Feedback on Aviation Media Forum

Was there a poll to do this??? I don't remember one. Here's the deal, managing a site like this is tough. You have a pretty good sized population that is mostly content. Then you have many less ,vocal people ,who are dissatisfied with something and make a lot of noise. The people in charge of changing stuff can be fooled into thinking something is a problem or they can make a change to make the noise makers shut up.

If this sub forum is just for content creators to promote their content, then fine. If the mods are going to actively move posts from sub-forums to this sub, then I think that is problematic. Let's say I get footage of an incident, make a video, and put it in aviation mishaps, does a mod come along and say "hey, you are a creator, of to this new sub-forum for you"? If so, I think that sucks.

To those who complain about this type of thing, really? Just click out of the offending forum and move on with your life. Personally I don't watch every video that is posted here, but I've never gotten worked up over someone promoting their video, if I'm not interested I move on. It's pretty simple.

Edit: sometimes punctuation is critical.

So, I come to POA for toot reasons. Entertainment and education. And if I post a link for a video (mine or others) it is for one of those two reasons which, I would hope, add to the value of the discussion in some manner. Period. If you think I'm doing it just for the clicks, then **** you and the horse you rode in on. :)

BTW, if someone were to do something silly like a Rick Roll, one should at least link the best version of the song...

I only had enough time to watch the animal farting video. ok and part of the quasi-rickroll. FINE, I watched the animal farting video twice, ok?!?

Clickbait is when you promise one thing and deliver another. Are you saying those videos weren't about the topics in the headline? Or just that we should cater exclusively to you and your desire to not have videos here?

For example, this video about to properly do a hot start on a fuel injected engine.
I'm saying on a discussion forum, a headline like that suggests a discussion on the topic. On YouTube, such a headline would suggest a video on the topic. Now that we have a forum geared toward videos, we have truth in advertising. Posters could have voluntarily labeled their threads, "My new video about xyz," but, for some reason, they generally chose not to. I wonder why?

And I don't give a flying fig what you cater to. Just accurately describe what you're doing.

I'm saying on a discussion forum, a headline like that suggests a discussion on the topic. On YouTube, such a headline would suggest a video on the topic. Now that we have a forum geared toward videos, we have truth in advertising. Posters could have voluntarily labeled their threads, "My new video about xyz," but, for some reason, they generally chose not to. I wonder why?

And I don't give a flying fig what you cater to. Just accurately describe what you're doing.
I get what you’re saying. I tend to give people the benefit of the doubt and think they’re posting their video here for users to watch and then discuss some matter about what occurred in their video. That may or may not hold true for everyone who posts a video here.

Regardless, some folks enjoy watching the videos that get shared here, whether they’re intended for discussion or just a ‘drop and run’ type scenario, while others dislike it entirely. Either way, they’re still permitted here, nothing has changed on that front at all, we just have a specific sub-forum to corral them to now, so if you enjoy it, then great, you’ve got an entire space dedicated for it now. If you don’t, then you can ignore that sub and never have to be bothered by it anymore.

Iffen, for example, I were to start a thread about how a wing generates lift, I may lead off with a video to start the discussion. I don't see "discussion" and "video" as mutually exclusive. Being able to pop up diagrams, animations, or at least sketching on the screen can be better ways to illustrate a point than trying to worderate a point.

Probably because most of them want to discuss their videos on this discussion forum.
All of the topics in my earlier posts are real topics, posted by a member who likes to post a lot of videos and doesn't even reply to questions in his own threads. A particularly gruesome example, but there are others. So no, I don't think posters use misleading topic names to generate discussion.

Iffen, for example, I were to start a thread about how a wing generates lift, I may lead off with a video to start the discussion. I don't see "discussion" and "video" as mutually exclusive. Being able to pop up diagrams, animations, or at least sketching on the screen can be better ways to illustrate a point than trying to worderate a point.
That be great! I only object to threads where the video is the only point. And now I can ignore them all with one click, so I'm happy!

I wonder if some of single post video posters never come back because of the certain few who post multiple complaints about the time they wasted clicking on a youtube link and discovering that it is a video?

All of the topics in my earlier posts are real topics, posted by a member who likes to post a lot of videos and doesn't even reply to questions in his own threads. A particularly gruesome example, but there are others. So no, I don't think posters use misleading topic names to generate discussion.

