FB **** Show!

3Y3Flyer

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
3Y3Flyer
I have been off of all social media for over a year...it was just becoming a **** show I didn't want to participate in, nor did i want to digitize my life memories for some data farm to use at their discretion. I re-joined FB this weekend to look at an aviation event that I worked at. I knew the local pilots would get alot of cool videos and pictures, and my working position was a couple thousand feet down the runway from the action, so I missed all the good stuff. Thought to myself..."myself, it will be okay for a couple days so you can see the airplanes." 48 hours is all I could stand.

What a freaking CF, **** Show, Crazy Town, imaginary BS world! I cannot believe people actually want to be apart of the crap that is spewed. I don't care what side of the voting booth, batters box, or crayon box you come from...no one should talk to, or be talked to, the way these folks are doing! This is not the same country I swore to defend, it is not what America stands for, and it is not the new F'n norm! God save our souls. Rant over...

My FB is not much more than photos from close family and funny cat videos. I've distanced myself from FB friends that want to constantly spew on about politics. I rarely post much on there anymore because of the job I have. I really only use it to stay in contact with family and friends that are long distance.

Using the Internet early on, I felt so excited about the possibilities and I really thought that technology was going to equalize and free the world, now I feel like we should burn it all to the ground. Social Media, News networks, Radio, even local newspapers have all been bought out by larger companies and consolidated. What I once thought would free us has actually enslaved us.

I have been off of all social media for over a year...it was just becoming a **** show I didn't want to participate in, nor did i want to digitize my life memories for some data farm to use at their discretion. I re-joined FB this weekend to look at an aviation event that I worked at. I knew the local pilots would get alot of cool videos and pictures, and my working position was a couple thousand feet down the runway from the action, so I missed all the good stuff. Thought to myself..."myself, it will be okay for a couple days so you can see the airplanes." 48 hours is all I could stand.

What a freaking CF, **** Show, Crazy Town, imaginary BS world! I cannot believe people actually want to be apart of the crap that is spewed. I don't care what side of the voting booth, batters box, or crayon box you come from...no one should talk to, or be talked to, the way these folks are doing! This is not the same country I swore to defend, it is not what America stands for, and it is not the new F'n norm! God save our souls. Rant over...
Remember, it's your 'friends' who are posting this stuff you don't like. Unfollow them if you don't want to see their posts.

FB is what you make of it. I follow airplane people and unfollow you over politics or religion. Keeps me happy and seeing cool airplane pics and stories. On the other hand, I’ll keep sharing here so you don’t have to be on FB!

I love Instagram by the way. Look at #airtoair or #aviation. No BS, no crazy stories, just cool pics.

Remember, it's your 'friends' who are posting this stuff you don't like. Unfollow them if you don't want to see their posts.

That's been my strategy. It's nothing personal, nor do I discriminate from one side or the other. I just don't let my feed get filled by the same people posting the garbage all day. FB can be what you want it to be, just click unfollow.

I stopped using FB in any serious way when Zuckerberg started calling for the government to regulate social media. Talk about classic behavior of the dominant player in a market trying to lock out competition.

Just use MeWe, PoA, and the local Nextdoor group nowadays.

That's been my strategy. It's nothing personal, nor do I discriminate from one side or the other. I just don't let my feed get filled by the same people posting the garbage all day. FB can be what you want it to be, just click unfollow.
Yes, I've unfollowed people from both sides who send a barrage of political stuff. I've also unfollowed people who seem to have posting diarrhea. An inspirational quote here and there is OK, but do you really feel you need to post 10 per day? I'm more interested in seeing what people are actually doing. Maybe they're not doing too much now so...

I'm not talking about "friends" posts...I agree with most of my friends. I am talking about group suggestions, ads, news feeds, and open discussion community feeds like "Rants and Raves". Not to mention the data mining that happens to everyone that joins....I'm a couple layers below timeline feeds. You're correct, those can be manipulated and filtered by the user.

