FB **** Show!

OP uses social media to rant about social media. 8/10, would read again for the irony.

There is a fair amount of variability depending on platform.

Platforms with serious moderation, like PoA, can be more useful. On completely uncensored, like MeWe, one has to be willing to hit the block button immoderately at signs of trouble.

I don't seem to get any of the political BS on FB. I just don't 'friend' any loons. Only use the account to follow a few sites . FB also thinks that I am a native russian speaker, that may cut down on the harassment.

I don't seem to get any of the political BS on FB. I just don't 'friend' any loons. Only use the account to follow a few sites . FB also thinks that I am a native russian speaker, that may cut down on the harassment.
Only because I don't send you any..WE can start. :)

Even notice It ain't BS if you agree with it.

Not sure if that's any better. Maybe its just my neighborhood... :p

Not just yours. I live very close to the airport, and our Nextdoor is mostly people whining about the airplanes flying overhead and running around with petitions to close it or at least oppose the current development plan.

I finally deleted my FB account. I posted that I was doing so in a few hours and that any of my friends who had moved and wanted to reestablish contact could PM me for my phone.

best thing I ever did for my sanity. The place is a crap show.

I did start a new account under a different screen name. No friends. Just use it for marketplace and my neighborhood pages, as well as finding out which MX tracks are doing what (most use FB for updates). I’ll never go back to full use though.

OK Boomer.
And.....that type of comment is one of the many reasons I dumped facebook. And...from a mod, no less. I exoected more class from you...which you have definitely shown in the past.

What's funny is that I left POA years ago because it had become a complete sh**show. It had devolved into the same ten boring topics over and over, ad nauseum, with the same 15 posters trying to outdo each other in their witty responses.

I pop back in from time to time, and usually conclude that nothing has changed. YMMV.

In contrast, Facebook is what we make it. It's YOUR wall, with YOUR friends, easily controlled -- and if you can't figure out how to tailor it to your liking, well, go ask a young person how to change your settings.

Sent from my SM-T380 using Tapatalk

And.....that type of comment is one of the many reasons I dumped facebook. And...from a mod, no less. I exoected more class from you...which you have definitely shown in the past.
It's a joke. Yes facebook sucks, yes I participate in it still. Do I know why? not really, probably for the dozen aviation pages I'm on.

Thanks for the quick response...and apologies for thinking the worst.

I shut down my FB account 5 days ago and I think it was the right decision. 2000 people I have never met and I log on and they are all fighting constantly.
I liked the groups I was in but really, they were just micro-chasms of the bigger picture. arguing incessantly. I feel like FB is a push system now where most folks push content but don't really listen or absorb content.
Me included by the way. "Putting stuff out there" but who cares? I am dialing back everything at this point. If you want to find my content, you will and I don't need to shove it in front of your face.

I shut down my FB account 5 days ago and I think it was the right decision. 2000 people I have never met and I log on and they are all fighting constantly.
Wait, are you saying you friended 2000 people you've never met? Well there's your problem right there. I think I'm friends with a little over 100 people on FB. About 80% or better of those are people I've met and known. The rest are a handful of celebrities and a few who are friends of family members. If you're going to connect with large numbers of people you've never met, you're going to get a ****show every time.

One of my in-laws is an actor and voice over professional with some notable credits to his name. His FB account that has his actual name is a marketing vehicle and nothing more. His FB account that he uses as an actual FB account to connect with family and friends has a made up name.

I always find it humorous those that make the big announcement on FB of leaving. It’s always something like “I’m taking an indefinite leave of absence of FB to concentrate on personal development, blah, blah blah.” I’m always like, yeah you’ll be back in a couple of months. Sure enough, less than a month later they’re back with one of those “please indicate below with one word on your impression of me when we first met.” I always want to reply with narcissist. :)

Wait, are you saying you friended 2000 people you've never met?

I think he's saying that of his friends, there are 2000 of their friends who get stuff into his wall. On FB, you don't just see friend's posts, you see whatever others post into the thread too.

