airplane off for maintenance. Most of my airline flights are personal.

Do you have a 135 certificate? If so I'm betting you can get KCM for a reasonable fee. Even if only used a few times a year it's worth it. Also can be used for personal travel.

Do you have a 135 certificate? If so I'm betting you can get KCM for a reasonable fee. Even if only used a few times a year it's worth it. Also can be used for personal travel.
We are on a 135 certificate but doesn't the company as a whole need to buy into it?

I have no problem with Southwest. In fact I choose it over others, mostly because there is no change fee. And I like the open seating, although I know many don't.

Interesting. I wonder if anyone has proposed this yet where I work.

Some pilots are willing to pay their own fee as long as the company will do it. I know of a couple where the company says they won't pay but the pilots pay on their own.

Some pilots are willing to pay their own fee as long as the company will do it. I know of a couple where the company says they won't pay but the pilots pay on their own.
Now that I've paid my $100 lifetime Global Entry fee, I don't see that it would do me that much good, so I am unlikely to spearhead this, but I'll ask around to see if others have heard of it. I'm pretty sure at least some of them have, since a number come from airline backgrounds.

I know in the past someone tried to get me to go to management and ask for CASS, but after looking at what was involved I declined. It would involve a lot of paperwork, and I would personally rather pay for a guaranteed seat than try to fly standby.

Last edited:
Now that I've paid my $100 lifetime Global Entry fee, I don't see that it would do me that much good, so I am unlikely to spearhead this, but I'll ask around to see if others have heard of it. I'm pretty sure at least some of them have, since a number come from airline backgrounds.

I know in the past someone tried to get me to go to management and ask for CASS, but after looking at what was involved I declined. It would involve a lot of paperwork, and I would personally rather pay for a guaranteed seat than try to fly standby.

I believe CASS is a lot more work, but sooooo worth it. The problem there is you need to reciprocate. When I was flying 135 at my last job there was no way to do that so it never happened.

That said, KCM has definite benefits over GE.

I'll leave it at that, but feel free to PM me if you want more info.

I have no problem with Southwest. In fact I choose it over others, mostly because there is no change fee. And I like the open seating, although I know many don't.

I normally like it also... right up until someone who doesn't understand the Hunger Games Seat Selection Rules(TM) screws it all up.

Then I turn into Walter. Hahaha.

http://youtu.be/VyFpOp8Ft0Q

I normally like it also... right up until someone who doesn't understand the Hunger Games Seat Selection Rules(TM) screws it all up.

Then I turn into Walter. Hahaha.

http://youtu.be/VyFpOp8Ft0Q

I will NEVER voluntarily fly SWA. The few times I have been forced to do so I have self paid for early boarding.

Agreed. I happen to think SWA is a much more pleasant experience than Delta, AA, or UAL. The crew is cheerful and pleasant 95% of the time, and you always know what aircraft you're getting. They don't have change fees, baggage fees, free movies, TV, books on WiFi, etc. (although it's all worked into ticket price). I have no problem flying SWA, and used to be A-List for several years which at least got me my window seat guaranteed. However, the repeal of the Wright Amendment has led SWA to remove a lot of the routes that used to run through TUL, so they aren't as convenient on a lot of my trips anymore.

American's crews are almost always bitter and seem like they hate life, most of their aircraft are looking ragged. UAL is a mixed bag, but at least once you get status the bag fees disappear. Delta couldn't be on time to save their life, and having to go through Atlanta is awful most of the time.

If you're flying coach anyway, I'll take SWA every time. I really don't understand what difference it makes if you have open seating vs assigned seats. At least with open seating, you have a chance to choose the seatmates, with assigned seats you're pretty much stuck with it.

As a 6'6" individual, who was once nearly 500lbs (don't worry, I kept it in my own seat even at that weight) I always liked SWA for the fact that I could board early and not ruin someone's(including my own) trip.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lifetime? I thought it was only for 5 years and then you get to do it again.

American's crews are almost always bitter and seem like they hate life, most of their aircraft are looking ragged. UAL is a mixed bag, but at least once you get status the bag fees disappear. Delta couldn't be on time to save their life, and having to go through Atlanta is awful most of the time.

I ride UAL most of the time. They go where I need to go and I am a Million Mile Flyer, so Premier Gold is as low as I go in status (this year is Gold for the first time in years, always higher in the past). No bag fees and E+ seating at booking.