I'm not talking about "friends" posts...I agree with most of my friends. I am talking about group suggestions, ads, news feeds, and open discussion community feeds like "Rants and Raves". Not to mention the data mining that happens to everyone that joins....I'm a couple layers below timeline feeds. You're correct, those can be manipulated by the user.
I've never heard of 'Rants and Raves' so it must be something you subscribed to. I agree that some of the ads are annoying. When they are too annoying I click on 'never want to see anything from this company/organization again'.

Despite the irritation and consternation it causes, I continue following friends and relatives with extreme political positions on both ends of the spectrum because it provides a daily lesson on how bat-**** crazy seemingly "normal" people can be. I have FB "friends" who have achieved much in their lives, some with advanced degrees, who spew the most inane BS. Then I think, "Well, they may be smart, but they're dang-sure stupid!"

Preach. I hate when flying clubs/gatherings are solely posted on facebook, as I shuttered my account years ago -- not only was the place as you describe, but I frequently couldn't help myself from sinking to their level and becoming the worst version of myself, always calling out the rivers of BS I witnessed across my daily feed. I lost more friends because of facebook than the ones that I was able to loosely "keep in touch with" by using FB -- a net loss.

Preach. I hate when flying clubs/gatherings are solely posted on facebook,. . .]

This. I find it’s become increasingly more common. For example, Flights Above the NW almost exclusively uses Facebook to schedule and announce events. Same with many other organizations. I know I can create a dummy FB account and use a VPN to limit the amount of data mining, but do I really need to take those steps just to learn about a fly-in that might be interesting?

I have logged into FB 3 times now, just to catch up on several aviation related FB groups, since I decided it, and Twitter, are both too full of trash. If it weren't for the fact that a lot of my aviation friends and (even businesses) seem to be geared toward FB as their primary method of communication, I would just delete the account all together (like I believe FB minions would ever really allow anything to be truly deleted).

I just ignore 99% of it. I manage 2 FB sites and we're careful about everything. We watch for spam postings, and similar. Can't do much about the ads but frankly, I don't even notice them. As for twitter, I religiously follow Thoughts of Dog, Ryan Reynolds and that's about it.

Facebook doesn’t have users, they have people being used. I quit years ago and only have an account to keep up with a couple of group where I check in once every couple of months.

I am tired of hearing people complain about how awful that other person is. They say “if only “they” would shut up and do things the way I say, it would all work.”

Tired of the immaturity. We are all different people and while we don’t need to agree, hate loses.

#UnfriendFacebook

rant mode off.

Was on feces book for about a year, and then dumped the time sucking cesspool. Never missed it.

What a freaking CF, **** Show, Crazy Town, imaginary BS world! I cannot believe people actually want to be apart of the crap that is spewed.
That sort of thing can be found in just about all forms of media. With TV, you change the channel. With FB, you unfollow or unsubscribe all the types of content you don't want to see. There is absolutely none of what you describe in my FB feed. It won't happen automatically but it really isn't hard to do.

The problem that I see that enables this stuff is that there’s no consequence to bad behavior. Say what you want. No filters. You are remote. you can’t reach through the computer to beat the crap out of the person spewing it your way. Where as in the small town I live in if you start showing your a$$ you will quickly lose friends and not get invited barbecues. For all of their problems I Love small towns

What people used to say to each other, and never in public, is now out there on FB. You won't find my family pictures there.

Just use .... the local Nextdoor group nowadays.
Me too, except it's just me and my one neighbor out here....and we don't need an internet connection, smart phone, or computer....we just stick our heads out the door and yell real loud...or maybe hike on over iffen it's real important....

Lol...for real. I just read the original post to my wife out loud. She was sure I had written it. Only giveaways that I didn't were timeline (I was on FB for about three months many years ago before closing my account and never looking back... if a business' only website is a FB site, they don't get my business...although I'm sure that's not exactly a heartbreaker) and copious asterisked profanity (although if there was ever a time when public profanity is appropriate, it's when used to describe FarceBook).