On FB, you don't just see friend's posts, you see whatever others post into the thread too.
You do. Unless you tell FB that you don't want to see those posts, which is easy to do. I've had friends who would post hot button type things. I just unfollow them and their posts, go away. There are no politics in my feed. There is no conspiracy theory in my feed. There is no bullying or trolling in my feed. If you're on my friend list, you can get away with posting those sorts of things twice. The first one is free, the second one gets you unfollowed. It takes very little time or effort to clean up your feed using this method.

You do. Unless you tell FB that you don't want to see those posts, which is easy to do. I've had friends who would post hot button type things. I just unfollow them and their posts, go away. There are no politics in my feed. There is no conspiracy theory in my feed. There is no bullying or trolling in my feed. If you're on my friend list, you can get away with posting those sorts of things twice. The first one is free, the second one gets you unfollowed. It takes very little time or effort to clean up your feed using this method.
Yeah, I feel like people who refuse to moderate their own newsfeed are the ones who usually feel the need to go on FB hiatus. I have a few hundred friends on FB, but I've met just about every one of them in person. I don't generally unfriend too many people, but I have unfollowed dozens of them if all they post are daily inspirational quotes and political garbage. I also use FB for the online marketplace, as it is much more informed these days than Craigslist, eBay, or the like. Hard to search the country for vehicles on autotrader when the are more listings on FB.

right, so your answer is unfriending people who say something you don’t like. These people who are supposedly your real life friends and family, but you cut them out if they say the wrong thing.

this is the S*** show I think of when I see FB. There is too much of it in the world and I believe it makes us closed minded and intolerant. That’s not what I want, so I quit the places where this goes on.

This place, still on the fence.

So, you tailor a social outlet so that the people you allow to interact with you adhere to the rules and guidelines you set forth as supreme commander, or you ignore them. That is not how real friends work in real life. Real friends in real life are messy... but you love each other enough to work through things and find the good in each other. Facebook places everyone in the "supreme being in control of all who follow" seat, which is seductively attractive to the vast majority of people. You control who is deemed worthy of your attention, and ignoring someone or "deleting" someone is just a click away. And then..... sadly...that attitude carries over to the rest of one's life.

To each his or her own. I find nothing healthy about social media. I'd be untruthful if I said this forum was worthless... I have had outside interactions with a few people I have "met" here and they've been great...would love to actually meet these folks in person sometime. Some discussions have been thoughtful and worthwhile. The signal to noise ratio has been better here than almost any other forum in which I've participated, not that there have been many. Having said that, the bickering, nastiness, self-aggrandizement, pomposity, and other negative human traits constantly on display due to the faceless, anonymous nature of posting usually leaves me with a negative view of humanity after reading a various number of posts rather than a positive. That, too, is probably linked to human nature...nasty folks seem to make more of an immediate impression than kind measured folks.

I am grateful for the opportunity to learn from others and for the help and kindness others have shown me here. I have tried to return some of that as best I can. I still think social media, be it facebook, instaspam, and even enthusiast forums, are a net loss to true humanity.

FB is a good place to get hacked...I stay away. I always hated to see my friends post pics of a half eaten sandwich and say " Guess where I had lunch today ? " Looking at close up selfies of old folks like myself day after day is not that appealing either. :) After we planned our 50th High School Reunion...I was over using FB.:)

So, you tailor a social outlet so that the people you allow to interact with you adhere to the rules and guidelines you set forth as supreme commander, or you ignore them. That is not how real friends work in real life.
Actually, I think it does. If you wear a MAGA hat and have a Trump banner in your yard, and your neighbor goes out every night wearing an ANTIFA shirt and throwing Molotov cocktails at the Federal courthouse, forming a friendship is going to be damn awkward. People tend to collect with like individuals.

My best friend and I are on the opposite poles of the political spectrum, but for 45 years we've gotten along by NOT discussing politics. Yet if we'd met, say ten years ago, I suspect we'd probably not have started associating with each other.

I'm friends on Facebook with folks on both side of the political spectrum. Some I stopped following because their feeds were massively inclined toward political rants. Both sides tend to chime in on my posts, which are usually non-political in nature.