Delta has another problem. I've NEVER had adequate legroom on a Delta flight. Dating back to a DC-8 in 1976. Flying sardine cans. I avoid that airline like the plague.

I believe CASS is a lot more work, but sooooo worth it. The problem there is you need to reciprocate. When I was flying 135 at my last job there was no way to do that so it never happened.

That said, KCM has definite benefits over GE.

I'll leave it at that, but feel free to PM me if you want more info.

I was under the impression that the KCM database ran off of CASS, as they are both ran by ARINC. KCM is great, don't have to do anything, just wish it was at more airports.

I was under the impression that the KCM database ran off of CASS, as they are both ran by ARINC. KCM is great, don't have to do anything, just wish it was at more airports.

I'm not positive, but I don't think it's connected. KCM is more TSA, and CASS is more FAA.

That said, you can be in CASS, but without reciprocal agreements what good is it?

Nate, and others......

GREAT stories.....

Keep um coming...:yes:

I hate being a passenger on the airlines as much as the next guy, but I realize it's by far the most practical way to travel long distances.

I'm not positive, but I don't think it's connected. KCM is more TSA, and CASS is more FAA.

That said, you can be in CASS, but without reciprocal agreements what good is it?

Either way, neither database is ran by the government, it's privately done. Some airlines allow CASS verified crew to ride in open cabin seats, regardless of a jumpseat agreement.

Either way, neither database is ran by the government, it's privately done. Some airlines allow CASS verified crew to ride in open cabin seats, regardless of a jumpseat agreement.

That would be rare. Our jumpseat agreement went off line for two days due to a computer changeover. During those two days we could not except jumpseaters. During those two days we were also banned from other carriers jumpseats due to lack of reciprocity.

Don't confuse a courtesy ride with a CASS jumpseat.

That would be rare. Our jumpseat agreement went off line for two days due to a computer changeover. During those two days we could not except jumpseaters. During those two days we were also banned from other carriers jumpseats due to lack of reciprocity.

Don't confuse a courtesy ride with a CASS jumpseat.

Don't confuse CASS with the jumpseat. All CASS is for is verifying employment, a quick glance at a published jumpseat guide gives me a couple smaller airlines that randomly selected say that if you are in CASS, you're welcome to ride, no reciprocity required.

Don't confuse CASS with the jumpseat. All CASS is for is verifying employment, a quick glance at a published jumpseat guide gives me a couple smaller airlines that randomly selected say that if you are in CASS, you're welcome to ride, no reciprocity required.

CASS stands for "Cockpit Access Security System".
Again, I could be wrong, but you need to apply for that (not sure how exactly). Yes it proves employment, but employment does not give you cockpit access.

Example:
During my initial training it was Christmas. We had our company badges, but not yet in CASS. We could not even jumpseat our own airline home until we were in CASS.

CASS stands for "Cockpit Access Security System".
Again, I could be wrong, but you need to apply for that (not sure how exactly). Yes it proves employment, but employment does not give you cockpit access.

Example:
During my initial training it was Christmas. We had our company badges, but not yet in CASS. We could not even jumpseat our own airline home until we were in CASS.

Seriously, what kind of operation doesn't put their own people in the system on day 1?

Correct, CASS doesn't give you cockpit access, the only person who gives you cockpit access is the PIC, after you've been verified in CASS, and only then if the cabin is full. On the flip side, even if they can't pull you up in CASS, depending on airline policy, you may or may not be able to ride in the back as a jumpseater.

Seriously, what kind of operation doesn't put their own people in the system on day 1?

Correct, CASS doesn't give you cockpit access, the only person who gives you cockpit access is the PIC, after you've been verified in CASS, and only then if the cabin is full. On the flip side, even if they can't pull you up in CASS, depending on airline policy, you may or may not be able to ride in the back as a jumpseater.

Many airlines have not completed all background checks by day 1 of ground school. In addition, ID's are not yet processed. My picture was taken on day 1, but the issuance of credentials took about a week.

I used to be a huge Southwest fan, but lately I pretty well dropped them and fly Delta exclusively. Why?

Because the Southwest planes are always full...like completely full.
The Delta flights are empty and I almost always get the whole row.

I know which I'd rather own....but....I prefer to book flights knowing there likely won't be many people on it.

Lifetime? I thought it was only for 5 years and then you get to do it again.
I was told the fee was lifetime, but they will do another background check and possibly interview you again in 5 years.

Back