Feedback about being a pilot as a career

What they said. The best defense is either a spouse that can work or a big enough bankroll to train you for something else, if you lose your medical. Get your degree in something that you're interested in.

This. My degree is in Landscape Architecture, and was probably worthless 5 years after I got it. I agree with EvilEagle in that a degree other than aviation would be an advantage if you either medically disqualify, or decide that it's not for you within a few years, but after that, it doesn't matter much. I know people with engineering degrees who didn't become engineers after they were furloughed, because they found out they had been away from the industry too long. On the other hand, I don't think I would have gotten a degree in Aviation if I had to do it over, even though I spent virtually my whole career in aviation. I'm one of those people who thinks that it's good to have a well-rounded education and to be exposed to other things besides the way you plan to earn your money.

Go to Walmart and buy 10 cases of Van Camps Pork n Beans along with 40 packages of hot dogs. Live on that for one month then come back and ask that question again.

tex

Go to Walmart and buy 10 cases of Van Camps Pork n Beans along with 40 packages of hot dogs. Live on that for one month then come back and ask that question again.

tex

Sounds like you need to hit the gym bro!

...it's simple, if you LOVE what you do/work...everything else will follow. My suggestion is to get him in the air now...I worked for flight time!

I've met people who "chased their passion" and ended up dead broke, hating it, and looking at becoming accountants to make some money, too. LOL.

I don't think chasing a passion is a guarantee of success. :)

But most pilots will stop flying prior to retirement due to developing medical issues which make them ineligible for a first class medical.

Most? As in the majority? I don't think the numbers bear that out.

All I know is my engineering career won't pay for an RV8...if I want to be able to afford a Vans I gotta be a pilot making the big bucks! :p

LOL. DaveRamsey.com. :)

This. My degree is in Landscape Architecture, and was probably worthless 5 years after I got it.

I need a retaining wall built. Can you draw that for me? LOL.

Or maybe just a nice shrubbery... cut down in the forest... with a herring!

I've met people who "chased their passion" and ended up dead broke, hating it, and looking at becoming accountants to make some money, too. LOL.

I don't think chasing a passion is a guarantee of success. :)

Most? As in the majority? I don't think the numbers bear that out.

LOL. DaveRamsey.com. :)

I need a retaining wall built. Can you draw that for me? LOL.

Or maybe just a nice shrubbery... cut down in the forest... with a herring!

I've heard of Dave Ramsey...but what are you getting at?? Are you saying if I listen to Dave I can own my own Vans RV8?!?

I guess I just struggle sitting at a desk all day as an engineer...seems like flying would be a hell of a fun career.

Honestly if the pay wasn't so horrific at the beginning/middle I would probabaly jump ship ASAP. For now though my plan is to pay for my ratings with my engineering job...if I want to jump ship at least I won't have any debt.

Last edited:
Back