Ron Wanttaja

Actually, I think it does. If you wear a MAGA hat and have a Trump banner in your yard, and your neighbor goes out every night wearing an ANTIFA shirt and throwing Molotov cocktails at the Federal courthouse, forming a friendship is going to be damn awkward. People tend to collect with like individuals.

My best friend and I are on the opposite poles of the political spectrum, but for 45 years we've gotten along by NOT discussing politics. Yet if we'd met, say ten years ago, I suspect we'd probably not have started associating with each other.

I'm friends on Facebook with folks on both side of the political spectrum. Some I stopped following because their feeds were massively inclined toward political rants. Both sides tend to chime in on my posts, which are usually non-political in nature.

Ron Wanttaja
This has been my experience too.

I keep a presence but the only thing I use Facebook for anymore is Groups across several interests.

Just like life you need to tune out the BS and jackwaggons and yet absorb the useful information you want/need that is beneficial. For some reason people now think you need to be in a moral lock step in beliefs and values on everything to agree or learn anything from others.

I am amused by the people that get sucked in and emotionally involved in evert post they read and can’t just scroll on.

Actually, I think it does. If you wear a MAGA hat and have a Trump banner in your yard, and your neighbor goes out every night wearing an ANTIFA shirt and throwing Molotov cocktails at the Federal courthouse, forming a friendship is going to be damn awkward. ....

An interesting and telling parallel. On one side, we have a person wearing a hat in support of "Making America Great Again" and a banner in support of the president of our country, neither of which have ever been awful, friendship-preventing acts in the past ("oh, that guy supports this president... No WAY am I going to talk to HIM!"),. while on the other side we have some one engaged in criminal activity, violence, and vandalism, and yet those two sides are somehow seen as equally undeserving of friendship. Bizarre world. I can see not being interested in befriending an arsonist, but I see no reason to avoid friendships with those who don't share my political views as long as there's mutual respect and kindness shown.

As I've said elsewhere, I am a professional musician and I've taught at several universities. The VAST majority of my close friends are outspoken liberals. I love my friends, some of whom I've had for decades... Two of them, in particular, are like the brothers I never had. The thing is, in virtually every social setting I'm in, since the "crowd" I move in is fairly homogeneous politically, vehement president-bashing and NY governor-worship eventually surfaces. The strongest most vocal people doing so are, without exception, the same people who spend increasing amounts of time on Facebook at al. I know my friends well enough to know that for a fact. My closest friends know I'm conservative and we've had wonderful discussions, but if I spoke up and attempted to offer rationale and facts to support my views or counterpoint to the bashing and misplaced (in my opinion, of course) support when it occurs in those larger gatherings,those who have not been my lifelong friends would now simply "delete" me. That's not conjecture, that's fact. I've already lost two fairly steady, nice-paying enjoyable theater gigs I've been doing for decades because the contractor found out, through the grapevine and not from me,that I'm a conservative. I don't even talk about it in places where folks would be upset by it.

Another fun real story...I was the music director for another professional production recently and one of the actors had an opening monologue regarding the music and history of the 40s and WWII. In rehearsal he flubbed a line and ad libbed a pointed repudiation of Trump, then asked if he could keep that in the show. The director, a friend/acquaintance of mine whom I've worked with many times over the years, walked up to the stage and whispered something to the actor (whom I've also worked with several times over the years). A look of shock fell over the actor's face.
After rehearsal, pretty sure of what had transpired, I approached the actor and inquired as to what the director had said. The actor confirmed that the director had whispered that I was conservative,and the actor apologized for his comment. I told him he had nothing to apologize for..I don't hold anyone's good-hearted opinions against them. I'd like to think that same courtesy would be extended to me. Frequently, it no longer is... Because people become accustomed to controlling who are permitted to interact with them. As another poster has said, Facebook gives you a pool of 20 million people (or whatever the real number is) to pick from and surround yourself with your precise "friend" requirements. Real life provides you with far fewer people for personal contact, so empathy, compromise, taking-the-bad-with-the-good, seeing immediate human reaction to your actions and words..all of that...is needed and cherished. Whether one realizes it or not, time spent on Facebook changes you. One of my two "brothers" is now pretty much a Facebook addict, while the other one rarely uses it. It hasn't been a positive change in the one.

