Feedback on Aviation Media Forum

Pilots Of America Management

MC Announcements and Communication
Management Council Member
Display Name

Display name:
Pilots of America Management
By popular demand, the MC has created this sub-forum for Pilots of America members to share their aviation content, such as YouTube videos, with the community. Also by popular demand, we want to hear what you think of the new subforum and what ideas you have to improve it right out of the gate. Please share your feedback in this thread.

Thanks!

The Management Council

doesn’t impact me one way or another. let’s see if people actually use it.

Yeabut... a few triggered folks can put the damper on posting one's own video - so I don't think it's a bad idea.

I’m not against the new sub forum, rather, I think it’s a great idea and surprised it wasn’t done years ago. I’m just baffled by the hostility when someone posts a video.

By popular demand, the MC has created this sub-forum for Pilots of America members to share their aviation content, such as YouTube videos, with the community. Also by popular demand, we want to hear what you think of the new subforum and what ideas you have to improve it right out of the gate. Please share your feedback in this thread.

Thanks!

The Management Council
I don’t like it. If someone doesn’t like those kind of posts they can just choose to not look at them. Sometimes they initiate some very informative discussions. There really aren’t that many of them anyway. Sheesh.

I don’t like it. If someone doesn’t like those kind of posts they can just choose to not look at them. Sometimes they initiate some very informative discussions. There really aren’t that many of them anyway. Sheesh.
The sub-forum is simply grouping these videos in one place. They’re still permitted and will still generate that informative discussion. What part of the change do you dislike? I’m confused.

Glad to see the new section.

The number of videos posted with no text in the post (or at least nothing substantial) has gotten annoying. Seems like a lot of clickbait to try to get Youtube views lately. Previously there was no way to tell. Now I can just ignore that section.

Sure I could do what I did in the past and just ignore those posts after clicking on them. This just allows me to filter those out easily now.

I’m just baffled by the hostility when someone posts a video.
I assume that there is a perception that people are "using" POA to line their own pockets by generating clicks???

FWIW - over the last 365 days, I got 200 views from POA - 0.8% of my total views - in the neighborhood of 2 cents before taxes.

I assume that there is a perception that people are "using" POA to line their own pockets by generating clicks???

FWIW - over the last 365 days, I got 200 views from POA - 0.8% of my total views - in the neighborhood of 2 cents before taxes.

a “thank you” would be nice

I'm a little bit confused - what constitutes 'aviation media' for the purpose of grouping it in to this forum, versus aviation media that is still posted in other forums?

Hey! Here is a cool aviation related video by someone else that I think you will like.
vs.
Hey! Here is a cool aviation related video by me that I think you will like.
vs.
Hey! Here is a cool non-aviation related video by someone else that I think you will like.
vs.
Hey! Here is a cool non-aviation related video by me that I think you will like.
vs.
Here is someone's video that addresses the topic under discussion.
vs.
Here is my video that addresses the topic under discussion.
vs.
Here is some semi random video because I am being a smart ass.

I would think that the first two (four?) should appear in the media sub forum...

Where do all the Gryder videos go?

I don’t think it’s necessary. I can tell from those who are trying to get interest (subscribers) in their channel. I skip their stuff. Generally it’s not something I watch anyway. On occasion I’ll watch Kevin’s 310 channel but he’s also good in not pushing that on us here.

If we’re going to keep it, limit it to those who are posting from their channel and not some random YT link that we do on occasion. Plenty of times I’ll link an accident where I have no connection with the vid and it’s content should go into the Aviation Mishap folder.

A good idea. too many of these YouTubers use POA as their own little dumping ground, and participate minimally otherwise. Better to give them their own little sandbox.

guess I’m a lil confused…..looks like my DART video was moved to the new sub, but why? it was more a topic of discussion, it had nothing to do with pushing a video. again, not that I care, but I don’t get it. now that the sub exists, I still wouldn’t have thought to post it in that one.

guess I’m a lil confused…..looks like my DART video was moved to the new sub, but why? it was more a topic of discussion, it had nothing to do with pushing a video. again, not that I care, but I don’t get it. now that the sub exists, I still wouldn’t have thought to post it in that one.
Guess you’ll have to link to a link..

Some of the POA folks crack me up. Why click on a link you’re not interested in? If you don’t like something why do others have to give up something they enjoy? Keep the new sub forum and move on.

So if I post a link to my blog about our recent travels and it has videos included in the blog post do I post it in the new media forum?

