FBO Parking Question

ripnet

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
ripnet
I flew to a nearby airport with an FBO, maybe 5 times now. The previous times there was always a lineman guiding me into a parking spot. Yesterday, he wasn't there.

I entered the ramp, waited for about 30 seconds, and still, no one was there. A storm was approaching, so I just picked an area that was easy to taxi into without assistance; I didn't want to wait. As soon as the prop stopped, someone walked out to put the chocks in, etc and he seemed a bit perturbed that I chose that spot. I offered to move it but he begrudgingly said, "no, it's fine". I went on with my day.

Is there an etiquette in this situation? Should I have waited? Or called UNICOM?

Also, for any of you CFIs out there that don't normally use an FBO: please fly to one with your students. I've read the AIM and saw countless YouTube videos, so I understood the hand-signals, to flash the taxi lights when ready to depart, etc, but I was never taught this.

Call up on Unicom. If no one answers that's their problem. I'd do what you just did and park myself.

Option 1) Follow line guy
Option 2) Call up FBO Unicom and ask where to park
Option 3) Take your best guess and just park it. I have had to move more than once after no instructions or guidance but usually they will move it for you.

Also helps to give them a call ahead of time to let them know that you are coming so they expect your tail # and know your intentions. Many FBOs will monitor tower and/or ground and will know when you land and have a line guy ready to direct you if they catch your tail # on frequency.

Every FBO is different in what they expect and amazingly few to none have any info available for transient pilots as what to do or expect upon arrival published anywhere other than calling ahead.

Last edited:
At my FBO we have people listening to ground/tower/unicom most of the time so we have at least a little notice to get out and catch them.

Calling up on the UNICOM and letting us know you are coming is a great way to let us know and have us waiting for you on the ground. And other than that, picking a spot and going for it is your next best option. We have tugs and towbars if you need to be moved. I would say try to park with the same size aircraft as you to avoid ruffling feathers and taking the VIP spots.

Our spots in front of the door are the prime spots and the fbo policy is to try to hold those out for the bigger and faster guys. Row 2 is farther and row 3 is farthest. Usually small pistons get row 3. But it is closer to power outlets for the portable A/C cart which I use to make up for it!

What the others have said. And I also agree with @ripnet that CFI's should include this how too as part of the "real world" knowledge beyond the PTS/ACS

CFIs are not going to include this or refueling because most of the "Yeagers in training" out there are already complaining that they're at 60 hours and should have tested at 40.1 hours.

I didn't care about training length or cost finishing at 67 hours, which included:

1. Getting light gun simulation on 6 TNGs (tower thanked us - we picked a slow day)
2. Flying the 152 with doors and trim all the way to the threshold
3. Additional upset training

I flew to a nearby airport with an FBO, maybe 5 times now. The previous times there was always a lineman guiding me into a parking spot. Yesterday, he wasn't there.

I entered the ramp, waited for about 30 seconds, and still, no one was there. A storm was approaching, so I just picked an area that was easy to taxi into without assistance; I didn't want to wait. As soon as the prop stopped, someone walked out to put the chocks in, etc and he seemed a bit perturbed that I chose that spot. I offered to move it but he begrudgingly said, "no, it's fine". I went on with my day.

Is there an etiquette in this situation? Should I have waited? Or called UNICOM?

Also, for any of you CFIs out there that don't normally use an FBO: please fly to one with your students. I've read the AIM and saw countless YouTube videos, so I understood the hand-signals, to flash the taxi lights when ready to depart, etc, but I was never taught this.

There are how many thousands of FBOs in the US in all shapes and sizes. Many times an FBO has one person on duty. That person might be washing planes, attending to the fuel truck/farm, running a errand for the company, or any number of tasks other than parking planes.

Yes, calling on Unicom is a good plan, but don't get honked if they don't answer. You are PIC and given the circumstances you did fine.

Back