Last edited:
right, so your answer is unfriending people who say something you don’t like. These people who are supposedly your real life friends and family, but you cut them out if they say the wrong thing.

this is the S*** show I think of when I see FB. There is too much of it in the world and I believe it makes us closed minded and intolerant. That’s not what I want, so I quit the places where this goes on.
Maybe you're getting hung up on syntax a bit too much. I'm FB friends with a little over 100 people. In real life, there are about 4 or 5 people whom I would consider to be a friend. The rest are family or current/former coworkers or those whom I would consider to be acquaintances. FB labels them as friends, but that's not what most of them are.

If any one of those people were to come into my home and start spewing bigoted racist BS or any other toxic nonsense that causes me angst, they would be asked to leave my home immediately and they would not likely be invited back ever. Yes this even includes family. Us being related by blood or marriage does not endow you with the right to make my life worse by being in it so if that's what you're going to do, you won't be in my life. Simple. I treat my FB feed exactly the same way. If that means I'm causing the world to be the way it is today, well at least now we know whose fault it is I suppose.

An interesting and telling parallel. On one side, we have a person wearing a hat in support of "Making America Great Again" and a banner in support of the president of our country, neither of which have ever been awful, friendship-preventing acts in the past ("oh, that guy supports this president... No WAY am I going to talk to HIM!"),. while on the other side we have some one engaged in criminal activity, violence, and vandalism, and yet those two sides are somehow seen as equally undeserving of friendship. Bizarre world. I can see not being interested in befriending an arsonist, but I see no reason to avoid friendships with those who don't share my political views as long as there's mutual respect and kindness shown.

As I've said elsewhere, I am a professional musician and I've taught at several universities. The VAST majority of my close friends are outspoken liberals. I love my friends, some of whom I've had for decades... Two of them, in particular, are like the brothers I never had. The thing is, in virtually every social setting I'm in, since the "crowd" I move in is fairly homogeneous politically, vehement president-bashing and NY governor-worship eventually surfaces. The strongest most vocal people doing so are, without exception, the same people who spend increasing amounts of time on Facebook at al. I know my friends well enough to know that for a fact. My closest friends know I'm conservative and we've had wonderful discussions, but if I spoke up and attempted to offer rationale and facts to support my views or counterpoint to the bashing and misplaced (in my opinion, of course) support when it occurs in those larger gatherings,those who have not been my lifelong friends would now simply "delete" me. That's not conjecture, that's fact. I've already lost two fairly steady, nice-paying enjoyable theater gigs I've been doing for decades because the contractor found out, through the grapevine and not from me,that I'm a conservative. I don't even talk about it in places where folks would be upset by it.

Another fun real story...I was the music director for another professional production recently and one of the actors had an opening monologue regarding the music and history of the 40s and WWII. In rehearsal he flubbed a line and ad libbed a pointed repudiation of Trump, then asked if he could keep that in the show. The director, a friend/acquaintance of mine whom I've worked with many times over the years, walked up to the stage and whispered something to the actor (whom I've also worked with several times over the years). A look of shock fell over the actor's face.
After rehearsal, pretty sure of what had transpired, I approached the actor and inquired as to what the director had said. The actor confirmed that the director had whispered that I was conservative,and the actor apologized for his comment. I told him he had nothing to apologize for..I don't hold anyone's good-hearted opinions against them. I'd like to think that same courtesy would be extended to me. Frequently, it no longer is... Because people become accustomed to controlling who are permitted to interact with them. As another poster has said, Facebook gives you a pool of 20 million people (or whatever the real number is) to pick from and surround yourself with your precise "friend" requirements. Real life provides you with far fewer people for personal contact, so empathy, compromise, taking-the-bad-with-the-good, seeing immediate human reaction to your actions and words..all of that...is needed and cherished. Whether one realizes it or not, time spent on Facebook changes you. One of my two "brothers" is now pretty much a Facebook addict, while the other one rarely uses it. It hasn't been a positive change in the one.
This.