On making money…
You have to have a crap load of subscribers to make $ on YT. Some of us just like to document our flights and share them.

I am more interested in my blog and documenting our travels. WHY? Because it makes it easy to remember where we stayed, favorite restaurants, and airport info.

Ok, time to go order a case of oil, two filters, and some camguard.

Safe Flights!

Those youtubers are trying to steal all the poor pilot's money.......lol. Do people really complain about **** like this?

I’m not opposed to a sub-forum for videos. But I’ll echo some of the previous comments, PoA is a very small source of traffic. My video thread has over 2200 views, the video has gotten a whopping 60 views from PoA. And again for the record, getting ziltch for my videos on YT. Just enjoy making them and hope folks enjoy watching them, like so many other pilots who share their flying videos.

Last edited:
I’m not opposed to a sub-forum for videos. But I’ll echo some of the previous comments, PoA is a very small source of traffic. My video thread has over 2200 views, the video has gotten a whopping 60 views from PoA. And again for the record, getting ziltch for my videos on YT. Just enjoy making them and hope folks enjoy watching them, like so many other pilots who share their flying videos.

You would have 5 more views if the “get off my lawn” crowd clicked on it. :)

The sub-forum is simply grouping these videos in one place. They’re still permitted and will still generate that informative discussion. What part of the change do you dislike? I’m confused.
Yeah. I do searches via forum so this is another one I gotta go to if I wanna see what's in it. Ain't that big a deal. I can live with it. I still think it's as someone put it, a solution in search of a problem. And I just don't like the I don't like Tubers mind bent and how dare they have the nerve to post their stuff here. But yeah they still can in the new forum. So I'll just bow out and stfu about it.

I think it's fantastic.

On a completely unrelated note, is it possible to block an entire forum from showing up under "Recent Posts"?

MC, let's kill this. If monentizing Youtubers are trying to take over then that is a different issue, but lets let posters share their finds.

Some of the POA folks crack me up. Why click on a link you’re not interested in?
Good question.

Now, which of these topics should I not click on if I'm interested in the stated topic but not interested in watching a self-serving YouTube video?

Uavionix AV30 and upgrades to a Cessna 170B
Lessons learned from grass operations.
Stall warning, we asked the experts
Why slow flight practice is so important
Winter flying
Why I chose a Cessna 170 over a 180, or Super cub
High on final, overshooting final.
Angle of attack indicator explained
Before Take off, tips that can save you.
VGs do they work? We interview an expert.
Grass field operations
Tail dragger techniques
Cessna mods for the backcountry

It's a trick question; all of these are just clickbait headlines for videos. And that's why people click on links they're not interested in.

MC, let's kill this. If monentizing Youtubers are trying to take over then that is a different issue, but lets let posters share their finds.
Kill what? We’re letting posters share their finds…

POA is a discussion forum. You start a new thread with the intent to start a discussion. Starting a new thread to link to your own YouTube video or blogpost always seemed to me to be silly and redundant at best and spammy at worst. YT already has a comment section.

I see it simply as a central place to collect and go to see aviation videos that are linked or uploaded by POA members, famous, infamous, or unknown (even drive-by POAers).

I think it's fantastic.

On a completely unrelated note, is it possible to block an entire forum from showing up under "Recent Posts"?

Yes, if you go into a section of the forum on the top right there's an "ignore forum" button you can click. That gives you options of how completely you want to ignore it.

ignore.JPG

Yes, if you go into a section of the forum on the top right there's an "ignore forum" button you can click. That gives you options of how completely you want to ignore it.

View attachment 111018
Can you create a video discussing how to do this?

It's a trick question; all of these are just clickbait headlines for videos. And that's why people click on links they're not interested in.

Clickbait is when you promise one thing and deliver another. Are you saying those videos weren't about the topics in the headline? Or just that we should cater exclusively to you and your desire to not have videos here?

For example, this video about to properly do a hot start on a fuel injected engine.

So, I come to POA for toot reasons. Entertainment and education. And if I post a link for a video (mine or others) it is for one of those two reasons which, I would hope, add to the value of the discussion in some manner. Period. If you think I'm doing it just for the clicks, then **** you and the horse you rode in on. :)

BTW, if someone were to do something silly like a Rick Roll, one should at least link the best version of the song...

Clickbait is when you promise one thing and deliver another. Are you saying those videos weren't about the topics in the headline? Or just that we should cater exclusively to you and your desire to not have videos here?

For example, this video about to properly do a hot start on a fuel injected engine.

Lol!!!

Back