Last edited:
I stopped using FB in any serious way when Zuckerberg started calling for the government to regulate social media. Talk about classic behavior of the dominant player in a market trying to lock out competition.

Just use MeWe, PoA, and the local Nextdoor group nowadays.
I occasionally scan Farcebook for friends and family goings on, but NextDoor has driven me far far away - just can't handle the local whining, and last time I looked at it, it popped up some touchy feely agreement to play nice in the sandbox and don't point out ignorance .... "yeah, no .... we're done."

OP uses social media to rant about social media. 8/10, would read again for the irony.
Funny, thought the exact same thing.

Though I fault no one, I've just never had FB account, Twitter, or any of whatever is out there.

I choose to be creepy in various other ways.

The problem that I see that enables this stuff is that there’s no consequence to bad behavior. Say what you want. No filters. You are remote. you can’t reach through the computer to beat the crap out of the person spewing it your way. Where as in the small town I live in if you start showing your a$$ you will quickly lose friends and not get invited barbecues. For all of their problems I Love small towns
That sort of thing can be found in just about all forms of media. With TV, you change the channel. With FB, you unfollow or unsubscribe all the types of content you don't want to see. There is absolutely none of what you describe in my FB feed. It won't happen automatically but it really isn't hard to do.

This is it in a nutshell! "Unfollowing" and "unsubscribing" doesn't solve the fundamental problem, FB is toxic! It has been weaponized by some bad actors. And, it is being manipulated to control public opinion. MSM has not been nearly as effective as a propaganda medium as FB.

This is it in a nutshell! "Unfollowing" and "unsubscribing" doesn't solve the fundamental problem, FB is toxic! It has been weaponized by some bad actors. And, it is being manipulated to control public opinion. MSM has not been nearly as effective as a propaganda medium as FB.
If you are seeing 'bad actors', they are either your 'friends' or you have chosen to belong to groups that don't have strong moderation. FB isn't toxic, people are.

FB isn't toxic, people are.
100% agree. If FB or any other media platform isn't your cup of tea and you'd rather not participate, that's fine. But don't blame FB because people you connect with on it aren't of the caliber you'd like to see.

Just be ultra selective in who you connect with. Then, once you connect, be trigger happy with the unfriend option. Post something political, unfriend! Post a picture of your dinner, unfriend! Post too often, unfriend. Then conduct a purge periodically. I have found that keeps it easy to stay connected to those you actually want to hear from and not get too annoyed with everyone else. Swing the ban hammer early and often!

100% agree. If FB or any other media platform isn't your cup of tea and you'd rather not participate, that's fine. But don't blame FB because people you connect with on it aren't of the caliber you'd like to see.
Yet another agreement. I've quietly unfollowed (not unfriended) folks that insist on getting into political catfights, and I post little or no political stuff myself (because both sides disgust me). My feed is remarkably clear of rancor. I belong to several groups (aviation & writing related) and those are free of political content as well.

I also limit the folks that I friend on Facebook. Mostly people I personally know (former co-workers, etc.) or have been involved with for a while.

Ron Wanttaja

Yet another agreement. I've quietly unfollowed (not unfriended) folks that insist on getting into political catfights, and I post little or no political stuff myself (because both sides disgust me). My feed is remarkably clear of rancor. I belong to several groups (aviation & writing related) and those are free of political content as well.

I also limit the folks that I friend on Facebook. Mostly people I personally know (former co-workers, etc.) or have been involved with for a while.

Ron Wanttaja

Yep, my FB feed is nothing but airplane photos and cat videos. :D

I stopped posting on FB years ago. It’s really no more than friends bragging about what they’re eating or flying for work. Since it’s my primary connection to old friends, I’ll keep it to see who passes and who’s still alive.

Back