I've been unfriended recently by a couple of folks because I mentioned "the rest of the story" on a couple of half-fact politically motivated posts. And I included articles from publications generally aligned with their political leanings that supported my (more complete) facts. I'm about facts, not speculation, and since that didn't comport with their deep political views, I got cut off. Sad because we were friends for 30-ish years before all this came about: either you're 100% buying our views or you can't be a friend.

I’ve participated in online politics since Clinton was still president. In that time every year people keep telling me the candidate in office is a Marxist or a Nazi and that our country is about to become a totalitarian nightmare of some sort. Every. Single. President. The Rs always get called Nazis, the Ds always are communist or socialist and this is always the most important election ever.

Yet, when I turn off the news and go outside everything is pretty much the same every time regardless of who wins...hmmm...perhaps we live under a flawed but stable system that only allows for small changes?

I’m trying to take my own wisdom and just let stuff pass without comment. Not that the issues of the day aren’t important but the constant fight for team D or team R online really isn’t. I am trying to just walk away(not succeeding every time but trying). This crap is ruing the internet and I’m glad POA disallowed it.

Last edited:
One guys opinion

Attachments

• 118087519_10158644295714630_8726964607882412457_n.jpg
    118087519_10158644295714630_8726964607882412457_n.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 27
There are only three differences between poa and fb, ads, a common interest and poa offers some anonymity. I put up with you knuckleheads because you clowns talk aviation. If we didn’t have something in common, I would ignore you all. If somehow a person gets past my stringent fb vetting process and annoys me, ban hammer! No different than sitting next to someone at a bar.

I wholly support Facebook as a tool for law enforcement. Criminals enjoy boasting about their stolen swag or whatever, and they end up posting a photo....otherwise known as Exhibit A for the prosecution. :D

There are only three differences between poa and fb, ads, a common interest and poa offers some anonymity.
FB offers just as much anonymity as poa. You can create an account on either with any name you want.

An interesting and telling parallel. On one side, we have a person wearing a hat in support of "Making America Great Again" and a banner in support of the president of our country, neither of which have ever been awful, friendship-preventing acts in the past ("oh, that guy supports this president... No WAY am I going to talk to HIM!"),. while on the other side we have some one engaged in criminal activity, violence, and vandalism, and yet those two sides are somehow seen as equally undeserving of friendship.
Merely an analogy. Substitute the Antifa-T-Shirt guy for a man wearing a "Black Lives Matter" shirt, heading to a peaceful, legal, protest at city hall. With such obvious trappings, I don't see the two associating without some type of overwhelming reason (maybe their kids got arrested together at a Juggalo concert :).

But, remember, even the Antifa-guy's morality is situation-dependent. Take the same man, transport him back 240 years, give him a tricorne hat and a musket...and he ends up on the $50 bill. Or send him back ~158 years, put him in a grey kepi carrying the stars and bars....and they name an Army base after him.

There's only one place where persons of opposite political persuasions are forced to interact, and that's at their employment. Most employers try to restrict political discussions, with good reason: It has the potential for turning the workplace to the real-world equivalent of Facebook. Had one co-worker who'd come up to me occasionally and make a vile comment about a particular politician, then look at me expectantly, apparently desiring either agreement or an argument. No way, dude. Uh-uh.

Politics really hasn't changed...just look at history, such as the virulent interaction of Adams and Jefferson supporters. Adams even pushed through the Alien and Sedition acts, which banned public opposition to the government and caused a couple dozen newspaper editors to be arrested and tossed in jail.

What HAS changed is the ubiquitousness of political upheaval. In 1798, the newspaper would come out once a week. Now we have the 24-hour news cycle, which put my father in law in front of the TV 18 hours a day, upset at what they were telling him about his less-favorite politicians. Back then, political discussion was rife in taverns, and usually a given tavern would collect primarily left- or right-wing supporters. Go to the wrong tavern, state the wrong opinion, and find yourself tossed into the alley (or worse).

Today, we've got social media. No one can throw you out, you aren't in physical danger, you can be anonymous if you wish, you can be as hurtful and vile as your twisted heart desires. No one can shut you up (beyond removing you from FB friendship). People are focusing their lives on politics, and, IMHO, it really isn't healthy.

Ron Wanttaja

Back