Ok, that's fair. Some don't.

Last edited:
By popular demand, the MC has created this sub-forum for Pilots of America members to share their aviation content, such as YouTube videos, with the community. Also by popular demand, we want to hear what you think of the new subforum and what ideas you have to improve it right out of the gate. Please share your feedback in this thread.

Thanks!

The Management Council
Won't affect my browsing, I always use 'recent posts' view so I see everything in one list. Category schmategory. (shmategory? smategory?, idk)

I like the separate place. Along the lines of having a separate table at an event for the little kids.

Or maybe a better analogy - it's a label on the room that says "warning, someone is showing their vacation slides in here." Or super-8 home movies.

Public-service announcement: The Watsonville thread has some videos in it. :hairraise:

By popular demand, the MC has created this sub-forum for Pilots of America members to share their aviation content, such as YouTube videos, with the community. Also by popular demand, we want to hear what you think of the new subforum and what ideas you have to improve it right out of the gate. Please share your feedback in this thread.

Thanks!

The Management Council
Point of clarification:

When you say it's a place for PoA members to share "their" aviation videos, does that mean videos hosted by the person who is posting it here? The reason I ask is that none of the videos I have posted in this section are from a channel that belongs to me (since I don't have such a channel). So did I really need to post them here, or could I have posted them in a topic-appropriate section of the Forum?

Point of clarification:

When you say it's a place for PoA members to share "their" aviation videos, does that mean videos hosted by the person who is posting it here? The reason I ask is that none of the videos I have posted in this section are from a channel that belongs to me (since I don't have such a channel). So did I really need to post them here, or could I have posted them in a topic-appropriate section of the Forum?

I posted a video that wasn't from me or about me in any way that I wanted to use to open a dialogue with but it went straight to the Aviation Media Forum. It appears if you post into an already open thread, even from your own channel, it won't be moved.

I don't believe this will answer your question though as there are others that it appeared should have been sent to the Aviation Media forum but were not.

So my best answer ... :dunno:

I posted a video that wasn't from me or about me in any way that I wanted to use to open a dialogue with but it went straight to the Aviation Media Forum. It appears if you post into an already open thread, even from your own channel, it won't be moved.

I don't believe this will answer your question though as there are others that it appeared should have been sent to the Aviation Media forum but were not.

So my best answer ... :dunno:
Yeah I had the same issue. I was under the understanding the new forum was for promotion of videos, but perhaps I was wrong. My thread kind of died when it got stuck in there, but it had mostly run its course anyway.

Clickbait is when you promise one thing and deliver another. Are you saying those videos weren't about the topics in the headline? Or just that we should cater exclusively to you and your desire to not have videos here?

For example, this video about to properly do a hot start on a fuel injected engine.
I'm not the poster you responded to, but I enjoy aviation videos on occasion, but have many more hours in a day I can read something in the background but not watch a video. The titles and content are good topics, but often we see all of the content in the video, which means anyone who wants to meaningfully participate in the thread needs to go watch the video. For example, someone posted a list of titles, those are ALL interesting aviation topics, but we have a text based discussion forum, if you're going to start a thread with one of those title, I'd want your original post to go through the topic and considerations. You could link to a video as well, but mostly, the posts just seem to promote the video, not bring the key content from the video into the text based discussion. This is what annoys some of us. We see an interesting topic, click it, and the first post in only a link to the video with a few sentences about the video, instead of a normal 2-3 paragraph opening on what the poster is trying to share.

I don’t think a video you take and share to discuss should be treated any different than a picture.

I don’t see Lowflynjack’s photo threads any different than one of the pro video producers. Don’t get me wrong, I’m not suggesting his threads should be banished, quite the opposite.

I don’t like most of the professional YouTubers, but, even more, I fundamentally don’t understand why it’s so difficult to simply ignore content you aren’t interested in.

I think I missed a lot of good stuff because it got duck shoved in here. And I'm sure I will miss much more.

I just checked out the 20 most-recent threads in that forum (which I can now easily block all of). They're all exactly where I would expect them to be if I was looking for them, and I don't feel like I missed anything. I would describe this as success.

Back